The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Knot to release the ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoeyHart
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of JoeyHart
Hi guys!

I've recently been or king on a finger ring and shoe string routine for close up. I'm looking for a knot that when tied over the ring and pulled, the ring gets releases. I can't find it in any of my notes or Daryl DVDs but have seen it once.

Can anybody help or point me in the right direction?

Cheers!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
2471 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm not sure what you want but if you push a loop through a ring and make another loop and tie the two loops in an overhand knot the ring will appear to be tied in the string.
If you pull on the ends the ring will fall off.

I don't know how you could get into that position magically.

-Mary Mowder
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
improbable magic & extraordinary acts
5250 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is a method on Colombini's "Ring and Rope" DVD that would work though the final move will be bit more difficult, easily masked by handling the ends to a couple of spectators. Essentially it is the famous ShoeLace Knot effect done with a ring.

I believe it is "Escape" by Jim Laconte
"there is real merit in the magician who tries to be creative – from such endeavors magic sustains its life energy." Harold Rice

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at gusarimagic@comcast.net
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
2090 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
If I understand the OP, it appears to be the late Jim Ryan's use of the G.W. Hunter "Shoelace" Knot. Jim used a soft rope and a pencil. He got the ring off the rope and onto the pencil.

Joey...>>>>>PM me<<<<<
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
2471 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I did not read the thread but this thread deals with the effect Dick mentioned. Jim Ryan's Ring, Rope, & Rod.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=4

This may be video of the effect. I had a player problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1H8oEbGMjE

Good luck.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
2090 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, JoeyHart wrote:
Hi guys!

I've recently been or king on a finger ring and shoe string routine for close up. I'm looking for a knot that when tied over the ring and pulled, the ring gets releases. I can't find it in any of my notes or Daryl DVDs but have seen it once.

Can anybody help or point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

JOEY>>> I have the info, you are looking for. PM me
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
2090 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:
I did not read the thread but this thread deals with the effect Dick mentioned. Jim Ryan's Ring, Rope, & Rod.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=4

This may be video of the effect. I had a player problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1H8oEbGMjE

Good luck.

-Mary Mowder

Mary! The first link, of course, is a thread with many comments on Jim's routine. Nothing really technical is discussed.

The second link is Aldo, doing a variation on the old coin (in this case, ring)penetration thru a silk. I can't remember the "name" of the specific trick...I'll check Tarbell,and report back.

Once the ring is "outside", the stick is inserted "thru the ring", and the bundled silk is wrapped around the stick. When unwrapped, the silk falls, and the ring is on the stick.

I worked with Aldo about 15 or 20 years ago (Midwest Jubilee--St. Louis, I think). He was fun to work with.

I did a 'DIG' through my road file last night, and found the Ryan routine in the NEW PHOENIX, VOL I, #4 September 1950 -- the issue is also numbered #337. (The NEW PHOENIX, under the publishership and editorship of Jay Marshall, Esq.) If this is of interest to you, PM me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Knot to release the ring (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.073036 seconds, requiring 28 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [2] [7] [6] [6] [2] [5] [4] [3]