The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Thickness Issue Of Some Packet Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
There are a bunch of packet effects out there ("Poker Test" 1 and 2 being one of them, and "Nevermind" being another), that, for the people who own these effects, may have an issue with the thickness of the packet(s). (you are supposed to be showing 5 cards for Poker Test and 4 cards for nevermind). I tried taking some "Phil" style cards,(thin), and I R*****d them together, and they work perfectly! Does Bicycle or any other "poker sized" cards make these type of cards? Imagine not having to worry about the thickness of the cards doing this? I can only seem to find the "Phil" type cards in bridge size. I actually Made a "Poker Test" and a "Nevermind" using these cards. It looks like there is only 5 cards (Poker Test) and 4 cards (Nevermind). I was worried that the r******g f***d would make the thin cards "curl", but a light touch and they didn't. Anybody have any info about this?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
There are a bunch of packet effects that use extra cards -- more than are supposed to be there, and they go over just fine.
I think you may be suffering from so called "magician's guilt".

That said, if you want thin poker size cards, the Phoenix Double Decker is what you want. Pick up some regular Phoenix decks while you're at it and they'll blend right in.

See: http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=142
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Inigmntoya- Thanks for the info...maybe you're right about the magicians guilt thing. Funny thing is I have never been questioned or called out on having too many cards. Sometimes maybe due to the weather, the cards might not be perfectly lined up, and I don't mean they are not squared, I mean one card might curl slightly or bend a little bit and they wont be "pressed together" evenly, causing concern. Hopefully it IS just magicians guilt. But I still would feel much safer holding the packet at different angles with the thinner cards and not hold it on the "angle" you need to hold them to hide the thickness.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Natte, Use your dealing hand first finger to cover the front of the cards. Covers the thickness just fine.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2014, nattefrost wrote:
Inigmntoya- Thanks for the info...maybe you're right about the magicians guilt thing. Funny thing is I have never been questioned or called out on having too many cards. Sometimes maybe due to the weather, the cards might not be perfectly lined up, and I don't mean they are not squared, I mean one card might curl slightly or bend a little bit and they wont be "pressed together" evenly, causing concern. Hopefully it IS just magicians guilt. But I still would feel much safer holding the packet at different angles with the thinner cards and not hold it on the "angle" you need to hold them to hide the thickness.

Choreograph your movement so you manage the bad edge. If/when the edge is "facing" the audience, maintain the cards in relaxed motion. When you stop dead and say "Look at this," ensure that everything is 100% squared up.

Video yourself performing the packet trick, and watch what your edges look like.

The general rule of thumb is that cards can be pretty far from aligned if you're in motion, especially if you're using a deck with white-bordered backs.

If you are interested in more advanced material on this topic, Ascanio volume 2 deals with the handling of double cards.
eboetcker
View Profile
Regular user
Jacksonville, FL
187 Posts

Profile of eboetcker
If you watch the original Poker Test demo video, Gregory Wilson spreads the cards in such a way that they curve with his hand taking away any ability to see the cards "curl." Also, you can just give the cards a convex bend before and after performing, not a huge bend, just something slight to hold them together. Also, on the 2.0 DVD, I go over a method of "restoring" the cards with the freezer. It is crazy effective. You can also use reg. blank cards, but mix in the royal flush phil cards, Poker Test 2.0's gimmick is set up perfectly for that, since I no longer use R****g****d.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I've done Poker Test with the Phoenix Double Deckers, they work fine and do eliminate a lot of thickness.
BUT, that was really only because I already had them available to use anyway.
In truth, I have never found the extra thickness with various packet tricks like this to be an issue anyway so while the DD's do make a difference, it certainly isn't a necessity IMHO.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2014, AaronSterling wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2014, nattefrost wrote:

Choreograph your movement so you manage the bad edge. If/when the edge is "facing" the audience, maintain the cards in relaxed motion. When you stop dead and say "Look at this," ensure that everything is 100% squared up.

Video yourself performing the packet trick, and watch what your edges look like.

The general rule of thumb is that cards can be pretty far from aligned if you're in motion, especially if you're using a deck with white-bordered backs.

If you are interested in more advanced material on this topic, Ascanio volume 2 deals with the handling of double cards.

This^^

A lot of practical information that answers your questions. And yes, it does seem that you are plagued by "magician's guilt." Relax! If you are performing with confidence you are already light years ahead of your audience. Smile

Best,
Vlad
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Vlad_77, that's my problem. I stand there at the mirror and just hold the packet still and stare at it- looking for imperfections. I know that being in motion will hide that. I'm just thinking that if you used the "thin" cards, all the better. But Like I said earlier, I have not been called out on this- it probably IS just magicians guilt.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Although I will honestly say that I DO suffer from confidence issues a lot. I really need to stop that.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What you have to be careful of is TELEGRAPHING that guilt. If you subconsciously telegraph it, surely the audience will pick up on it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, nattefrost wrote:
Vlad_77, that's my problem. I stand there at the mirror and just hold the packet still and stare at it- looking for imperfections. I know that being in motion will hide that. I'm just thinking that if you used the "thin" cards, all the better. But Like I said earlier, I have not been called out on this- it probably IS just magicians guilt.

Then don't practice in front of the mirror. Luis Zingone famously said magicians should never engage in mirror practice. Video yourself (and watch it LATER, not in the moment), and perform before audiences of any size you can find. Don't be aware of yourself while performing; be aware of the people you are presenting to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Thickness Issue Of Some Packet Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL