The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Professional magic in transition (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CrazyRocket
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of CrazyRocket
Hey there,

I'm not really new to the magic Café, but this is my first post and I felt I had to come over this section to talk a bit about my situation.

I've been doing magic for the last 15 years, and professionnaly performing close-up magic about once/twice a month for the last year. My interest in public performing grew up at a steady rate and it is something that I really do enjoy now. I'm having more and more professionnal contacts and I feel like I'm ready to take that activity to the next level.

But.

Of course, at this point you might be wondering what is so extraordinary about it. A magician going from amateur to professionnal is quite common indeed on these forums.
The thing is, I'm in the middle of changing my gender. I've been on hormone therapy for about 7 months I'm about to release the breaks to live full-time as female. Although I am not afraid of social consequences, I don't really know how to address these magic-related issues :

- 7 months of hormone therapy changed my appearance quite a lot, and I'm now in a middle-ground "androgynous" appearance. I can still present as male, but it feels weird as I have to wear larger clothes to hide my body development. Not to mention it is counter-productive in a gender change.

- Voice. My voice can be female, as long as I don't speak too loud. The thing is, close-up magic is usually quite noisy and speaking louder makes my voice deeper.

- Professionnalism. How do I tell some of my clients that booked me that I will be performing as female, and that my name has changed without losing too much gigs ?

- Pocket management. I know how to prep a male suit for close-up, but female outfits seems much less practical. I thought of using a purse, but I feel it can be impractical.

- Presentation. I don't know if tricks can be labeled as masculine or feminine, but I was wondering if I had to change some presentation about my sets. Can I still present a "human blockhead" on stage, for example ?

Well, I think that's it for now, but these are important questions that I need to address quite quickly Smile

PS : Being french, my english's not perfect, so don't blame me for it please !
AaronSterling
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
I'm not sure there are any easy answers to your questions. It might take you some time to find your new voice, both theatrically and literally.

One question I can answer is about human blockhead. Blockhead and other sideshow stunts are often *stronger* when done by women. See, for example, http://www.sideshowdarling.com/

Best of luck.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
2565 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I am not a fan of Human Blockhead at all but I guess a woman cloud do it as well as a Man (but hopefully not for Kids).

I do have a small purse and it works well.

Women have fewer clothing constraints than men in dress situations. You have more options but you'll have to make strategic choices (and add pockets).

Women can wear a suit type coat or have a wearable side purse.

http://www.luckymag.com/accessories/2014......tem14_15

I mostly wear a highly pocketed vest.

Welcome to the Sisterhood. Best of luck in your transition.

There are not many here who can help you with the crux of your problem, we simply don't have the experience.

-Mary Mowder
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Lothar
There is a great transgender magician in England named "Fay Presto". She is famous in the UK. There is even a BBC documentary about her. I have that on my Youtube channel ("pumbaaj") . She is a great rolemodel, if you're looking for advice on the possibilities available for transgendered magicians.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
4337 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Fay Presto has broken this ground before you, as has been pointed out. I have met her a few times and she seems to be a very friendly, helpful sort. Google her and get in touch I would say.

As for your specific questions. Blockhead will improve with your new gender. In crowded situations drop your voice below the background noise rather than try to rise above it. It will work every bit as well, and will not deepen your voice.

Finally, as for bookings, I doubt any booker will care. They booked you, and they are getting you. I will give you an example. I was booked to do close-up at a dinner dance. I din'd not feel like pulling on the suit and doing boring card tricks. So I dressed as a clown and hit the tables in a completely different way, with different material than usual. Do you think the booker cared? She booked me for two more on the strength of it. If you can entertain it is you, not the costume, the balls or the boobs. You. And that will not change.

Best of luck with the transition.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1554 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi and Welcome to the Café!

I read your question a few days ago but wanted to think about your questions before responding as I had to think about it for a day or two. You've built up clientele and a reputation for 15 years and that takes a while to get established. I always believe honesty is the best policy and while you (hopefully not)may find some clients may be uncomfortable I pray you don't loose any business as a result. Pffff who'd want them anyhow? I'm hoping that your clients will stay loyal and true to you. I'm also thinking that perhaps many more doors will open for you as a result of performing as a female magician.

Females in magic are still considered a rarity so that's a good thing as you'll have a already established niche to pursue. Especially those performing closeup. The one thing that is of consideration is the name change as most of your past clients will automatically recognize your name so perhaps you inform them or do it in a big way via announcement in a paper perhaps? You may also want to use a combo of the two names and then drop your former name over time. Or do you simply drop the male name when you've transitioned? I'm not really sure what is the best route truthfully and I can understand your reason for your questions. As I've said I had to think about it for some time and am also not sure what to advise. I think it comes down to whatever you choose is the best for you.

Your persona will eventually change over time as will your costumes and should you decide to perform in suit or dress it probably will depend on your persona. Dresses especially can be fitted with lots of secret pockets or folds should you find a good designer who is specialized in working with female magicians. Purses to can hold a lot of items as can hair accessories, ear rings and other adornments that women like to wear. Wigs too can hide a number of items. You may find lots of ideas on the net.

As for your voice you may want to try using a cordless mic but that would depend on where you are performing. My performances are mostly stage and walk a round so while I don't always use a mic I find in situations I have to speak loud. On the other hand, Tony made a good point as often people tend to speak louder to make themselves heard but if you speak quieter often the crowd may quiet down too in order to listen. (An old teachers trick in classrooms). Then again if you're in a crowded bar and people are drinking it's a bit different. I think you will find your own comfort level as time goes on.

I too wish you the best with your transition and like Mary stated, Welcome to the sisterhood!
Cheers!
saysold1
View Profile
Inner circle
Recovering Cafe addict with only
7169 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Also consider getting in touch with Cashetta as she might have some superb advice - http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......ser=2129

Good luck with your transition and much success.
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
114 Posts

Profile of Edith
Hi,

I understand your worries but don't worry. You really don't need to worry about anything. There are lots of male performers where you are not sure if they are indeed male. Just from their looks and attire. So if anyone insists on you performing as male, so be it. If someone would walk up on me and told me they'd rather have me perform as a male, I probably told them it is not possible. The worst might be that SOME (only some) people decide oh that's not what I have signed up for... oh well. But that won't be many, anyways. Then just don't perform but be sure to collect the money. ;-)

I'd change the pictures and pronouns on my website and the give the people who have hired you a subtle heads up maybe 1-2h before your arrival. Maybe along the lines: "Hi, I am on my way now. I just wanted to check up with you if everythings alright... Will there be a changing room available or do I need to use the lady's room? // When I arrive who will show me the way to the changing room? ... I am so glad you provide one. You wouldn't believe.. at one gig I had to set up in the lady's room...Usually I prefer to put on my make-up in private."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Professional magic in transition (1 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.136907 seconds, requiring 30 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [9] [7] [6] [5] [4] [4] [7]