The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wham! Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Here is a nice classic:

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Memories... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I thought it was a great song. Maybe I should have posted video from one of those 80s macho hair bands and it would have gotten approval because, well, just because they are macho and that's what makes them cool, right? They even have a macho sound to their tune and songs. Or maybe a 70s song like "Sweet Home Alabama" and everybody would have been like "ohhhh yea, that song is cool and in, it's not old or not a song that goes down 'memory lane.'"

Well, anyway, I don't have the insecure jingoism of some people so, I am quite comfortable in enjoying a tune that kinda has a happy sound to it even though it's not quite as old or popular like a song "Sweet Home Alabama."
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
"Young Guns (Go for It)" is probably my favourite Wham! song.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
I thought it was a great song. Maybe I should have posted video from one of those 80s macho hair bands and it would have gotten approval because, well, just because they are macho and that's what makes them cool, right? They even have a macho sound to their tune and songs. Or maybe a 70s song like "Sweet Home Alabama" and everybody would have been like "ohhhh yea, that song is cool and in, it's not old or not a song that goes down 'memory lane.'"

Well, anyway, I don't have the insecure jingoism of some people so, I am quite comfortable in enjoying a tune that kinda has a happy sound to it even though it's not quite as old or popular like a song "Sweet Home Alabama."

Settle down, Beavis. It's just a difference of musical taste.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, General_Magician wrote:

I thought you were talking about the hair. Smile
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
You picked an annoying pop song that plagued my youth. Applause.

But on the plus side, George Michael likes to get stoned.

On the not-quite-sure-about side: he seems to like public conveniences. A lot.

Great choice.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Well here is another classic song:

Back then it was video killed the radio star. Today, it's the internet that killed the video star (we got things like YouTube now instead of MTV, though MTV is still around today, doesn't seem like it is near as strong as it used to be back in the day). GM sings "Internet killed the video star...internet killed the video star!" Amazing how things change. I remember when MTV was huge and everybody tuned in to MTV to watch the latest music videos. I remember watching Madonna's "Material Girl" video on MTV when it first came out:

I got a kick out of one of the lyrics of the song "Only boys that save their pennies make her rainy day." I thought that was pretty funny.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
General, to be honest, I'm not sure why you post video links at all in the way that you choose to post them. If we want to watch a music video, we can choose our own.

IF you want to use a video to make a point within a thread--say, if the thread is about playing poker, and you post a video of a song named, "All In"--well, that makes sense. If you want to post a video that reflects a mood--say, you're really feeling blue, and you post a video of a song called, "I'm Feeling Blue"--then, that too makes sense.

But to start a thread that says, "Hey, here's a song, dudes!", and posting "Wake Me Up"--that makes no sense to me at all. I really don't understand why you do it. I don't want to be so blunt as to ask, "who cares?", but in fact that is just what I feel. Who cares?

It just seems random to me. It's like started a thread that says, "here's what I ate this morning." Good for you. Why should anyone care what you ate this morning? Tell us WHY. Tell us HOW. Tell us When. Give us something interesting to respond to.

Your buddy Jeff.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I can see a couple of good reasons to post videos in the way that GM does. One would be if it's a new or relatively unknown song, so we're being exposed to so,etching we're not familiar with. Then you maybe get a response like, "Hey, cool band/song...thanks for turning me on to that!" The other would be if it's maybe a song we know, but perhaps a forgotten one - a lost classic, like, "remember this, from back in the day?" The. Maybe you get responses like, "Man, I haven't heard that/thought about that band in years!"

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:

But to start a thread that says, "Hey, here's a song, dudes!", and posting "Wake Me Up"--that makes no sense to me at all. I really don't understand why you do it. I don't want to be so blunt as to ask, "who cares?", but in fact that is just what I feel. Who cares?

"And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

Smile Smile Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Don't let my previous post mislead you, I am not really a big fan of Taylor's ...

Like the General, I like a lot of 70s / 80s brit music though.

Such as Squeeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bTWF7eirJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WngGeI9lnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pblSU5M1d1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQciegmLPAo

Do you like tham, GM?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Actually, they don't sound too bad balducci. Thanks for sharing! I never listened to them much before or really knew who they were until you pointed them out. Seriously. It seems like they have a few good songs. I don't like all the songs you posted from them but there is one or two out of the bunch you posted that were OK.

Edit: Actually, I have heard this band before, but couldn't remember or know the name of the band. This song is probably well known by Squeeze:

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
General, to be honest, I'm not sure why you post video links at all in the way that you choose to post them. If we want to watch a music video, we can choose our own.

IF you want to use a video to make a point within a thread--say, if the thread is about playing poker, and you post a video of a song named, "All In"--well, that makes sense. If you want to post a video that reflects a mood--say, you're really feeling blue, and you post a video of a song called, "I'm Feeling Blue"--then, that too makes sense.

It just seems random to me. It's like started a thread that says, "here's what I ate this morning." Good for you. Why should anyone care what you ate this morning? Tell us WHY. Tell us HOW. Tell us When. Give us something interesting to respond to.

Your buddy Jeff.

Don't you like to share some of your interests with your friends? It's not the same to post a music video for the purpose of sharing some of the interests you enjoy with your friends as opposed to "what you ate this morning?" You know, not everything has to have some kind of academic reason behind it. I'm not always trying to oppose or debate somebody or trying to make a point with somebody. Sometimes I just like to relax, have a good time and share some of my interests with my friends. Nothing wrong or out of the ordinary with that, well, unless your Jeff.

There is so much more to life than always trying to have some kind of logical reason behind everything. The best parts of life are spent just relaxing and sharing with friends like your music interests or the board games you enjoy playing and such. Friends, family and loyalty are some of the most important things that really matter in life. It's OK to just to have some fun and share with friends like what kind of music you enjoy. They can certainly make fun of your music tastes, but that's what friends do sometimes.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Right. OK. I'm down with all that.

If we're gonna share 80s stuff, then I'll share this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOtRZOlE0WM
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

You only live once stoneunhinged and you never know when you are going to go, so you don't want to take anything for granted. You want to appreciate the simple things that are sometimes taken for granted like a music video for example. You don't have to share 80s music with me. There are some non-80s music I really like too. Who knows, maybe you could broaden my horizons with something besides an 80s song. 80s music is what I grew up to when I was a kid. I had some happy memories from when I was a kid, so I am very fortunate to have a wonderful childhood.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Sorry that I didn't realize I wasn't appreciating the simple things in life. You're right. My apologies. I'll try to not take things for granted anymore.

But please watch the video I posted. I watched yours, so you should do me the honor of watching mine. I chose it for a reason.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

It's no big deal stone, I am listening to your video right now. It has a good tune so far. Just for me, I value people, friendship and loyalty. I wouldn't be much without friends. It's good to have friends. I don't take them for granted. I guess I am just a simple guy though not always. But I honestly take appreciation in things like art, people, friends and family and just small things.

Edit:

I liked your song. Thanks for sharing stone! I really did like it.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wham! Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL