The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Anyone else fall asleep to Magic Videos? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Its been years now that almost every night I watch a magic video and fall asleep to it. Here is a list of the top 5 that knock me out the quickest:

Larry Jennings
Jeff Sheridan
Alex Elmsley
Al Schneider (depressing)
Darwin Ortiz

And the ones that I don't fall asleep to that quick:

Bill Malone
Harry Lorayne
Tommy Wonder
Jim Swain
Dani DaOrtiz

The ones who put me to asleep fast are not because their magic isn't incredible, its simply their tone of voice etc. Larry Jennings DVD set "Thoughts on Cards" features this blonde spectator "Terri" that seriously is the driest must unenthusiastic spectator possible. The DVD set is such a powerful sleeping aid that I feel it should require a prescription and be covered by Insurance.

So whats your experience?
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
It's funny that you brought this up. I was just thinking about this week. Just about everything I've watched gets me drowsy. I'm sure a lot of that is due to my poor sleep habits, but magic DVDs are a great antidote to insomnia. It happens so often I couldn't even give specifics. I'll have to be on the lookout for the ones that don't get me dozing.

Certainly many world-class magicians don't come across well on the DVDs. Of course, the professional audiences and cold performing conditions don't help. I remember watching Al Schneider for the first time and I was already prepared for a low-key performance. It was, but not as bad as I expected...and the man is just amazingly smooth. Even knowing what was going on, I was just amazed at how well he could do some of the coin and card stuff. In my dreams (haha) I'll never be that good.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I just bought an Allen Ackerman video that I couldn't finish because he goes through the explanations so fast I couldn't follow along. Sure, I can rewind and watch it again, and I may do that some fine day. Didn't fall asleep, though. And like you said, the magic is incredible.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Yup. I fell asleep recently in front of "World's greatest magic by world's greatest magicians, the secrets of close up magic" on the classic force, and of Jay Sankey's "the real work on restaurant and bars".

P!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Most people buy my "Best Ever" 4-volume DVD set and use them in lieu of sleeping pills.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Most people buy my "Best Ever" 4-volume DVD set and use them in lieu of sleeping pills.

george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Marc Salem's Penguin lecture does the trick for me.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:

Lol
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2014, fonda57 wrote:
I just bought an Allen Ackerman video that I couldn't finish because he goes through the explanations so fast I couldn't follow along. Sure, I can rewind and watch it again, and I may do that some fine day. Didn't fall asleep, though. And like you said, the magic is incredible.

If you play DVDs on a computer you can use something like VLC media player to slow things down.
I usually have the opposite problem and speed up the playback.

That's not to say I've never dozed off during any of them -- usually because I'm watching late at night and already tired.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have fallen asleep watching videos since back in the VHS only days. I have always passed it off as something to do with the monotone nature of the audio. I used to also fall asleep during school and college lectures. I do agree that it has NOTHING to do with content. Most (not every one, but most) of the videos I have bought contained great magic with easy to follow explanations. I would think there is a scientific study somewhere about falling asleep watching TV, Movies, Instructional Videos...

So, all in all, it is not just you. (And, more importantly, not the fault of the wonderful magicians that crank out these DVDs for us)

Books - on the other hand, put me to sleep way faster (even though I enjoy them more these days) and I am pretty sure I have heard of studies on this. There is also a big difference between PDFs on an electronic devices screen and a physical book in different lighting. Eye health also comes into play (glasses / no glasses, glaucoma...)

Great subject though, haven't really seen it addressed before (but haven't looked for it either) and I have experienced it for 40 some years.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:

Actually Harry, Your DVD set is not near as bad as many as your tone changes a good bit throughout. Smile

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
There are definitely DVDs that are boring to watch or cause that sleepy effect. Sometime it's the performer, but more often it's the material, especially card magic. After 30 years of watching videos/DVDs, so much of the material coming out seems like something you've already seen a million times. Variations of variations of variations. I was watching a DVD a while back and when it was done I felt like I was watching the same trick over and over again. They were just too much alike. I find it had now a days to watch a DVD made up of just card magic. Most of them just aren't original and unique enough.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Great comments!

Sometimes the magician has a SOOTHING voice. Michael Ammar comes to mind.

On the other hand, Harry, when I watch you perform, I have to be sure I'm drinking decaf!

Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Can't understand if Poof-D's and Atom's are plusses or minuses. Wish people would say it "like it is." HL.

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
Can't understand if Poof-D's and Atom's are plusses or minuses. Wish people would say it "like it is." HL.

A plus Harry, It's the NY accent Smile

Smile Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Ah, okay. And I thought it was the magic.

Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Harry, You're the BEST. DEFINITELY a compliment. I appreciate your MAGIC, your TEACHING and your ENERGY.

BTW, I'm going through Quantum Leaps right now. This book is seldom mentioned, yet has many glorious effects and is easy to understand.

I performed Double Take for our Magic Club a few days ago and really got 'em. The expressions and gasps of "No way!" were priceless.

THANK YOU, Harry!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quantum Leaps is fantastic.
otreboR
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
398 Posts

Profile of otreboR
I recognize that. I could also never see Bob Ross finish his painting on tv. His voice made me go to sleep.
If you search "ASMR" (Autonomous sensory meridian response) on YouTube, you'll find lots of those kind of videos.
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
Never fallen asleep to Harry Lorayne; he's way to energetic for sleep. Several magic vids do put me to sleep. The reason is due to watching either very early or very late. Some people also have great relaxing voices. Kind of like Bob Ross the painter, I used to put him on when I needed a nap.
Philip Busk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Anyone else fall asleep to Magic Videos? (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL