The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..29..41..53..65..77..79~80~81 [Next]
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Marvel has nothing on DC.

Marvel superheroes are the Disney kind, if you like that kinda thing.

DC treats its audiences like adults.

I sort of feel the opposite- DC treats its audiences like edgy, gritty teens. Especially with their "Darker! No comedy!" stance, trying to emulate the success of Batman Begins. This gave us the darkest and most depressing Superman movie I've ever seen.

Marvel, meanwhile, knows its material is sometimes campy, and they're not afraid to poke fun at themselves- which movies desperately need to keep the dynamics going. The first Captain America movie was more hopeful than Man of Steel- and Superman is supposed to be about hope.

Who am I kidding, though? I'll probably end up watching most of them anyway, whether they're DC or Marvel. Except maybe "Fantastic Four: Muppet Babies". I don't mind changing casts, but do we really need to retell the origin story every single time? (So I'm glad the next Spiderman movie isn't bothering with that.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea DC has this idea that edgy and modern is the Breaking Dawn crowd. In the end they are superhero fantasy movies. Keep that in mind when you yern to be treated like an adult.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I enjoyed Ant-Man, and stayed to the very end of the credits for the bonus scenes (one part way through the credits, and one at the very end of the credits).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I was going to suggest that the sequel to Ant-Man should be Uncle-Man, but then I saw the movie is already coming out for The Man From Uncle.

(Yeah.... I went there.)
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Cliffg37 wrote:
I was going to suggest that the sequel to Ant-Man should be Uncle-Man, but then I saw the movie is already coming out for The Man From Uncle.

lol. Long time no see, Cliff. Remember, you were the very first one that replied to my thread those many months ago. Good to see you again.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Watched Ant Man and really enjoyed it. Not anywhere near as great as Guardians of the Galaxy was but enjoyable and better than I had been worried about. Doesn't look like it will be a blockbuster but should make money.

I really liked how they tied into the MCU with it and how they were able to make the idea of the 'Ant Man' seem plausible and worthy of super hero status.

Was amazed at how good a job they did of creating a 'young' Michael Douglas. Completely believable with no hint of CGI that I could see. (100 times better than the 'young' Jeff Bridges in TRON)
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I enjoyed Ant-Man, and stayed to the very end of the credits for the bonus scenes (one part way through the credits, and one at the very end of the credits).

- Donald

Besides the bonus-scene of the Wasp-costume, the 2nd bonus-scene with the Falcon telling Cap that they have somebody else they could use, apparently hints that the Antman will be included in the next Captain America film.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2015, Orville_Smith wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Donald Dunphy wrote:

- Donald

Besides the bonus-scene of the Wasp-costume, the 2nd bonus-scene with the Falcon telling Cap that they have somebody else they could use, apparently hints that the Antman will be included in the next Captain America film.

Rumor has it that Paul Rudd has stated that filming's already been completed on his scenes. (Additional rumor is that one of them involves him riding on one of Hawkeye's arrows.)

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
One of the coolest things in Ant Man is near the beginning of the movie when a young Hank Pym, (played by Michael Douglas), is arguing with Tony Starks dad, some 25 years ago. The de-aging of Michael Douglas for the scene was absolutely amazing. If you didn't know better, you would swear you were watching a movie with Michael Douglas in from 25 years ago. Kind of scary. As they continue to improve that technology, I believe that you will have older actors playing their younger selves in an entire movie.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I actually liked the movie. Nice nods to the "story line" while having a good way to fit in.

I liked the fact that they are not trying to write it like Shakespeare. After all at the core it is a super hero fantasy story. While Beowulf I guess was one too so do I even have a point?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Checking the box office results, I find that Antman came in at Number One for the 2ND week in a row. It's done better than expected.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
James Gunn, the director of Guardians of the Galaxy, (the best Marvel movie so far released in my opinion), posts a touching letter to his fans on the one year anniversary of the release of the movie.

"One year ago today, Guardians of the Galaxy opened up in the U.S. and many places around the world. The movie massively over-performed that weekend, even by our own expectations, but what meant more to me is how much so many of you, no matter where you were from, took the story and the characters into your hearts. What meant more to me is that "We are Groot" became a rallying cry for unity among friends and families. What meant more to me is that you laughed at the dumb stuff I thought you'd miss, like "Cap'n's gotta teach stuff" and "I was thinking of something else." What meant more to me is that in our tenth week we were out-performing any comic book film in recent history - not because of the money, but because people were going back to see the film a second, third, fourth, fifth time, or more, because they loved it. What mattered to me is that after a lifetime of telling stories and half a lifetime making movies, I felt like you and I, filmmaker and audience, were at the same place at the same time.
It mattered to me mostly because I told a story fully with my heart, and you took it into yours. I don't think I can ever explain how much that means to me. It makes every failure I've ever had well worth it.
I get a lot of messages from people saying, "You made me believe in movies again." Well, you guys made me believe that what I spent my life doing was worth doing. And you strengthened my belief that nothing's worth doing, if it's not done honestly, and it's not done with love.
On this, the one year anniversary of the cinematic Guardians entering our solar system: thank you, thank you, thank you.
We really are, truly, honestly Groot.
Love,
James"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
If you like Superhero movies, 2016 is going to be a big year.

It will include Captain America: Civil War, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, X-Men: Apocalypse, Doctor Strange, Suicide Squad, Gambit and Deadpool. Deadpool just released two trailers, one Red Band and one Blue Band. (Red Band being an 'R' type trailer while Blue Band being a kinder, gentler trailer.) Deadpool is definitely going to be a 'different' type superhero movie.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Deadpool-......565.html
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Looking forward to Doctor Strange and Suicide Squad. And of course, Deadpool. It looks like - at least so far - that Hollywood didn't !@#$ this up too bad. He actually looks and acts true to the comic.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2015, rockwall wrote:
James Gunn, the director of Guardians of the Galaxy,...(the best Marvel movie so far released in my opinion)...

I think I agree. And I don't say that lightly...this film has now entered my list of movies that I can see why flipping through channels...no matter where it is in the story...and just stop and be satisfied with watching it yet again. It's the same criterion I've used for selecting a lot of my favorite films...The Godfather (I and II), Bladerunner, Alien, Field of Dreams...you get the idea. Stories that are told well with characters that a viewer can relate to in some shape or form. I realize it's all subjective, but Guardians hits home for me. It's a movie that works as a piece of entertainment while being true to its roots. And its roots meant a lot to me years ago. So I like that.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2015, rockwall wrote:
If you like Superhero movies, 2016 is going to be a big year.

It will include Captain America: Civil War, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, X-Men: Apocalypse, Doctor Strange, Suicide Squad, Gambit and Deadpool. Deadpool just released two trailers, one Red Band and one Blue Band. (Red Band being an 'R' type trailer while Blue Band being a kinder, gentler trailer.) Deadpool is definitely going to be a 'different' type superhero movie.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Deadpool-......565.html

Well, Deadpool's a 'different' type superhero.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Deadpool is an interesting character from am interesting time in Marvel.

I am not worried about origin or what not bit I hope they give him his attitude. I really liked that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
If you watch the video, they are definitely giving him his attitude.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes I never watch those things because I just wait to see the movie.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yes I never watch those things because I just wait to see the movie.

That may be the best policy- apparently half the scenes in the trailer for Fantastic Four never actually made it into the movie itself.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..29..41..53..65..77..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL