The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Parlour Trick (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RudyC
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of RudyC
What parlour trick do you recommend that would play big (Under or around $80.00)? I look forward to your comments?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Why buy anything? There are books out with hundreds of good Parlour effects. "play big" is most often a matter of presentation rather than prop
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
AMEN Ken!!!

The PERFORMER, AND HIS PRESENTATION IS ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROP!!!

I'm inferring that RudyC thinks that he can BUY a trick (for $80. or less)

Rudy::: A trick only exists while it's being performed! You cannot buy THAT!!!

You CAN buy a PROP or a SECRET. Using the prop or secret, you can PERFORM a TRICK. --Or, you can buy a book full of SECRETS.

A man walked into Magic Inc.a few years back, and asked Jay Marshall, "What's new?" Jay showed him a card trick. The guy liked the trick. "How much?" he asked. Jay replied, "You already have it!" The man denied that he had it. Jay said, "It's in that book that you bought here last month!"
(ehd of "sermon".)

Your PRESENTATION, as you PERFORM the TRICK. will determine how "big" it plays.

I recommend that you spend your $80 on a set of TARBELLL. Learn how to make MAGIC happen in the mind(s) of your spectator(s) OTHERWISE, YOU ARE NOT A MAGICIAN! (YOU ARE JUST A TRICKSTER!!!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Excellent advice !!! It can't be said any better !!!

You can make a rope routine play as big as nearly any other routine; and, it packs small aswell. Everything lies in the art of presentation, the way to make a routine entertaining to the audience. This can't be learned by just bying another trick.

As told by Ken and Dick, go out and buy a good magic book or set of books, that not only teaches you just a trick, but explains aswell the how and why of presentation, getting a meaning in connection with audience... and so much more.

Even though our comments don't asnwer directly your quest for help, I hope you still take them into consideration and give it at least a try.

Good luck

Oliver.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Oliver~! Egad! I owe you a letter! I just checked my PM file and it's 8 months!!!

YES! Other than a deck of cards--and, I certainly am not a cardician!--I think that ROPE is one of the most versatile props in my prop case.

Effects: KNOTS...RESTORATION...TRANSFORMATION (stretching, change to silk, etc.) PRODUCTION...VANISH...TRANSPOSITION...PENETRATION (ring & rope, cords of Fantasia, etc.) ETC. ETC. ETC.!!! OH YES! JUGGLING, too. (fancy knot tying, "my" Norwegian YOYO)

Mostly angle proof...little or no set up...audience involvement...visual effects...visible prop...packs small and light...versatile...spot adaptable...recognizable prop...no table needed...spot adaptable...ETC. ETC. ETC. !!!

Many new books and dvds have "come out". One of the BEST BOOKS is Abbott's "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks".
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
To answer your question directly. Here are a couple of my favorites that in my opinion meet your requirements.
Six Card Repeat
Color Changing Scarf (silk)

My other passion, art. (Painting).
I wish to create a beautiful masterpiece... which brush shall I use?

Best of luck!
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Prof! Six Card Repeat (Tommy Tucker's idea--way back in the '40s --it may have been '30s!)

I first saw Harry Blackstone Senior perform it in November 1945! (Harry used the glide. I don't think the buckle was invented yet!!! I paid ONE DOLLAR for the gaffed set of cards + the secret, at the old MYSTERY MART in Milwaukee.

Colo;r Changing Scarf (silk) goes back "forever". I learned it from Senor MARDO in Bob Stull's shop in San Francisco in July 1947. I have worn out a "few" gimmicks,and more than a few silks, since! I paid Bob Stull SEVENTY FIVE CENTS for the gimmick. I already owned the two silks (value, about SEVEMTY-FIVE CENTS, EACH.)

BOTH are GOOD "tricks", that I have used since the '40s. (Here comes the BUT!!!!!>>> BUT, I have seen both, BUTCHERED, by "magicians" who had no concept of how to PRESENT them. It was very evident that they had read (apparently) the instructions, and DEMONSTRATED (not performed) them at their "next show". (The "show" that I saw!).

With all due respect, I submit that the OP asked a DIRECT QUESTION that really cannot be answered DIRECTLY, without a number of "qualifiers" or explanations. (See my first two posts above. --And, I just mentioned the basics.)

From the way he phrased his question It is apparent, to me at least, that the OP, hasn't the slightest idea of what PERFORMING or PRESENTATION, is. To suggest a specific "trick" is, IMO, not going to help him. He definitely needs help, but he needs help in learning how to present and perform. That's why I recommended Tarbell.

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded,devious,and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc

P.S. To create a masterpiece, requires more than the "right" brush. TALENT is also important!
RudyC
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of RudyC
I have been performing magic for some time now. Hearing the audience applaud and seeing the look of amazement in their facial expression is an indication that you are doing something right. Basically I just wanted to add something new to my show. I was hoping to
get some ideas from some working professionals.

professorwhut; Thank you so much for your input.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Have you ever been in a restaurant and every time you order something from the menu, the waiter comes back to tell you that they are out of it? A similar scenario could easily take place here. So, rather than asking everyone to take blind shots in the dark, why not start by listing what you already own and perform? Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, Rudy, "some time now" is a rather ambiguous term. I've been performing since 1945, FOR MONEY. I estimate that that's about 20,000 shows--for PAYING audiences. not for friends in my parlor. People in your parlor (who did't buy a ticket) will give you "looks of amazement" and applause, but do you make a living off it??? I made a living off it for most of my adult life. I was a part time professional for 20+ years.
Then I became a full time "on the road" professional. I'm now comfortably retired.

I GAVE you some D**N GOOD IDEAS. I explained to you the FACTS OF LIFE! I have charged budding professionals up to $500. for the advice that I GAVE YOU FREE! --AND, YOU DON'T HAVE THE COURTESY TO EVEN SAY: "THANK YOU".

I had planned to offer you one more piece of advice (FREE)but, it's now obvious to me that you probably wouldn't bother to read it, because, it's apparent that you think you already "know it all", since you get "looks of amazement" and applause from people in your parlor.

This may well be my last post, but that's OK. --i have plenty of old professionals with whom I can communicate.

P.S. professorwhut is a nice guy, but I don't believe he is a working professonal.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Well, I will say "Thank you!" I worked as a part time professional for about two years. Long story. I admire you for doing it for 20! And full-time? Incredible. Could never have done it...

Doug
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks Doug!

I did my "first" show at the Jr. High in my home town. (about 600 kids). Worked it on percentage with the school (50/50) After amusement tax, I took home $26.00. That would be about $275.00 in "today's money"! I was 13, going on 14! Grown men were making $30 dollars A WEEK. My buddies were boxing groceries for 50 cents an hour, and I was getting $10.=20. for doing a 30 minute show for various groups! Through four years of Navy (early '50a) I had an agent who booked me all over Norfolk for an average of $25. I had the whole act in a cigar box size shaving kit. I didn't cash a Navy paycheck for four years. I sent it home to the bank.

Went full time in the mid-60s, and never looked back! I wss never "at liberty"! I was usually booked two years ahead. I didn't get rich, but, I made a darn good living, enjoyed what I did, saw the "country", and retired. I never bought a car or RV on time in my life! I was and am, friends with many of the top pro's. of the last fifty years.

Karrell Fox's tombstone has his name, and three words: "IT WAS FUN!" I may be a copy cat and write that on mine.

Yr's, 'til the funnel is empty! (The late Harold Sterling did the comedy funnel bit, and would pick up the funnel, and say, "Now, the fun'll begin!")
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Love your stories Dick,keep 'em up!

The comedian Spike Milligan has a good engraving on his tombstone.
It say's 'Duirt me leat nach raibh me go maith' which is Irish for
'I told you that I wasn't well'
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
True, I am no working professional, and most likely will never be one. I tend to take LONG breaks in between performances.

I find myself now, much more focused on the presentation, entertainment value, nuances, etc... of magic rather than actual tricks or the latest and greatest.
Why did it take me 27 years to get to this point? I am, however, thankful that I have gotten to this stage. I find it all very exciting.

Dick Olsund, your input here on the Café for me has been truly invaluable. You came along at just the right time.
Thank you.

One more thing... I once met an guy who painted the most beautiful "Degas like" ballet scenes without the use of a brush at all.
Instead of a brush, he used the paint stirring stick that you get free with a gallon of paint! Talent.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
No parlor effect "plays big" in itself, you as a magician and entertainer make it play big. So basically take your pick and make a great routine with it. You can fail with a huge expensive prop or kill with a rope and scissors. But the trick is not going to do it by itself you have to do the work and make it a great effect and routine. I have done parlor ever since starting magic over 34 years ago and use all kinds of props of all sizes and skill levels. But I can bring any piece to life with my own presentation and showmanship. Assuming that it is at least a quality piece of apparatus and a decent effect as it is, and sometimes I can improve it as well. So really all you need to do is just find what works for you and your audience. I used to stage show with minimal apparatus as a kid and made my own until I could get enough saved to buy bigger stage props.

I love the classics and do them often as well. I have seen some do horrible performances with the square circle and some kill with it. I already knew that probably no one else here will give you the answer you are looking for, so I will. At least the "short-term" answer. I like to use comedy props like Run Rabbit Run, Hippity Hop Rabbits, Comedy Egg Can, Crystal Silk Cylinder, Crystal Tube, Zombie ball, Crystal Botania, Mismade Flag, Fraidy Cat Rabbit, Snowstorm, flower effects, candle effects, rope effects, jumbo cards, dancing cane and other cane effects, floating effects, comedy effects, manipulation, flash paper, sponge balls also work for parlor not just close-up, Multiplying Bottles, Silk-Cola, Silk To Egg, Square Circle, (with glass bottle or with plastic coke bottle with cap) Milk Pitcher, 20th Century Silks, Sucker Die Box, Magic Pizza Oven, Cups and Balls with appearing fruit and other loads, Silk In Balloon, TNR Newspaper, etc. I also use many of the same effects for kids and adults, and present them differently for adults. I also do mentalism on stage as well. L&L has a great 3 DVD set of stand-up magic. So take your pick and then start making your routine.

There is so much out there and I actually started from books and Tarbell, The Amateur Magician's Handbook, Mark Wilson's Complete Course, etc. I do my own material as well and stuff that I made many years ago and continue to make. Don't expect any effect to do the work for you though. YOU are the one who makes it play big.

I just find what I like and what what my audience will like and then make the routine entertaining which can be done MANY different ways. So there is no one right answer. As your skills and experienc progress you will find the right effects or they will find you. Probably a better question would have been, "What are some of your favorite over-the-counter parlor effects that you perform?" That coming from someone who has 34 years in magic and over 25 as a professional and still counting...I could list hundreds more but I think you get the point. I do a lot of parlor close-up, kids shows, birthday parties of all ages, corporate shows, restaurants, strolling etc.

So I like a lot of variety. But I love parlor as those mysterious, magical looking, gleaming "props" is what attracted me to magic in the first place, and I wanted to be that stage magician badly. So that is what I did, but I am also an avid sleight geek/move monkey who loves close-up magic, and a magic history buff and collector. So for me I can never get enough! But I especially love doing parlor and in its classic form.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Best place to look for something that will play big is to look at what you already have that you are probably not even using, something that caught your eye causing you to buy it. Get a book like "Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber (I just finished this book, its great) and be inspired to make a magic trick magical. I was inspired to revisit all of my routines, and have found myself making some nice creative improvements. Always lots to learn.

I am a part time professional, I do mostly kid shows and some family shows. I am performing more these days, mostly weekends. Biggest crowd I have performed for is about 200, but typically my audience is much smaller. I don't have nearly the experience or knowledge of many who post here, but certainly appreciate all they have to offer, and I learn a lot. The Weber book was recommended on this site, and it is the best magic purchase I have made for quite a while. I also try to offer what little I have learned in return, when possible.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

Karrell Fox's tombstone has his name, and three words: "IT WAS FUN!" I may be a copy cat and write that on mine.

Not looking forward to seeing it by any means, but I'd almost be disappointed if it didn't read K.I.S.M.I.F. ("Kept It Simple, Made It Fun")
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Brian Soto
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Brian Soto
To answer your question I would recommend Paul Romhany books really are very good, and you can buy several for that value of their ebook. This way you can have much more than a good parlor magic trick .
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Inviso
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
Have you ever been in a restaurant and every time you order something from the menu, the waiter comes back to tell you that they are out of it? A similar scenario could easily take place here. So, rather than asking everyone to take blind shots in the dark, why not start by listing what you already own and perform? Smile

Michael, that is probably great advice to anyone looking for suggestions as it may give an indication to ones performing style and props that will fit in well.

Dick, not everyone can cut through your harsh reality and see the value. If someone gets their back up at your reply they probably miss that pot of gold you place in front of them. I hope you don't stop giving advice because many of us appreciate it greatly.

RudyC, if you are still paying attention to this, Dick belongs to the "Teach a man to fish" rather than "Give a man a fish" school, err, even if it is a whole school of fish. He often comes off curt and harsh ( I think it's his over use of UPPERCASE) but the wisdom he imparts is more than worth the moment it takes to swallow ones ego and accept the gift.

Randy
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
There will come a day when legends like Harry Lorayne and Dick Olsund will be spoken of with reverence! I wonder if Dai Vernon or Blackstone would be respected here today, if they posted here. Remember who we have here, friends! We are VERY fortunate! Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Parlour Trick (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL