The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Good coin tricks? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jacob Sparks
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Jacob Sparks
I'm looking for a good gimmicked coin effect for a beginner in coin magic. I'm experienced with cards but not coins. I was thinking the bite coin or superman coin bend would be a good start.
Adam Joseph
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Adam Joseph
Get an expanded shell
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2014, Jacob Sparks wrote:
I'm looking for a good gimmicked coin effect for a beginner in coin magic. I'm experienced with cards but not coins. I was thinking the bite coin or superman coin bend would be a good start.

What coin sleights do you know? Your experience with cards should tell you that gimmicks alone aren't nearly as effective as the combination of sleights+gimmicks, and that some gimmicks are useless if you can't use sleights to mask their existence, or ring them in/out.
Coins are no different.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea These is So much Good stuff You can d with a shell! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Folding coin
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
If you want just one Coin Gimmick/Set to start out with,...Johnsons Hopping Half Set is a very good start.(you get a Shell,Expanded Shell and a Copper/Silver Coin all in one)Many Coin Routines use one or more of thease items.
Jacob Sparks
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Jacob Sparks
Is Superman 2.0 coin bend any good?
Jacob Sparks
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Jacob Sparks
I know the basic palms and a few vanishes and that is all.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
The gimmicked set I use regularly in my restaurant work that gets good reactions, leaves you clean, can be examined in the beginning and the end, and doesn't require a reset is C/S/B. Copper, Silver, Brass transposition. I have a Johnson set.

Scotch and Soda is a good trick, if you don't have to consider a reset. I've scared people with this trick. Ha!

Hopping Halves, as mentioned, is good too.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
I know the basic palms and a few vanishes and that is all.

That and a shell can do a lot.

As mentioned above, a Johnson hopping halves (HH) set gives great "bang for the buck".

A coin bend while strong, gives you only one effect. A shell or HH set opens the door to entire routines.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Get a shell. . .
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea And there is some good shell work in Bobo's! And I have a TON of it! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Welcome to the Magic Caf'e.

The Hopping Half is a great Suggestion & Scotch Soda.The Scotch & Soda you can do over 50 tricks with it.

How much do you want to spend?...There is Johnny Wongs Super Triple Coin & T.U.C Utimate Coin By Tango.Both of them you can do many tricks with.Like Matrix, Coin Across & 3 Fly.

You can watch all these tricks on YouTube.

Paul
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Hopping Half and Bobos would be my recommendation. As mentioned above HH gives you several gaffed coins and a great routine, while Bobos will offer so much material that you can do with the HH coins. Good luck and welcome to the Café!
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
HOPPING HALVES. Your choice should already be made.. Out of this you can do SO many great routines. You get a regular expanded shell for literally hundreds of coin routines, as well as one of my favorite; coins across. Then with the copper half, you get an expanded copper shell, and a sun and moon in the inner shell, technically. Theres SO many things you can do with the things from the hopping halve set, it's mind boggling. With just that set, you can go a whole life time practicing different POWERFUL, routines. However, I do advise AGAINST the Johnson set. It's alright.. But Johnson's expanding process is very poor, and they use an extremely new half dollar so it's not going to match the halves you get from the bank. If you really want to make an investment that'll give you a run for your money and last a life time if you take care of it.. Get one from one of the big coin makers. Budget is a big part in this one.. Johnson isn't bad, but I couldn't stand using it. The shell stands out like a sore thumb. Maybe I just got a bad set. Who knows.. But the shell was so bad in my opinion, I just gave it to another magician.
Mb2177
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Mb2177
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, afinemesh wrote:
Get a shell. . .

Yep, I agree!

Get an X-Sh*ll, learn Roth's "Sh*lled Coins Across" and you'll have all you need as to a truly wonderful gimmicked coin trick. Smile I'd say that it's like the coin equivalent to great gaffed packet card effects, like NFW or Double Back. Smile

-Mb
SupaHEEro
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of SupaHEEro
A"[" is an essential for coingaffs workers. Start with shell.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

And if you have Bobo's Some good Shell stuff in there! Look at the shot glass coins trou the table!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
The only coin work I find myself doing nowadays is Profile, by Garrett Thomas. It's all about showmanship. And it is very, very simple, mechanically speaking.
Weird is part of the job.
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:

Defiantly have to go with expanded shell of this one it's the bread and butter of so many coin routines and gives you ton of flexibility to create your own tricks and routines.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Good coin tricks? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL