The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Thumbtack (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2014, lou serrano wrote:
I find this to be an interesting thread, since I've been using Thumbtack for two years now, and I've booked over 40 gigs through the service in those two years. These are 40 gigs that I wouldn't have known about if it weren't for Thumbtack. Most of those jobs paid below my standard rate, but some have paid my full rate, and I've booked some great gigs through them including one speaking engagement that paid extremely well. The highest priced gig I've booked through them is a $2500 job. Not bad for service where I paid less than $5.00 for the lead.

Does Thumbtack have its issues? Certainly it does. But so does every other online booking site. Gigmasters and Gigsalad have their issues. Yelp, which is a consumer review site has its issues as well, but I've used all those services to book gigs in the past, and I expect to continue to do so in the future.

I think the phrase, "Don't throw out the baby with bath water," may apply here.

Just offering a different perspective.

Lou Serrano

Totally and passionately disagree with your take Lou - but thrilled that you've had more success with it than most.

The service is positioned as a lower end option - nothing wrong with that btw.

We all have only so much time in a day to cultivate and pursue leads.

Money and time spent on the other competing services will bear far more fruit for most than on the clunky Thumbtack system.

Cheers.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, saysold1 wrote:

Money and time spent on the other competing services will bear far more fruit for most than on the clunky Thumbtack system.

Cheers.

Well said!
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2014, lou serrano wrote:
I find this to be an interesting thread, since I've been using Thumbtack for two years now, and I've booked over 40 gigs through the service in those two years. These are 40 gigs that I wouldn't have known about if it weren't for Thumbtack. Most of those jobs paid below my standard rate, but some have paid my full rate, and I've booked some great gigs through them including one speaking engagement that paid extremely well. The highest priced gig I've booked through them is a $2500 job. Not bad for service where I paid less than $5.00 for the lead.

Does Thumbtack have its issues? Certainly it does. But so does every other online booking site. Gigmasters and Gigsalad have their issues. Yelp, which is a consumer review site has its issues as well, but I've used all those services to book gigs in the past, and I expect to continue to do so in the future.

I think the phrase, "Don't throw out the baby with bath water," may apply here.

Just offering a different perspective.

Lou Serrano

Totally and passionately disagree with your take Lou - but thrilled that you've had more success with it than most.

The service is positioned as a lower end option - nothing wrong with that btw.

We all have only so much time in a day to cultivate and pursue leads.

Cheers.

saysold1,

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with me about. To date I've booked over 60 gigs with Thumbtack including two that paid $2500 each.

The key is learning how to use their system to your advantage. My procedure for using Thumbtack is so automated that I spend very little time pursuing leads on there. Most of my time is spent developing my business in other areas.

To each his own.

Lou Serrano
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Lou -

I am very thrilled that you have booked so much business - kudos!

My point is the thumbtack business model just plain sucks - it's like driving a 70's Pinto compared with the other services. Will it serve you from A to B? Sure. But as you've read here the majority heartily disagree with your point that thumbtack just needs to somehow be understood or better utilized. It sucks. The design sucks - the concept stinks - and for most including myself it was a time waster and Magnet for mostly lower end crap leads.

Sounds like you are just thrilled with thumbtack so by all means enjoy it. I used to own a Blackberry and loved it too until I got my iPhone. It made calls and had an awesome keyboard too. But it deserved to be pushed aside because it was an inferior product that didn't keep up.

You are obviously a successful and well known performer but as far as your advice on Thumbtack - I ain't buying thanks.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
I'm certainly not trying to sell anybody on Thumbtack. Whether or not anyone else uses it does not matter to me. I was just offering a different perspective.

The best gigs I get are a direct result of other marketing strategies. As for lead generation, organic SEO and Google Adwords give me a much bigger bang for my dollar over Thumbtack. And those are only three strategies I employ. There are other strategies that I use as well.

One idea I share with everyone I coach is that there is no ONE best way to get leads. What might work for me, may not work for you, and vice versa. Having many lead generation systems in place is what works best. When one system stops working (because of advancements in technology, changing economy, public perception, etc.) you'll still have other systems working for you. Relying on only one system is inviting disaster.

Wishing you all much success!

Lou Serrano
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
While I admit that I have never received a valuable lead from Thumbtack and pay no attention to it, if I were full time I would be paying close attention to what Lou and Brian Miller have shared here.
hypblake
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of hypblake
Being that Thumbtacks main business is not entertainment leads. What would you want it to look like? Keeping in mind they are not going to change their business model just for magicians.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
It's a crap model IMO for any business. - paying for leads sight unseen is a loser.

Lots of other ways to get leads without blindly throwing money at the wall and hoping it sticks.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I got 8 kids show offers yesterday. Not what I was hoping for.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
hypblake
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of hypblake
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
It's a crap model IMO for any business. - paying for leads sight unseen is a loser.

Lots of other ways to get leads without blindly throwing money at the wall and hoping it sticks.

Seems to be working rather well for them and a lot of other people. One person's crap is another persons gold mine I guess? Google ventures didn't think the model was crap. They raised 100 million at the end of 2014. Of course Google has no idea what they are doing and blindly lucked into a lot of money, so I guess we can't put a lot of stock in them.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Yes I had heard that. Time will tell.

Google has so much cash that I'm sure they spread their bets.

The concept of blindly paying for leads of unknown quality - won't be a red hot concept. Maybe I'm wrong - but I think I'm right. This business model has been tried for years in real estate and it was never well received.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Yes I had heard that. Time will tell.

Google has so much cash that I'm sure they spread their bets.

The concept of blindly paying for leads of unknown quality - won't be a red hot concept. Maybe I'm wrong - but I think I'm right. This business model has been tried for years in real estate and it was never well received.

Brett, perhaps the reason ThumbTack isn't working for you as well as Lou and Brian (who are both killing it I might add) is because when you respond to leads and send them to your website (assuming you do that) the lead sees paragraph after paragraph of copy all to end with a site that appears to not have been updated since 2013 according to your footer copyright.

Here's the thing that Lou, Brian, Danny and many others have figured out:

It's about the details.

Your website visitors are savvy and notice stuff like that. Instead of griping about low quality leads, why not buy Lou or Brian a virtual beer and pick their brain? Or don't use ThumbTack?

Josh London

PS. I know, I know too harsh.
Josh
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Jack -

Be as harsh as you want but you are way way way off lol. Are you trying to troll me lol?

I update the copy on my site in an ongoing way - that means constantly and all the time. A copyright at the bottom means nothing. I highly doubt that the majority of site visitors skip down to a website copyright to decide whether they want to stick around.

I'm not trying to be harsh Jack but it's pretty obvious that you know very little about sales or websites so I will take your advice with a massive grain of salt. I respond to leads using a telephone whenever possible and my personality - duh.

I'm "killing it" using other methods which for me are more effective. It's the thumbtack platform and model I take issue with.

Hey jack! Are you using thumbtack in your market with amazing success? I'm sitting here with my 2013 web site waiting for an answer 😀

I'm guessing not Jack. Sorry if I'm being a little harsh dude.

Thumbtack attracts low end leads. - I don't want low end leads - I don't use thumbtack anymore. If it works for others in other market areas - hurrah and I wish Lou and the rest well and deserved success. My own testing in paying blindly for leads of unknown quality proved that the issue was the thumbtack "grab bag" business model which was quite a loser compared with other sites.

Thank you for chiming in but you are wrong on so many counts that I will take a deep breath, smile and move along. Enjoy the day!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
On another note why do the kids magicians seem to be such know it alls when it comes to web sites and business?

I'm tired.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
On another note why do the kids magicians seem to be such know it alls when it comes to web sites and business?

I'm tired.

Welcome to Tricky Business!

For some reason that mentality has existed since the beginning of time.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Jack -

Be as harsh as you want but you are way way way off lol. Are you trying to troll me lol?

I'm not trying to be harsh Jack but it's pretty obvious that you know very little about sales or websites so I will take your advice with a massive grain of salt. I respond to leads using a telephone whenever possible and my personality - duh.

Thank you for chiming in but you are wrong on so many counts that I will take a deep breath, smile and move along. Enjoy the day!

As to your reference on kids magicians, they don't, they only think they do. They only need to know one thing or slightly more than the other kids magicians and they often believe they are an authority and that everything and everyone exists and operates the same in their same small pond.

They also have a hard time believing and accepting other business models and approaches. I've had to ove rthe years adapt my trainings and coaching to work with these definitely existing mentalities.

I have been trying for years, first only in my coaching and now even publicly, to try to advise these guys to stop thinking like kids magicians (which is extremely limiting in many different ways, in almost all ways), but rather think of themselves as entertainers. Master performing without the need for you tricks, sponge bunnies, or ropes. See what you have as a business not a kids performer.

Most don't get it and refrain back to the Kids forum where they feel their approach is more accepted and they don't have to hear this and they can boast their way into their own belief. Now there are others here over the years that see the light. The lightbulb goes off and they see the bigger picture. If often then becomes game changer. You can tell by their posts insights and contributions here who they are and I've always felt they gain the most from their participation being here. We are most proud to watch them progress in their journeys.

You are not alone in your thoughts and observations. And yes, it does seem that some only pop in to troll or offer such personal opinions.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
My name is Josh.

Details my friend.

Details matter.

Josh London

It's good to be back posting Smile

Lou, Brian - Beers? Haha
Josh
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Josh?!

But I like Jack better as it goes with "you don't know"

Back to our conversation. Who reads a copyright at the bottom of a site? Do you use thumbtack?

Yes it's delightful to have you back - can you try to add something to a thread with some actual meat on it?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Since the subject came up. I also look at copyright notices on websites to see if the content is current. I try to keep my own website copyright date current (I had to ask for help to change it at one time, so someone built a way for mine to change automatically -- no more thinking about it), because I think it is a subtle indication of professionalism (details count). But that's just my opinion.

I was just on a website the other day where someone was promoting a promotional product they created in 2013. It was supposed to have a line of 24 items for sale, but only the first 8 in the line were created in 2013. The person promised on the website that another 8 items would be released each quarter until all 24 items were available. (They also said the same thing in their lecture back in August 2013, when I saw them in person.) It's now 2 years later, and the website still says this. No update saying that they are now selling all 24 items, etc.

As to websites like thumbtack, gigsalad, and gigmasters, I'm sure there are some performers making them work for them. And there are some who run their businesses without using them.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Interesting, I have never even considered copyrighting my web site. At least its not dated.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Thumbtack (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL