The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What work (if any) do you put in your stack? (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Just wondering how many of you bother doing this. I hope this isn't considered rude or too personal. Smile Depending on what mood I'm in, I'll prepare an entire brick at once while I watch a movie or something.

I usually do this:
Short scallop on #1
Side Scallop on #26
Corner short on the bottom left and top right of #14 (to rifle up to with my right thumb)
Corner short on the top left and bottom right of #38 (to rifle down to with my left thumb)

I used to put a br**th** Cr**P in the bottom card but found that I often had to "refresh it", so I started going for the scalloped first. Anyway, this allows me to access the stack in quarters, and means I am at most only 7 cards away from the desired card in an instant. It also acts as a visual guide for estimation cuts as well.

To clarify, I don't always do this, only about half the time. Depends on my mood. Just wondering if anyone else does something similar or may have a different or better system they'd like to share.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Sometimes a breather on #1, but that's about it for me.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Read only work on 18 & 35. A joker with the works.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
baobow
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of baobow
I'm not a huge fan of putting a scallop in my cards. I find it problematic with my double lifts that affect doing a double below and above the scalloped card. Also with the scallop, the problem I get is if I angle the cards downwards, the scallop card doesn't stay flush with the deck and drops downward cause of the cut. Everyone has their opinion, and for me, I just not a fan of the scallop.

I personally Br**th** Cr**P the 1st, 12th, 28th, 38th card and mark them as well. The choice for the locations for the deck is because each of the cards are very different from eachother (I use Aronson stack and these cards are JS, 2D, 7C, 10H respectively) and are spaced enough that I won't confuse cutting between them. I won't say the effect I use, but that's my reason.

I think one thing that would be helpful when ppl are stating the work they are putting into the deck, they should also mention the rationale and reasoning of putting the work in the deck. If one of your main reasons for using mem deck is to get to a named card and cut as accurately and quickly as possible, then the breather method may be the perfect tool to accomplish this.

For me, I usually only perform 2-3 mem deck stacked effects in the middle of the card set. (usually Osterlind Challenge Mind reading, The effect is sort of mentioned above(didn't really mention it Smile) and a take on Osterlind's card calling inspired by the David Blaine at Cambridge performance. I will usually destroy my stack after this point. The effects I have chosen aren't really reliant on having to cut to a card accurately, and granted, the effects I have chosen could potentially be done with a cyclical stack. But I also love effects like Darwin Ortiz's Zen Master and Test your luck, and Aronson's Past, Present future and Every Body's Lazy or Michael Close's and Michael Vincent's take on Invisible Deck and Brainwave respectfully which are very very mem deck stack dependent but again these effects that I really like don't really require me to cut to a card accurately, the effects have been designed that I usually only need to determine a value of a card through very very fair conditions.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Marked Back #1
Corner Short #52
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
vindar
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
62 Posts

Profile of vindar
Similarly to Steven, I always mark card #1 and put a reverse breather on #52. I also put a reverse breather on one of the joker so that I have an other "locator" card when needed.
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
So I've been hearing these terms thrown around in a few other thread... What exactly is work? And where would be the best place to learn them?

Also I kind of understand what is being talked about here. I just want more detail.
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
"Work" means any kind of alterations of the cards.

breather cr**ps, corner cr**mps, sho*t cards (Normal, scallop or corner), pencil dots and the like.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
-Breather in the top card.
-Mark the top card.
-Mark the 11th card (which only helps for one trick, but it's a trick I perform often enough).
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, Alexxander wrote:
"Work" means any kind of alterations of the cards.

breather cr**ps, corner cr**mps, sho*t cards (Normal, scallop or corner), pencil dots and the like.

Thanks!... I thought that what was going on here.
Ken Abbott
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Ken Abbott
I scallop #1, corner short #26 bottom left and top right, corner short #40 bottom right and top left. I find that it helps me get to #1 easily to get back to starting position. People frequently name queen of hearts, the 26th card and the corner short helps me dribble to it easily.

I don't do any farro work with my memorized deck anymore, so I don't have to worry about the corner short cards. I went to a convention in vegas years ago, and knew that Michael Close was going to be there. So, I practiced my farros for months. When speaking with Michael, he said he doesn't do farros in performance anymore because he needs his reading glasses on to do them. It made sense to me so I stopped.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Marlo key card...varies on which card I place it.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
pookey
View Profile
New user
Nottingham, UK
19 Posts

Profile of pookey
I've recently been playing with this myself.

I started with a cut corner on 52 and 26, allowing me to cut to the centre and to reset. I use the same corner as figuring out where I am in the stack simply requires a bottom peak anyway.

I then put a tiny mark every 5th card in the top right and bottom left, and every 10th card in the top left and bottom right.

This allows me to reset the deck, and do a full table spread, and allow anyone to take any card they like, and I simply need to count to the left or right to the nearest mark to figure out the chosen card. It's an amazing affect that removes the need to peek or force in many situations.

I've also worked a marking system that allows me to tell teh difference between each marking too, so I can tell the difference between the mark on the 5, 15, 25, 35, and 45 (the same markings are used in opposite corners for 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 too). The only problem I have with this is that the marks get a little more obvious and take a little more concentration. Also this is hard to read without my glasses Smile
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
I don't modify any of my cards (except for the invisible deck, derp). It is easy enough to get a b*tt*m p**k, and there are all kinds of p**ks that naturally occur with cuts and flourishes. I reverse the jokers before I break in the deck so they create flawless br**th**s when I do need something to keep my place, but I nearly never use them.
brandontoh
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of brandontoh
Yeah, I just use p**ks as well for my stack. Too lazy to modify them, tbh.
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
I create a breather crimp on Four of Clubs (top card) and reverse breather crimp on the Nine of Diamonds (bottom card), even when performing the Charlier Cut, the deck effortlessly ends up in correct stack order Smile
I prefer crimps to corner shorting and scalloping the cards because if spotted it could always be explained away as wear and tear of cards Smile I am sure all of you who use scallops and shorts know how to conceal them properly during your routines but it is just that I am not used to it. I will probably consider using them in the future though because crimps can be tricky sometimes while corner shorts and scallops are 100% permanent. Thank you for all your tips!
I Love You God Smile
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Breather on the bottom card, and on the 26th.
Mr_Grue
View Profile
New user
London, UK
74 Posts

Profile of Mr_Grue
On my Bike's I'll often put some work in for my set-up for Shufton's X-Ray. Have toyed with pin pricking specific cards, but never really got far with it. Most of my memdeck stuff I use NOCs, and even a breather crimp can look a little obvious with them.
"Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve.
But I am the opposite of a stage magician.
He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth.
I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion."

Tennessee Williams

http://tiny.cc/Grue
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Since this stack work is not in Asi Wind's Chapter One, I wonder if other members of the Café perform Asi's ACAAN using short cards the way I do. I use a mnemonica/Tamariz stack and I short the 8 of Hearts, 2 of Clubs, and 4 of Spades (14th, 27th, and 40th card respectively). These three short cards separate the stack into 4 equal portions. The shorts allow me to thumb count to the card much faster and without making any peeks at all. It completely transforms the playing field as before I had to do a peek and adjust, but now the peek is unnecessary because the shorts allow my thumb to serve as my eyes. My shorts are also effectively invisible to laymen so when I give them the cards to count, not one of them ever notice it. Since this effect depends on a stack and can not be shuffled, I have to do a deck switch anyway so this marked deck is not used in other effects and therefore lessen the likelihood of ever being detected. With these three short cards, I could now perform a no-peek AACAAN Smile
I Love You God Smile
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
No work. After a while I find I can cut to "position 1" after any random cut just by feel anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What work (if any) do you put in your stack? (27 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL