The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Punx - "magical Tales.../Once Upon.. - Content help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AndrewG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
101 Posts

Profile of AndrewG
Hello,

I've heard a lot of interesting but rather vague info about the book. I know Punx used the story-telling style and obviously his themes are magic and fantasy. Exactly the themes and style I like.

Can anyone help me with one or two more specific examples of the 17 or so routines in his book. What props does he use? What technical level is required?

Any advice and information would help me decide whether to buy the book or not.

Thank you Smile
Andrew
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
If you want to know some examples, contact Bill Palmer (he is a member here!)

Bill is the official translator of Punx (and others) book and I'm sure he will give you the info you need
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
50 Posts

Profile of themaestro
If you like stories of fantasy and magic, then I think you will really like this book.

The techincal skill level is not too high. He uses a wide variety of props: there are several with regular cards, one with jumbo cards, but also paddles, chinese compass, self-turning key, monkey bar(acrobatic silks), torn and restored newspaper, etc.

There's a very nice six-card-repeat type effect told about a nightmare, with a very nice climax (which most six-card-repeat effects do not have) coinciding with waking up from the dream to the alarm clock. But my two favorites are: "The Color-Blind Policeman," where you use the mokey bar(Acrobatic silks) to convince a policeman who is going to give you a ticket for running a red light that he can't tell one color from another. And "The duel with the psychiatrist" where you tear up and ultimiately restore a newspaper to torment the psychiatrist.

Unfortunately these brief descriptions do not come close to doing justice to Punx's stories/presentations but maybe will give you some feel for them.

Nowlin
http://secretartofmagic.com
Nowlin Craver
ralphdean
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Ca
300 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
I enjoyed the book very much. I like story magic much better than "pick a card, any card" or "isn't my empty box cool, look, there is a girl in it."

Take the same trick and wrap a story around it and it is great!
AndrewG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
101 Posts

Profile of AndrewG
Thanks Nowlin for the helpful info.

I hope the small number of responses indicates that the book is not very widely known about.

All the better for those who do know!

Best Smile
Andrew
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Punx - "magical Tales.../Once Upon.. - Content help (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL