The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hook Coins. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I recently aquired a Johnson Hook Coin. I love the coin and am glad I have it within my collection.

The problem I seem to be having is finding research/routines/performances/etc...involving this classic gaff.

I don't mind creating my own routines...but I am curious as to what other people have come up with.

I know Bobo mentions it...but do you know of anyone else or what you use personally with this coin? Any help is appreciated.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I have one too. I only use it for a complete coin vanish though. I usually do a retention pass. You can show both hands afterward empty.
With a little misdirection, I will load the coin back into the hand showing its reappearance. Smile
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Before the magic shop closed here, the owner use to do a pass from his right to left hand, and in the act of moving a spactator closer to have a look would hook the coin on their shoulder, later with an empty hand reproduce it from beihind their ear.

I also think Joe Rindfleisch had a routine in the trapdoor for the H. coin.

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
On the Knockout Coin Magic DVD's, there is a great routien that uses the hook. It is a great spellbound where two half dollars turn into a dollar... quietly. Very cool. Very.
-Casey
CardiniMan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
169 Posts

Profile of CardiniMan
Lynetta Welch at FabricManipulation.com makes a great gimmick for turning any coin into a hoo coin. I use it all the time and highly recommend it. The link is

http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/Mercha......y_Code=C
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I have been using a great routine by putting the hook on the spectator themselves and it has been great. Thanks for all your imput.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The hoo coin has a nice book associated with it by Bill Spooner. The thing itself is just a way to put a coin out of sight where you don't have a pocket. Much easier to think about using the thing to manage traffic. The particulars of its use tend to be closely associated with the body language and habits of the performer. Again easier to do your own work after understanding what Bill Spooner and the gang in Bobo's had to share.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Bobo only mentions this effect briefly, so I’ll write it out more fully.

The coin is in the right hand, vanish it (I like the Tunnel Vanish, for this effect) into left hand, left hand comes up, right hand drops and hooks the coin onto trouser leg, right hand comes part way up again and is still partially closed.

The coin is shown to have vanished. “Of course, it’s in this hand…” and show that the right hand’s empty too.

Relax back. Right hand drops to retrieve coin. Simultaneously, “There it is, on your jacket!”, left hand grabs “the coin” from their lapel.

Snap left fingers towards right hand, show the coin, et voila.

My apologies if I'm telling you what you already know.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
magicbear
View Profile
New user
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
70 Posts

Profile of magicbear
David Neighbors has a multiple miser miracle routine where three coins are produced at a time, penetrate into your pocket and then six coins vanish. You need a rattle gimmick as well as a hc with two coins glued to it. Joe Givan has written this up in a booklet titled U.R.G.E..
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Astinus,

Here's an idea you might like. Consider the now-common practice of wearing coins as jewelry. This was a little more prevalent in the past, but certainly not out-of-character for a magician.

So, you have a half dollar (preferably a nice one) pinned to your lapel. You remove it, showing a safety pin soldered onto the back, or a tie tack arrangement, or a name tag magnet (hmmm, the name tag mag approach may obviate the hoo altogether...)

You are now empowered to perform a flurry, and when the hoo is revealed sticking to your lapel, or the spectator's lapel, or wherever, the effect is that it's PINNED there, just like it was at the beginning.

You can now openly ditch the coin on the spectator's chest. The audience will think you pinned it on the spectator.

Funny combinatiions are possible with the coin finally ending up on your forehead, and then the ususal "nailed coin" gag.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
K_B_G
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of K_B_G
Is it possibele to make the hook coin? I was thinking of getting a small drill bit and making a little hole halfway into the coin then taking a pin and bending it and glueing it there with super glue? Any better ideas on how to make one.

Thanks

Kyle
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Kyle,

I've done this and have gotten good results. You'll need a drill bit about the diameter of a straight pin. (a little smaller is better) Start at the milled edge of the coin and drill towards the face (of the coin, not your face) at a 45 degree angle. Once the hole is complete, drop a drop of superglue into the hole, and jam the pin through. Once the glue is dry, you should be able to snap off the extra pin and file down anything sticking out of the edge.

I used to do this because the hook coins from the manufacturers used to resemble fishing lures. They seem to have eased off on the size of the hook these days, but it's not a hard thing to do, if you're at all handy.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-01-22 04:14, K_B_G wrote:
Is it possibele to make the hook coin? I was thinking of getting a small drill bit and making a little hole halfway into the coin then taking a pin and bending it and glueing it there with super glue? Any better ideas on how to make one.

Thanks

Kyle

Saudering the coin is possibility. A small nail into the edge works as well...but it is very difficult to do. I just ended up buying a Johnson one do to my lack of metal/wood working skills.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Someone found some WONDERFUL clear stick on hook things.

They posted the link somewhere around the café.

Here you go:

http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/Mercha......y_Code=C
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2004-01-22 13:48, Curtis Kam wrote:
You'll need a drill bit about the diameter of a straight pin. (a little smaller is better) Start at the milled edge of the coin and drill towards the face (of the coin, not your face) at a 45 degree angle. Once the hole is complete, drop a drop of superglue into the hole, and jam the pin through. Once the glue is dry, you should be able to snap off the extra pin and file down anything sticking out of the edge.

I simply drilled straight through, then bent the pin point afterwards. And I used no glue, the pin wedged in rock solid.

I've made quite a few Hook Coins that way.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
charles schneider
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of charles schneider
Steve Dusheck discusses a "Hookless Hook coin" in the book, "Dusheck's Coin Magic." He mentions it in a routine called DOUBLE KNIT COIN. An interesting idea that can be fairly easily made. Drop me a PM for details if you do not have the book and wish to know more.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I published a coins thru table using a hoo coin, to hang on leg to get one ahead. Think about it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
joef90
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of joef90
Another alternative to using a pin to make a hoo coin is a small fishing hook-they come in a range of sizes, some being tiny.Stick in your hole with some metal epoxy and you have a cion that will hook to anything soft.The thick skin on the back of your hand or knuckle is a good place(if you have a fine hook you cant even feel it)
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Bill Spooner of Raleigh, NC is one of the great experts with the hoo coin, and has a book out on it. "The Hoo Coin" is the name of it, if I remember correctly. It is filled with need handlings and routines.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-08-10 21:12, Pete Biro wrote:
I published a coins thru table using a hoo coin, to hang on leg to get one ahead. Think about it.
Pete, it is good..I've read it many years back..can't recall where, but somehow I recall the last volume (7) of Tarbel, but I haven't had a look to confirm where it is...(the only other source I would guess is *Pabular* or the *Magic Magazin*, but I still think it was in Tarbel!)

Anyway, I do a VERY unorthodox version -standing up- using NO gimmicked coins, normally it is aimed purely at layment, but the second phase of it is pure magic, even fellow magicians love it..

As a kicker, finish, I, -of course- use Mike Gallos version, where the 3 coins underneath go right up.

The best finish for any CTTT one can ever use! I salute you Mike Gallo! Smile

I've seen a lot of versions..
Pat Page, being the great performer and entertainer he is, does it very well and gets away with it (he can get away with anything!), but he does repeat the Han Ping Chien 3 times, IIRC..

I only use it once..for the 3d coin..the rest is pure magic..

I'm not as good an entertainer and experienced performer as Pat Page, but who is....so I have to play it safe...for me.. Smile

If/whenever you are near my place (Copenhagen) don't hesitate to give me a call, eg. visit me...alone that routine is worth to se..
I'm doing at in any situation, as long as a table is available, sitting on a couch on a low level table -as often used for coffe here in Scandinavia after dinner- a normal table standing up/sitting down..as long as there is a table, I do it..

Always prepared...the coins are jingling in my trousers pocket.. Smile
The CTTT, apart from the Hindu-thread and the Benson Bowl and a spongeball routine/Goshman type, are my favourite *routines*..
I only do a very few...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hook Coins. (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL