We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope ties - escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Conjurer213
View Profile
New user
Ashland, OR
16 Posts

Profile of Conjurer213
I have seen somewhere in the literature and can't find it now, a nice move for doing a quick escape

The two spectators tie an overhand knot on left wrist then you do a move with the rope as you cross your hands behind you and have them tie your other wrist behind your back. You can then easily slip your wrist out, do some comedy stuff, slip it back in and it appears to be tied tightly.

Can anyone point me to the literature on this, or refresh my memory on the move?

Much appreciated.
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Tony Clark has a great routine: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2271

sdmagic
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
2177 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm sure that your intentions are good, but your "detailed" description is a bit "close" to exposing the secret of the wrist tie, on this open forum. When you have fifty posts, you can be more explicit in the "SECRETS" forum.

What you describe,sounds like the "ancient" Harry KELLAR tie. Percy Abbott sold a method quite similar. I believe Abbott called his version. the SUPREME WRIST TIE. I used Percy's method for many years.

Harry Blackstone (pere) used the Kellar tie, and Harry Jr. also. The late Karland S. Frischkorn (died, 1954) developed a method of the Kellar tie which he could perform surrounded. I have "Doc" Frischkorn'a props.

The late Principe Notaes Majahara (Talbot Emanuel Seaton) featured a similar effect (with a different method) for years. Dick Stoner still featurs a similar effect.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
2177 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, Conjurer213 wrote:
I have seen somewhere in the literature and can't find it now, a nice move for doing a quick escape

The two spectators tie an overhand knot on left wrist then you do a move with the rope as you cross your hands behind you and have them tie your other wrist behind your back. You can then easily slip your wrist out, do some comedy stuff, slip it back in and it appears to be tied tightly.

Can anyone point me to the literature on this, or refresh my memory on the move?

Much appreciated.

PM me
Kabbalah
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

What you describe,sounds like the "ancient" Harry KELLAR tie. Percy Abbott sold a method quite similar. I believe Abbott called his version. the SUPREME WRIST TIE. I used Percy's method for many years.

First saw this at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City around 1967. Older man in his eighties was pitching it and it cost me the lofty sum of one dollar (including a length of rope).
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
2177 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
He was selling it CHEAP! I paid Abbott a buck for it in 1946, and got one sheet of printed (?) instructions! --(no rope!)

That dollar was a good investment!

Do you use it??? As old as it is, it gets reaction, and lots of laughs!

Conjuror 213 has not PM'd, It appears that he was not seriously interested.

I have the complete Blackstone routine that Harry sold thru Bert Wheeler.

I stood next to Mr. B. on the Davidson Theater stage about 65 years ago, for the "committee" routine. I learned a lot about stage cueing!!!
Kabbalah
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Mr. Oslund,

I used it for years and it never failed...but my interests turned mainly to bar magic and for whatever reason, I haven't done it for a long time. Maybe I should resurrect it!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
2177 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi! MR. OSLUND was my father!!! I'm Dick!

I used it often in High Schools, years ago, but I had to put it on the standby list due to "semi-surrounded" situations in many schools. The "sit down" method was often not practical, either. --Sight lines, when I was on floor level with an audience seated on chairs.

Karland Frischkorn (Ring 103 Norfolk, VA, had a short velvet cape that he threw over his shoulders to cover the "technique", but, that didn't fit my personality! (I always have a piece of rope in the prop case!)

Have you ever considered a pair of modern thumb cuffs? They can "fit" in close up and casual situations. The late Dennis Loomis did a fairly "standard" (thumb cuff) routine, and it played very well. I've been "playing with thumb cuffs, but, being retired, I don't get many opportunities to test it with an audience.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1951 Posts

Profile of John Long
I can think of 2 methods that could fit your description

1)The Kellar Tie is in Fulves self-working rope, Tarbell V^ p314, and one of Dary's Expert Rope Magic

2) The Gysel Spirit Tie in Fulves self-working rope, and in the Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope ties - escape (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.044537 seconds, requiring 26 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [2] [0] [5] [8] [4] [2] [7]