The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Surya's Device by Sorcery Manufacturing thread... (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Have to agree with James here, as it is not the battery that means anything to me, but quality of build. If Surya's Device is well-built and brings new things to the table - as advertised - it will be a welcome addition, but not due to the battery issue, imo.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Ordered mine last night.Will soon see.
Todd
PaulBanda
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of PaulBanda
I have not seen the spider pen pro, I was commenting on my experience with the tarantula and the regular spider pen, both use a small battery that in my experience tended to drain pretty fast. This tool has advantages all of it's own in terms of not having to deal with any external anchor points, does the spider pen pro require external anchor points?
kevishu
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kevishu
I received this a few days ago. While I haven't had time to actually play around with it much, I can certainly comment on my initial impressions.

Packaging:
----------
This comes nicely packaged in a black velvety cushion-top box with magnetic lid. I always feel that when a product is well packaged, it's indicative of the level of pride that the designer/producer has for their creation.

First Impressions:
------------------
Overall, it seems very well designed and constructed. Easy to disassemble and put back together. However, some people may be disappointed by the entire gimmick overall. In my opinion, it's definitely not a "new technology" in reels, but rather it uses existing technologies to accomplish an already existing concept of on-the-body hookups (no external anchor points).

Clothing Requirements:
----------------------
To perform this you'll need to be dressed in a black tuxedo with coat tails. Well, I'm kidding. But I was a little let down by the fact that there will be a similar clothing requirement to other reels. If you're a casual performer who likes to perform in t-shirts or pull-over shirts, this isn't for you. You really do need a button shirt to set this up. I can't say I'm surprised by that, though, considering most reels work best that way.

Operation:
----------
Operation is very smooth and seems to do the job very well. I can't imagine this not working for anybody who uses it. But then again, like any other Sorcery reel, I'm not surprised. Like other non-battery reels, tension increases as thread is dispensed. I always prefer Spider Pen Pro for this reason.

Repair:
-------
So for those who hate fixing a snapped thread on traditional reels, you're gonna hate fixing this one even more. There's simply no ifs, ands, or buts about it. It DOES require more time to fix than a traditional reel. However, the good thing is that due to the nature of the gimmick, snapped threads shouldn't occur as much, assuming you're experienced with thread work.

Compared to Other Reels:
------------------------
This is one-of-a-kind in terms of what it does. Like I mentioned earlier, it's not NEW technology, but rather an extension of existing technology that makes this unique. To be honest, however, I can't help but question whether this device is really needed. I almost feel the same exact thing could be accomplished with existing devices. I'm purposely keeping this vague as to not expose the method. I feel some may people may have already tried playing with this concept, but due to the tedious nature of it, may not have followed through. On the other hand, this device puts it all in one little package and the careful design of it does make it easier to work with. Besides, the DVD has some really nice ideas by Surya using this type of hookup. And some existing thread tricks will be made easier (less risky for thread breakage), I believe, by using this device. Overall, some people may really love this new device, but others may not be the least bit impressed.

Compared to Spider Pen Pro:
---------------------------
I LOVE the operation of SPP. The constant, light, tension that it provides is superb! But since the Spider Pen Pro is designed to have one external anchor point, a real comparison can't be made. However, I'd like to think that we'll eventually see a battery operated constant-tension version of Surya's device in the future. Although, with this type of hookup, I don't think constant tension is a big deal since you're never really dispensing a lot of thread anyway, and therefore a constant tension battery version would be too expensive to justify its existence.

Overall, I like Surya's device. It's definitely as well made as you could ever need for what it is. The design is superb and well thought out. Unfortunately, I may not use it much since it really does require button shirts to be hooked up. But like I said, some with love it and some will not. I guess I was hoping for something a little more compact and versatile in terms of clothing requirements.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Kevishu, thanks for the review! Very interesting reading.

Love the SPP, but as Kevishu said, they're designed for different functions.

Oddly enough, will all the issues re: The Tarantula mentioned, I gambled and bought one from Penguin a couple of months ago, and I really like it. I don't use it often at all - maybe a couple of times per week of very light use, but I'm still on the first battery. Maybe newer issues of the device have corrected the battery problem?

I once bought an original Spider Pen, 2nd-hand, but it could barely lift a dollar bill. And by barely, I mean not enough to do anything with it. But, it was 2nd-hand.

My speculation re: Surya's Device is that it acts as its own anchor point, and that that thread is dispensed and retracted from each end of the device. One of my problems with 'certain' types of hookups (that I believe Surya's Device specializes in) is uneven tension - one portion of the thread bearing much more stress than another section. If I'm right about Surya's device, this would diffuse the problem, making breakage less frequent. It could also make the process of re-tooling from a break a bigger problem Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Kevishu,
Nice review, thank you. I use the SPP connected to my body all the time. I do Invisible with my SPP. I clip the SPP to my collar, then attach the thread to my button on my pants. The constant tension of the SPP makes it very forgiving for pulling out the loop. The spider thread is a lot finer than kevlar and less shiny.
For me, at this point in time, SPP is the best device for thread work.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
PaulBanda
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of PaulBanda
For all the routines with Surya's only 2 - 3' maximum is required per reel meaning the tension is not an issue at all of this, but actually becomes and advantage for routines like the card rise where additional tension is required.

What I truly love about the design is that no moves are required during the routine to activate anything, push a button to make it work. no suspicious moves are required. It truly is the simplest solution to the problem. Is this the case with the Spider Pen Pro?

I talked with James and they do have plans to release a version of Surya's Device built into a watch in the future. But this won't be for several years as the expense for doing this is very high, a rather large run is required. The success with Surya's device will determine whether that is something they pursue or not in the future, but I can't help but think a no battery solution is better, I personally would not want to get comfortable with a battery type system and then perform on stage and have to endure the embarrassment of losing my magic powers in front of the audience.

This solutions is proving to work very well for the working pro, many of the guys here in India are having great success with it.

The Spider Pen pro can't be compared with Surya's device, apples and oranges, and considering it is nearly a third of the price with no battery expenses, I am sure a lot of individuals will prefer these advantages.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Paul, I'll respond to your query and points re: the SPP. I'll make some counterpoints, but this is in no way a "A is better than B" thing Smile which doesn't really apply, as you said. This topic is about Surya's Device, but I feel comparing and contrasting devices is ok if it helps others.

The SPP is automatic in its 'on/off' workings. There is no button - I believe that you pushed a button on the *original* Spider Pen, but even then you could turn it on with no guile at any time.

Battery life on the SPP is truly excellent. 1 battery can last months, and are standard (not watch) inexpensive batteries. Of course, we all have different preferences, no problem there. Similarly, I would not see the difficulty in recovering from a thread break with Surya's Device (mentioned as particularly difficult in the earlier review on this topic) as a deciding factor against it, since breakage risk is said to be greatly reduced due to the nature of the device.

Regarding price, I don't believe that the SPP was ever 3x as expensive as Surya's Device. I believe SPP's original list was $149. It is now listed at Penguin at $75.

But again, all this is really just informational - might help someone actually get both devices - because as you say, one is an apple and the other an orange. I am considering it, myself.

I look forward to hearing more about it.

Now, back to Surya's Device.
PaulBanda
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of PaulBanda
Thank you for taking the time to address those points, I had a conversation with James and Surya yesterday, they are telling me that the customers are really liking the concept.

Here is a recent quote from one of the buyers...

"Surya's Device is very innovative. Already tried the Floating Ring and will be using that one forever. Love it!"

-Andre H.

Lot's of comments from very happy customers, he says he has not had any disappointed customers and offers a risk free satisfaction
guarantee on the unit. As well as a lifetime warranty on any parts or broken parts, only the thread itself is not covered under this.

Just like the ITR the word of mouth is going to get out as to how practical this unit is, I can't help but think it will out
sell the ITR in the long run. The fact that it consists of two reels, makes it very forgiving on both ends of the thread, unlike a standard ITR or any reel with a fixed single anchor. Add in Vectra and you have a truly reliable unit that, recommended for the beginner
with IT.

James has also stated they have a refill set with fine woolly nylon available if one should desire that more invisible thread for the Unit, it comes with rubber bands appropriate for that thread thickness. They also have the spectra thread available for this as well, this is half the diameter of standard woolly nylon and is the most invisible thread that James has been able to locate, it is dyed a flat black. The same thread used and recommended by Bruno Copin.

James also made the comment that Kevlar Thread is still extraordinarily invisible under fluorescent lighting specifically, compared
to many other available threads that tend to literally glow under fluorescent light sources even if they are not shiny, so keep this in mind in regards to this specific advantage with Kevlar. If you are wearing a busy darker patterned shirt and be aware of any bright open light coming from behind you that can bounce off the thread and into the spectator's eyes. These rules pretty much apply to all thread devices.
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
More opinions on this please? Smile
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
I just received the reel few days ago, watched the VDO and play around for a while. So I would like to add a brief review for those who is interested.

First of all, the reel is hardly anything 'revolutionary' - this world is being used too general now. In fact, I have making similar unit, with gimmicks on hand for my own use, long time ago. And I am pretty sure I am not alone.

The magic being demo are nothing new. If you are an IT junkie like me, you properly know how to perform them all already.

That say, I believed that the unit does provide the functions as the adv suggested. And a proper made device is always better than those we hand made for a quick usages.

However, after considered all the good and bad discussed above, I believed that the device is certainly overpriced.

Hopes this review is helpful for you fellow.
Genie Gene
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Genie Gene
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2014, wise owl wrote:
I just received the reel few days ago, watched the VDO and play around for a while. So I would like to add a brief review for those who is interested.

First of all, the reel is hardly anything 'revolutionary' - this world is being used too general now. In fact, I have making similar unit, with gimmicks on hand for my own use, long time ago. And I am pretty sure I am not alone.

The magic being demo are nothing new. If you are an IT junkie like me, you properly know how to perform them all already.

That say, I believed that the unit does provide the functions as the adv suggested. And a proper made device is always better than those we hand made for a quick usages.

However, after considered all the good and bad discussed above, I believed that the device is certainly overpriced.

Hopes this review is helpful for you fellow.

Thanks for that review, it is very helpful. If you would be so kind as to answer 2 quick questions about Surya's device:

1) Do they offer any new options for impromptu hookups? For instance, can I attach to a borrowed drinking straw or ecigarette?

2) How much does a Vectra refill cost?

Thank you in advance Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2014, Genie Gene wrote:

I think you'll have to check with the manufacturer or/and the sites selling the device. Currently, Penguin only mentions that it is coming soon.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2014, Genie Gene wrote:

I think only Sorcery is selling it now - $39.97. It is to be thought of as a refill, apparently, rather than getting the device only with Vectra. Currently, Penguin only mentions that it is coming soon. Might be less when it arrives at Penguin, might not.

http://itrmagictricks.com/p21585/Vectra_......nfo.html
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
Imprompt hook up? what do you mean? Surya's device is a gimmick by itself and it do not need another outside anchor pt to hook up at all. If you want to float a cig or straw, there is no problem at all and you do not need any preparation or setup; provided that you already have the device under your clothes.

Hopes this help
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Seems great
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Mine has been on order now
for two weeks from Sorcery magic
hasn't got here yet.
Todd
Dr Art
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Art
Genie Gene,

I do not own the device so I can't say for sure if it can float a cigarette or straw. But I did ask that question myself and the creator wrote back and said the device is able to perform l**p type effects only. If you can float a cigarette in the manner you are thinking, using a l**p, then you are good to go. If you are not, then I suggest you look into this further.
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
I see what you mean. Yes you are quite right.

If you want move the cig up and dwn and into your mouth, I don't think the device can do that. The device can only form a small loop which can only maintain (hover) a cig in mid air.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I had a show today and missed the mail lady.
It had to be signed for evidently so I will
have to wait till Monday.What a bummer..
Todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Surya's Device by Sorcery Manufacturing thread... (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL