The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Em Pocket Charger (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jimmy Lee
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
680 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Lee
Anyone has this? Care to review?

----------------
Mark Allen's EM Pocket Charger
Mark Allen’s EM Pocket Charger is the missing link. It’s the device that will make your Penomenon performances soar!
I’ve been performing Penomenon since it hit the magic scene, and the only problem I have with it (and it seems a lot of you are having too) is that sometimes the pen won’t move as much as you want it to. Sometimes, it won’t move at all. YOUR WORRIES ARE OVER!!!
The EM Pocket Charger’s revolutionary design does that special ‘something’ to the pen that allows you to move the pen as if it’s inhabited by spirits from another world!! I mean it’ll spin like a top!! Not only that, but you can move the pen with you hands much farther away!!
If you perform Penomenon, you have to get the EM Pocket Charger. If you’ve been holding back from doing Penomenon, now is the time to jump on it so you can start blowing away your audiences too!
(Please note that you must already own Penomenon in order to properly use the EM Pocket Charger. The instructions for the EM Pocket Charger do not include the method for Penomenon).
Magically Yours,

Jimmy...
a guy from a tropical island in South East Asia
..oops...where did he disappeared to????
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
281 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
I have Penomenon, and if this EM charger really lives up to its claims, I'd buy it in a minute. Anyone willing to buy and review it? I'd do it but I've already spent a bundle on "experimental" tricks lately (i.e., ones I wasn't too sure about).
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
5896 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
If you have Penomenon then you need the Charger. Works like a charm.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1069 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>Anyone willing to buy and review?

I have it and I still can't get the pen to work. I've put it away in disgust. I asked the company I bought the EM Charger from, "Is is (this)?" and they raved about it. I got it, opened it up, and saw it WAS only 'that'!

Well, saves me from having to go out and do it myself, I guess. I'm paying for some else's time to construct it.
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Mine did not work either. I sent it back to MagicSmiths. For what you get, it's way too expensive.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6574 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I bought it, and I can't get it to work, either. Penomenon works better for me using it as described in its instructions. I felt $25 was way too high for the EMPC, even if it did work better, which mine doesn't. Sorry.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
524 Posts

Profile of sludge
Mine, doesn't work as described.
It does however help make the Penomenon ordinary method easier and a little bit "stronger". Way over-priced. imho.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2115 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I have the charger and am currently using it in shows with the routine that comes with it. I do not do Penomenon. Be aware that plastic varies considerable in it's ability to react to the forces involved. Getting the right pen or the right soda straws is extremely important. I use a drinking straw from McDonalds Restaurants. The fairly large diameter ones that are basically white but have one yellow stripe and one red stripe. And, I "control" it with a Paper mate "Stick Pen" model 333-11. Here in California the pens can be found in Staples Stores and Office Depot stores in a box of 12 very inexpensively. Since I now have a routine which works every time and gets a good reaction from the audience, I feel that the 25 bucks was worth it. The way I'm using it, the straw is not charged but balanced on a fairly tall stack of coins with the thumb tack used to create a "frictionless" bearing. I keep the pen in the charger and pull it out quickly, and I can get the straw to swing around like crazy. For kids, I do a "Harry Potter" routine with a deck of Harry Potter playing cards. One is selected, returned, the deck shuffled, etc. I then break the deck into several piles. The kids and I all chant: Wingardium Leviosa and I use the pen to cause the straw to swing around and around. It comes to rest pointing at one pile and the others are eliminated. That pile is split into several smaller piles and we repeat that process until only one card remains. It is the selected Harry Potter Character.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1806 Posts

Profile of Platt
If you bought Penomenon, and bought EM Pocket Charger, you absolutely must buy the Platt EM Pocket Charger Extreme Holding Case. It's a convenient carrying case for your EM Pocket Charger and may give you even more pen moving power! Only $25.
I'll be selling it soon.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1069 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>If you bought Penomenon, and bought EM
>Pocket Charger, you absolutely must buy the
>Platt EM Pocket Charger Extreme Holding
>Case. It's a convenient carrying case for
>your EM Pocket Charger and may give you
>even more pen moving power! Only $25.
>I'll be selling it soon.

You're joking, right? Tell me you're only kidding.

PENomenon still doesn't work for me and a lot of other people to begin with. I've already bought the Pocket Charger, which doesn't seem to function as it says it should. Now I need something fancy to carry this whole package around in, that I can't even use?

How about an addition that makes the original effect work, like some kind of electronic static charger? If this pen isn't the best pen to do the effect with, why do they ship it off like that?

What surface is this effect best done on? Or is it better to, say for example, stick the straw in a tack and have it rotate? Or put the pen on a stack of coins?
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1806 Posts

Profile of Platt
Yes, of course I'm joking.

And when I first saw the ad for the EM Pocket Charger I thought they must be joking too.
Let's see, the "creator" of Penomenon charged $25 for a page out of Tarbell(I believe that was the source). Then someone comes along and charges an additional $25 to make it work better. Who am I not to release a "special" carrying case? A pen and a pair of jeans is all you need for this most average effect. A sheep might be good too.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
I'm pretty disgusted with the pocket charger. I paid way too much for something that doesn't even work. I have yet to be able to get the pen to move at all using the charger, unless I get mad and knock it across the room. Smile

Is there a secret for using this, or are some of them being sold, just defective?

Jerry
PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
I don't see how Penomenon can be so bad. I haven't bought one, but I saw the video in Magicsmith and it looks pretty cool. Also a bit pricy, but how come it looks like it works okay in Magicsmith's video demo?
Be Curious
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
The EM pocket charger works great for me, honestly all I can say is the distance increase is dramatic & with the method I am using even less resistance is involved so I the effect is increased, humidity even with the charger will have a drastic effect on performance so I guess iot for some it may be ahit or miss effect.
benrl
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of benrl
The instructions for Penonenon are incomplete (and in my case improperly printed.) In as much as that is what you're spending $25 for, it's a disgrace.

What the instrucions don't identify is what end of the pen must hang over the edge. My pen didn't move when I had the wrong end, with or without the charger. Now everything works beautifully and the charger makes the effect much easier to get into.
mysterium
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
100 Posts

Profile of mysterium
I bought the EMPC after reading raves about it here in the Cafe. I have yet to get it to work.

Also, when I emailed the seller, I was asked "Do you have Penomenon?" I don't. And I wasn't told that the EMPC had anything to do with Penomenon before buying it.

The instructions that come with the EMPC are atrocious -- I encourage anyone to try to decipher exactly what it's supposed to do from the "instructions."

And my EMPC isn't very well-made -- it "rips" every time I use it... or, I should say, when I try to get it to work.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
The products are made & distributed by two seperate individuals with no connection between the two, the creator of the EMPC just found a way to increase the effectiveness of the effect. Every ad or thread that I saw concerning the EMPC made referance somewhere that you must have penomenon or knowledge of the principal. I have no connection with either individual, paid full price for my EMPC(do not have penomenon,but was familiar with the principal), in fact the shipping took 3 weeks for me to get mine but I carry it with me & use it with success all the time.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1069 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>Every ad or thread that I saw concerning
>the EMPC made referance somewhere that you
>must have penomenon or knowledge of the
>principal.

Here is an excerpt from the ad from the place where I bought the EMPC from:

"EM Pocket Charger by Mark Allen
This dynamic and discreet accessory is the perfect companion for the PENomemon.
Simple to use -- simply "charge" a wide variety of objects including PENomenon!"

Based on that sales pitch, if I were to call the makers of the EMPC and ask about its effectiveness, and the first thing they asked me was if I bought Penonmenon, I'd be a little ***** off.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
com·pan·ion :a thing that goes with another to form a pair: a companion volume (book) -adj.

Bekralik the add says "perfect companion" simply stated it is not stand alone
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6574 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Not sure I agree with that, tb. A Fantasio Appearing Cane could be said to be the "perfect companion" to a silk act. However, I could do a silk act without it, and I could do the Appearing Cane without silks.

I think "Accessory" would be a better word.

And, IMO, Penomenon, at $25 (or even half that) is a total rippoff. It's pretty much taken straight out of Tarbell 7 and comes with an item that can be readily purchased at any neighborhood store for under a buck. And as Mike said, you're supposedly paying for the instructions and method. Well, the method wasn't his to sell, and the instructions truly do SUCK! All this for $25, more than Tarbell 7 itself!

Then the EMPC is another $25, with equally poor instructions (one printed page; no illustrations to speak of; unclear, vague, confusing and poorly written explanation) and an item that, at least in my experience (and that of many others, it would seem) simply doesn't work. So for $50 I get a bic pen, a piece of soft material wrapped around a piece of stiff material, two sets of crappy instructions and one effect that doesn't work!!! Oh, yeah, there's a trick, alright, and it's on me!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Em Pocket Charger (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL