The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » [ Expanded ] (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

avik_d
View Profile
Loyal user
Targetting a Zillion, till now just
288 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Till today I've heard nothing but good things about Roy Kueppers, and today I got the proof. I ordered an expanded [ from Roy last week, and it reached me today. The craftsmanship is of the highest standard, and the same goes for his customer service. I have been using an ordinary non-expanded shell for my coin routines till now, and I believe I will be able to perform those routines requiring an expanded one.

Roy's products are comparatively inexpensive than some other big names of coin gaffs like Lassen & Schoolcraft, but he maintains the standard of his products at the same time. He's the one to buy gaffed coins, at least for me.
Best,

-Avik
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
4551 Posts

Profile of bowers
I like his work also avik.
Todd
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Dentian
Yup, great coin stuff.
Zephury
View Profile
Regular user
Port Saint Lucie, FL
188 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Does anyone have a set from Kuepper's as well as Lassen's? I'd love to know what someone thinks of them in comparison.
avik_d
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2014, Zephury wrote:
Does anyone have a set from Kuepper's as well as Lassen's? I'd love to know what someone thinks of them in comparison.

Though I don't own any of Lassen's gaff coins, once I had a chance to handle and perform with a Kennedy 64 half dollar sh**l from Todd Lassen for a coin across routine (The sh**l belonged to a friend of mine). Now that I've bought Kueppers' half dollar sh**l for myself, I can vouch for Lassen's craftsmanship. The one I used was flawless, and was what you'd briefly call a perfect sh**l. If you spread three ordinary kennedy halves along with a Lassen sh**l, cascading on the mat, you'd find it hard to detect the sh**l with a first look. I would score them as Lassen = 99/100, and Kueppers = 98/100. I haven't seen Schoolcraft's or Johnson's stuff, so I won't be able to compare Lassen with them.

The only problem (if that's a problem after all) is the price of Lassen's stuff. Though I initially thought the price is more or less right for what you get from him, after I bought Kueppers', I guess Lassen's stuff might be marginally overpriced. Kueppers' stuff are much more affordable IMHO.

But, as I've said, the neither of them compromises with quality. Never.
Best,

-Avik
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3366 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Not overpriced.

You get what you pay for.

Delighted, however, to hear that RK has got his groove on for his customers. That's good news.

I am sure his stuff is great and am happy for the OP.
"Jazz is an accident waiting to have happened."

David St. Hubbins
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
254 Posts

Profile of Tree
Owning shells from both Todd and Roy plus several other makers; I can say that Roy's work is rife with sloppy tolerances,
whereas Lassen's work is tight, Todd's quality is 1st rate. Honestly you get what you pay for, and Todd's work
is not overpriced, his work is the finest at this present time.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3479 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've only seen 2 things that equalled Lassen.

- in my only experience with Roy, I sent him some Peace silver dollars and he made me an unexpanded shell set. It was perfection.

- a Morgan dollar flipper that I got from Joe Mogar (believe these are Japanese). As good as Lassen in everyway.

Overall, Lassen gets the nod from me, but others can touch him from time to time.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
aceofspades71
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of aceofspades71
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2014, Tree wrote:
Owning shells from both Todd and Roy plus several other makers; I can say that Roy's work is rife with sloppy tolerances,
whereas Lassen's work is tight, Todd's quality is 1st rate. Honestly you get what you pay for, and Todd's work

Same here ... Roy made 2 expanded shells for me 3 years ago. It was a custom order and I provided him with my coins. Ok shells but far from Lassen's quality gaffs I bought directly from him. My two cents.
avik_d
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Not overpriced.

You get what you pay for.

There can be absolutely no second opinion about Lassen's quality of work; it's near perfect. And if you go for a Lassen stuff, it's surely a good investment. But the fact that those are comparatively pricey is not only my opinion,but none other than David Roth himself expressed this very opinion about Lassen and Schoolcraft in his Penguinmagic Live Lecture.
Best,

-Avik
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3366 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Whereas I would defer to David Roth on many matters, what constitutes value for money is fairly personal. On this matter I am content to hold a different opinion to Mr Roth.

Personally, I have found dealing with Todd to be pleasant and he has never let me down. I know that he makes minor repairs gratis, although so far I haven't needed to call upon him for that.

We are all free to make our choice. If I thought he was overpriced, I would shop elsewhere. I'm sure we all agree that the main thing is to do good magic with these coins. Smile
"Jazz is an accident waiting to have happened."

David St. Hubbins
avik_d
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Whereas I would defer to David Roth on many matters, what constitutes value for money is fairly personal. On this matter I am content to hold a different opinion to Mr Roth.

Personally, I have found dealing with Todd to be pleasant and he has never let me down. I know that he makes minor repairs gratis, although so far I haven't needed to call upon him for that.

We are all free to make our choice. If I thought he was overpriced, I would shop elsewhere. I'm sure we all agree that the main thing is to do good magic with these coins. Smile

tomsk192,

I have to agree with you on that Smile. The amazement on the faces of the spectators on an effect being well-executed is the most valuable thing in the entire magic universe, more than any props in existence. To invest in any good prop is absolutely justified as long as we're determined to pursue the way to that ultimate goal. Smile
Best,

-Avik
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
825 Posts

Profile of boydy
I bought 2 c/s from him
Sold them right away
"There are no limitations except those we set up in our own minds" Napoleon Hill
Bendy
View Profile
Elite user
Winter Garden, Florida
465 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2014, Tree wrote:

I don't have any of Lassen's products, but have seen some that I'm both very impressed with and somewhat less impressed with; but the quality seems good and consistent. I own stuff from Swadling, Schoolcraft and Kueppers. I can say that the first unexpanded set I bought from Kueppers was great, (though service was a bit slow); but when I gave him return business, purchasing a second unexpanded set, (the first Morgans, the second Peace), he sent me a set that was awful and could not be used in any capacity, let alone a professional one. The shell literally had a notch cut out of it along the milled edge. Clearly a mistake had occurred during the creation of the shell and instead of taking responsibility for it and scrapping the thing, he had the nerve to send it to me. The accompanying coins had re-milled edges, but had minuscule burs on the coins coming off the edges. The result were coins that you couldn't slide across one another. They would get hung up on each other. The entire set literally could not be used. Not even for practice.
Getting the coins back to him and getting him to send me a working set that I paid for became weeks upon weeks of a nightmare of poor customer service, (blatant avoidance of me, actually), and on the rare occasion when I could get him on the phone, (he wasn't answering emails), him lying about another set being sent to me when that had not occurred. When I finally got the replacement set, it, too had it's flaws, but at least I could use it, (I actually never do). I cut my losses and was thankful the ordeal was over. But I won't ever buy another Roy Kueppers product, either directly or if he constructs something custom for someone else. I have since purchased other coin sets and gaffs from Schoolcraft and Swadling and have been happy with each one.

I will definitely have to try Lassen's products next.
But Tree is 100% correct by saying that Roy Kueppers' work is "rife with sloppy tolerances". Buyer beware. He makes the occasional good product, but the odds of you getting one of those "sloppy tolerances" is greater than you getting your money's worth. And it has been my personal experience and my understanding based on similar experiences others have had, that more often than not, it is a constant struggle - for weeks, morphing into months - to try to get him to fulfill his obligation to his customers once he has their money.
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of cperkins
I love working with a shell. In fact, I have one coming in the mail from Longmont, CO.

All I can say is, "Thank god for artists like Todd Lassen!" Simply the finest anywhere...PERIOD!

chuck
king_amongthepigs
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of king_amongthepigs
Avik_d, where did you have the coins shipped to? I heard the waiting time for Kueppers is really really bad. However it's just a week in your case.

I think I'm gonna order a lot of stuff from Roy Kueppers soon. I wish Todd Lassen still do his clad line. Those things were phenomenon!
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Dentian
It really depends on what you are ordering, if it isn't in stock (which I assume the shell Avik ordered was) then it may take a month like most gaffers. You have to wait at least a month for most custom coin gaffers if you wish to purchase items they don't have in stock. What are you planning to get?
king_amongthepigs
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

I'm thinking of a 4 coins nested set, a pro gravity flipper, an expanded [ set, 2 c/s coins and some more to start with. All of the coins are in Clad Kenedy Half Dollar, so nothing custom. I've heard cases where the gaffs have defects on them. I wonder if that happen often and what can I do if that happens?
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Dentian
Clad sets shouldnt take that long, it sounds like you are going for Roy's "Eric Jones Set" or something similar to that. What specific types of defects are you talking about? There may be small imprecisions in some gaffer's gaffs, but its nothing major.
king_amongthepigs
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

There is a number of post on the Café talking about small defects but Bendy's post sounds like a serve case. But I think it's not as common as everyone says it is
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » [ Expanded ] (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.175138 seconds, requiring 68 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [2] [0] [7] [6] [2] [9] [1]