The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » RA - Rostami ACAAN - NO Memory, Math or Sleights (80 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10..13..16..19..22..25~26~27 [Next]
haninaguib
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of haninaguib
Another difference as far as I can tell (have not seen MACAAN) is that the spectator can cut the pack.

By the way I am the developer of RA

One other option that Greg did not mention is that the website the spectator goes to does not have to be cardodds.net and does not have to look like it. You can embed the effect into your own website (obviously not an option for everyone, but as with telefoto I am sure one or two people will like that). I can imagine people creating a website that may not even have anything to do with odds...

There is also many little things in the app that are neat and make the magicians life easier. I'll write about some of these when I am not using a tablet Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, TuneHV wrote:
MACAAN can be used with one deck.

I have MACAAN and I am still unsure that there is a usable version requiring only one deck.

I purchased the iPad version of MACAAN for $60 and only then found out I needed to carry 4 decks. Therefore I have never used it. In my opinion it was a big mistake for me to bother with a magic effect that required a mobile device, let alone several pockets full of card decks! Crazy.

And yes, I did receive an email that said a new version (or something) was available that used only one or two decks, but to get it I had to purchase a DVD for $25 and it also said something about needing to have the MACAAN subscription (The email wasn’t too clear on that point). After spending $60 for an app I never used I certainly wasn’t going to put out another $25 minimum for an "enhanced" version.

Just thought I'd get that off my back after reading a couple posts about the "one-deck version of MACAAN".

Thank you.

Jim
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Absolutely Jim, that's the reason I never purchased MACAAN. Greg's version is perfect for my needs. A one off payment and very simplistic in its operation. Very much looking forward to the ios release.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi Blueroyalty,

Thank you for your interest in RA.
Yes, the introductory price of $24.99 is for indefinite use.

Hi TuneHV,
There are four differences in effect and method between MACAAN and RA:

1. The spectators don't say anything to the magician.
2. The spectator can cut the cards as often as they like prior to counting.
3. The magician does not have to decipher a secret code that's embedded in the stats sentence.
4. If the magician wants to have the card and number written down (without using a website), then an accomplice can use any mobile device to thump the card/number without any memorization or math.

In the performance of RA that you've seen in the video, my phone is in my breast pocket.
When the spectators are waiting for the results page, I simply look at the screen of my phone and see exactly what I have to do next (I did not use vibration, even though I could have) ... There are no codes for me to decipher.
In MACAAN there MUST be a code because the information that the spectator is reading to the magician must be covert. RA does not have that limitation because the information you need is simply displayed to you.

Like everything else that I make, RA is a tool.
What I mean by that is you can customize RA to do ANYTHING you want. If you wanted a certain card/number combo to play a song on your spectator's device, YOU CAN DO THAT!!

RA was designed to be a thumper to be used with an accomplice. That means if you wanted to do ACAAN where the spectator writes down the card and number, your accomplice would simply type that in to a website on any mobile device and you'd get the right info to manipulate the cards.

I hope this helps you better understand what Hani and I have created.

all the best,
G Ro
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
When will you release Ra so? I'll buy :3
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
I have MACAAN and I am still unsure that there is a usable version requiring only one deck...
Jim

Yes, Jim, there is, and I didn't need to buy the DVD to see and figure out it. I found with little thought also a direct method to use an ungimmicked deck. But I admit it is more a thing for MD workers. But same I would do with Greg's version as I feel it is a no go to look open through the cards even if you apparently do not know card and number. As MD workers do: (estimate), cut, glimpse and adjust if necessary (while toying with the cards). Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
The Android version of RA will be available in about two days.

The iOS version (which will run on all iOS devices) will be about two weeks (which is about how much time it takes to get Apple approval).

thank you for your interest,
Greg
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
So if I've followed this correctly, Greg's version has borrowed the "justification" of using card stats from MACAAN, not the methodology of using card stats? i.e.: Greg's effect would work without the stats, but he would have had to find another justification for using a smart phone to get the card and number?

If that is the case, I can see both sides. But still feel that ethically Max should be involved in some fashion. After all, The Beatles continue to pay a royalty to the composer of "In The Mood" every time "All You Need Is Love" is played on radio-even though they only used two bars of it at the end of the song.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, TuneHV wrote:
MACAAN can be used with one deck.

I have MACAAN and I am still unsure that there is a usable version requiring only one deck.

I purchased the iPad version of MACAAN for $60 and only then found out I needed to carry 4 decks. Therefore I have never used it. In my opinion it was a big mistake for me to bother with a magic effect that required a mobile device, let alone several pockets full of card decks! Crazy.

And yes, I did receive an email that said a new version (or something) was available that used only one or two decks, but to get it I had to purchase a DVD for $25 and it also said something about needing to have the MACAAN subscription (The email wasn’t too clear on that point). After spending $60 for an app I never used I certainly wasn’t going to put out another $25 minimum for an "enhanced" version.

Just thought I'd get that off my back after reading a couple posts about the "one-deck version of MACAAN".

Thank you.

Jim

I purchased MACAAN after seeing Max's Penguin lecture (where he explains how it's done with one deck), so I wasn't aware it wasn't always marketed that way
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Until now (to my knowledge) there is no App doing this calculation and showing this result: ("x" being the stack # of the chosen card, "n" being the chosen number and "y" being the stack # of the card which has to be on the bottom of the deck in order to provide the chosen card at the right position)
x - n = y

And in case y would be negative:

x - n = y + 52.

This is what a MD worker does in his head, besides knowing his stack. With an APP a none MD worker can still do it as long as he stacks the deck in the necessary and given order. Only difference in performance: The MD worker will do the necessary adjustment of the deck (which can be false shuffled and cut by spectators) covered, the none MD worker looks like Greg Smile. No big difference as card and number are still apparently unknown.

I have to admit that Greg's App seems to be a game changer on a technical and a systematical level. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
The moment when Greg looks through the cards is a weak spot in the routine but there are obviously much cleaner ways to do the necessary.

The most exciting idea for me is the delay the spectator experiences before the odds show up, which hopefully will give you time to do the dirty work. That could be a very powerful convincer!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
For a MD worker there is no bad moment or dirty work, it happens covered! So even the delay wouldn't be necessary. Plus apparently you do not know card or number. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
There's always dirty work unless you strike it very lucky!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Are you MD worker? Smile
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I use a me******d deck, yes. I think you may be misinterpreting what I mean by "dirty work".I'm referring to any handling of the cards whatsoever by the performer before the participant counts to his number. A completely pure ACAAN would have a cased deck on the table before the effect begins and the performer would not touch it from that point until the reveal -including taking the cards out. Anything other than that I consider "dirty work".
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You can actually go to cardodds.net and use the interface yourself and also see the delay. Simplicity in itself.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
I use a me******d deck, yes. I think you may be misinterpreting what I mean by "dirty work".I'm referring to any handling of the cards whatsoever by the performer before the participant counts to his number. A completely pure ACAAN would have a cased deck on the table before the effect begins and the performer would not touch it from that point until the reveal -including taking the cards out. Anything other than that I consider "dirty work".

Martin, I see - and understand you. We got different definitions Smile. I just (personal thing) define "toying" with a face down deck not as dirty work before apparently any card or number is known to you. Because there is no heat on it and you can do whatever you want. My opinion about outer reality and what people will recall after a good (but untrue) recap by the performer. Purists could combine such an App with John Born's handling e. g. (out of the box...) which would add another layer. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Will this have Pebble support?
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Would be great, but first for TeleFoto please... BTW, Greg told me just recently that it will happen very soon... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
If you can place the deck in front of the participant before the odds have even come onto their screen, that is very hard for them to reverse engineer, and would make this super clean! I don't think the delay is quite long enough as it stands though (on the version we can access atm.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » RA - Rostami ACAAN - NO Memory, Math or Sleights (80 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10..13..16..19..22..25~26~27 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL