The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What's in YOUR pockets? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Impressive_Alexander
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Impressive_Alexander
I beg for forgiveness in advance if this is already posted somewhere. I am not new to magic but after a few years on hiatus I'm looking to get back into gear and my goal is to get into the restaurant scene as soon as possible. Just bought the Approach by Jamie Grant, from all the rave reviews you guys wrote on here. It'll be here Monday : ) So my question is geared towards the working pros. So what effects do you do? How many sets? How many tricks per set? What effects flow well? etc.
Thanks very much everyone.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Hi Alexander
I see this is your first post, Welcome!
You said that you are not new to magic but what does that mean? Do you just like magic, have you performed before?
What is your experience level? Have you worked restaurants before as a magical entertainer?

I often post to those who would like to get into performing in restaurants that there is sooooo much more than the effects, and how many effects per set and their flow etc. etc. I won't get into that here. Would like to know a little more about you and your background/experience.

The effects I choose to perform have evolved to my personality after years of performing as well as to the personalities of the people I perform for. It's all about the spectator/patron/customer. Involve them...let them make the magic happen, perform effects that mean something to THEM...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41 some basic rules of magic to start your journey.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Kind of a tough answer. I mean everyone kind of works out there own things. I do mostly cards and I know many people who work with almost 0 cards in their sets.

I will say this, if you are looking for a resource to answer ALL of those questions (and future ones)... Pick up a copy of Jamie D Grant's book "The Approach" which is a massive collection of amazing advice. It's a reference book of awesome Smile.

He had a link to this post in a different thread on here but instead of searching like crazy to find it I think no one will mind if I repost it:

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.ph......from-JDG

Enjoy Smile
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
TysonUnruh
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of TysonUnruh
Card tricks always get good reactions, but sometimes can go wrong. People like money changes a lot also. If you can't perform very well then just mix in some jokes and comedy... usually goes over quite well.
Impressive_Alexander
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

[quote]On Jul 11, 2014, davidpaul$ wrote:
Hi Alexander
I see this is your first post, Welcome!
You said that you are not new to magic but what does that mean? Do you just like magic, have you performed before?
What is your experience level? Have you worked restaurants before as a magical entertainer? [quote]

Hi, after lurking off/on for a few years, I decided to make a profile. : )
I've been into magic since I was 4 or 5, like most of us. I preformed, worked in magic shops, bought tons of stuff, etc before I was in highschool. I have about a dozen bday parties under my belt, no restaurants. I quit doing magic when I was about 15 right after I got into Highschool, I more or less traded it for girls and partying (nicest way to say that : P) I've never stopped being a fan, keeping an eye on new products or dvds and occasional showing a card trick here or there or at parties. I am a magic enthusiast who wants to become a professional, in a nut shell.

As far as my skill level, I think my misdirection and crowd control are very good. My card skills are not, in a sense. Currently trying to perfect my pass and just got down Vernon's push over DL, which is a thing of beauty IMO. I plan on working thru the Card College Books as well as Bobos, RRTCM, Expert at the card table, etc Just to get a nice solid foundation. But I personally don't believe I need to have read these to land a restaurant gig. So I plan on going both routes simultaneously. Which, brings me to my post..

I wanted to check out what everyone was currently using in their shows. Not to copy but to get an idea. Even though I am not where I want to be sleight of hand wise, I do think I have the basics down enough, as well as the right mind set and personality to hold my own and keep a gig. Provided I had a very solid trick list.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions to give you better insight about myself. Thanks for much.
Adam Joseph
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Adam Joseph
Watch some of the performances in the restaurants:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kammagic/videos?view=0

Also, I don't think you really need to learn every move in Card College, Bobo's etc. to be a successful magician.

If you can do an Ambitious Card Routine and a Chop Cup routine, you'll be well on your way. If you look at Kamm's youtube channel, you'll see that he can do a lot of tricks and can do a lot of card sleights... but for most tables, he'll do his 1 cup routine and a card trick (normally an Ambtious Card)... and that's about it.
Adam Joseph
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Adam Joseph
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, Impressive_Alexander wrote:
I beg for forgiveness in advance if this is already posted somewhere. I am not new to magic but after a few years on hiatus I'm looking to get back into gear and my goal is to get into the restaurant scene as soon as possible. Just bought the Approach by Jamie Grant, from all the rave reviews you guys wrote on here. It'll be here Monday : ) So my question is geared towards the working pros. So what effects do you do? How many sets? How many tricks per set? What effects flow well? etc.
Thanks very much everyone.

I guess a lot of people think the best thing is to have 3 sets of 3 tricks (and then maybe some backups).

Here are what I think are some good ones:

chop cup
ambitious card routine
stand up monte
industrial revelation
card to pocket (+ wallet + impossible location)
extreme burn / bill change
flash (color changing flash drives) or color chaning knives
invisisble deck/brainwave deck
color changing deck
triumph
inferno
rubber band stuff
rope stuff
ring and string
coin stuff (coins across, 3 fly, etc.)
fork bending
sponge balls/rabbits
packet tricks (NFW/DoubleBack/ACE)
mini linking rings
invisible thread stuff
torn and restored card

also... if you're going to do card and coin work... a TKO 2.0 might be a good investment. There's a ton of great ideas on that DVD alone.

anyways, that's the stuff I think that most magicians do these days at restaurants or strolling settings. But there are so many tricks and effects out these days that you've got a lot of different options.

but I can do a lot now with just a deck of cards and a sharpie.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Matt Schulien said to do great card magic all you needed as o do was a force and a steal. Not good card magic but great card magic. By steal he meant the ability to get a card to the top and take it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Impressive_Alexander
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Thank you very much Adam Joseph. what you listed was pretty much what I was thinking. Just fast, easy visually appealing stuff. What surprised me was you mentioning Kamm does a ACR and a chop cup.. "and that's about it" This makes me feel a lot better and to not over think it. Thanks a bunch man, and when I iron out my sets I'll post em to get your guys feedback
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Hello Alexander
My name is Joshua I am not a pro but I do work gigs and shows so I will answer your question from my level!
I carry only a couple tricks when strolling 6-11 tricks should do the job! I carry my invisible deck and almost always open with it then go on to a more in depth trick and then end with something flashy. really you just have to experiment what effects go with your personality the best and which ones get the best reaction!
Hope this helped
Good luck!!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2014, TysonUnruh wrote:
Card tricks always get good reactions, but sometimes can go wrong. People like money changes a lot also. If you can't perform very well then just mix in some jokes and comedy... usually goes over quite well.

I'd like to know what you mean by they can go wrong. If a trick goes wrong, you haven't practiced it enough. I do a LOT of card work in my real world restaurant and bar sets. So many magicians say you should never open with a card trick, don't do too many card tricks, etc.....I'd love to know what material THEY are doing. I'm certainly no expert technician, but with just a regular ungimmicked deck, I can entertain for hours.

Now, on the original question...
I currently work 1 restaurant and 1 martini bar every week. On my person, any given night, I carry....
Regular deck, I have about 30 working pieces that can be done FASDIU.
Dean's Coin Set, coins through table and coins across.
Mesika Wallet
Chinese coins for Charming Chinese Challenge
Destination Box
Nest of Wallets
Prism Deck

In my case under the bar, I keep sponge balls, chop cup and loads, wand, Unfhuffled and extra decks. From these props, I pick and choose about 3-4 routines per group. I change my set for every group based on if they are repeat customers, there is a birthday/anniversary, or the conversation leads in a certain direction. I feel that the most important tool in the repertoire of a professional strolling magician is the ability to think on your feet and improvise, without looking like it. Example....if someone asks if you can cheat in Vegas, you should be able to do a trick that ties in to that. I'm not talking about a full 20 minute 7 phase false dealing demo, maybe a packet trick with a gambling theme.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
Hi Alexander! Welcome!!! Lots of good advice on this post already. And if you use the search engine or just scroll back through the pages, you'll find all kinds of good stuff.

To some extent, just SOME extent, the answer to this question depends upon the type of restaurant. I do 3 "family restaurants," so my table hopping is all about attention getting and high impact routines. 2 of the 3 restaurants turn the tables over pretty fast, so I like to do 2 or 3 quick routines that really pack a punch. For me, that's chop cup, quick ACR (you're right; Vernon's lift is THE SMOOTHEST) and sponge balls. Leaves the table gasping for breath Smile

For all the repeats, there's Extreme Burn, Mismade Bill, Color changing Knives, Danny Orleans Magic Alchemy, and Dishonest Abe! And, of course, MANY other card routines.

You'll find your own favorites. Guaranteed.
Impressive_Alexander
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Thank you very much guys. that's what I was looking for, just a list of effects that work for you. I was hoping this would become a place where someone posts:
I use the 3 x 3 method.

Set 1:
Coins across (Liberty Dollars)
ACR
Card to Wallet (U.C.C.U)

Set 2:
Cardtoon
Omni Deck
Chop cup

Set 3:
Turbo Stick into Sponge balls (Ahem... ladybugs* )
Ignite
Chop cup

Extras: UFO card, D lites, VAPR, etc For people waiting on their table, outside..

That way, everyone puts up their 2 cents and we can compare and see what tricks others flow into next.
There's tons of tricks on the market and most have rave reviews, so seeing what Pros use in their daily gigs will give some insight into what we're using in our working repertoires. So.. What's in YOUR pocekts?? ; )
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I got a high caliber holster and carry the following: in a flash, wireframe, deck of cards, uncanny, spongeballs, thumb tip with silks and bill change, business cards, sharpie (remarkable), color Monty, branded, powerball 60, and the grail deck.

Patrick
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Welcome Alexander!

I do a one cup routine, an ACR to wallet and sponge balls.

If I have more time at the table I also carry Color Monte with a joker, an ace and the kicker card and C/S/B. These two effects flow together into a little routine I do about money and my ability to lose it/not keep track of it.

I have an ID in my back pocket for an out and sometimes I do the routine as well.

I have a table hopper mat from Pattrick's Mats, a sharpie and a flaming business card wallet as well as keeping business cards in my card to wallet.

I like to use blank face cards for my ACR as it extends the life of my decks.

That's it for now. With a regular deck I can do a lot too.

I keep my case in a little closet behind the bar in case I need something extra. Like Anniversary Waltz for someone's special evening together or some silks and a TT for a table with more children.

Have fun and let us know when you head out to your restaurant!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2014, Theodore Lawton

Do you use a totally blank deck or a single blank card that you have them sign?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2014, Montana76 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2014, Theodore Lawton

Do you use a totally blank deck or a single blank card that you have them sign?

I also do this. I have a packet trick wallet full of blank face cards in my pocket. This holds about 25 cards.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
So you force a blank card? And the rest are normal cards?
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
That's a cool idea, pepka. Sort of a trick before the trick!

To those of you who perform a coins across, I'm curious--which routine/version do you use? Do most of you use a s_ _ ll?
Impressive_Alexander
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Gregory Wilson does a blank ACR in his DVD Pyrotechnic Pasteboards. IIRC he proforms at the magic castle in that DVD. Anyway, Its absolutely brilliant. The theme is that the blank cards are name badges and the ink just from card to card, comes to the top, etc. Great routine. (btw blank on both sides)
Also, theres many ungimmicked versions of Coins Across. A very easy impromptu one can be found on On The Spot by Gregory Wilson (lol) He uses quaters and viturally one sleight. Highly recommended.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What's in YOUR pockets? (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL