The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..23~24~25~26~27..38..48..58..68..78..79~80~81 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Now they are getting them out faster than I can watch!

I have heard some good things about Luke Cage. Slow start but then when they got to the origin part I guess it really picked up. I am hoping to find time to watch it soon.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Doctor Silver
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Doctor Silver
The ONLY way DC can catch up with Marvel is by a merger with Marvel.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Since you,DS, mentioned a merger, I just heard about another possible merger which would result in the shocking cancellation of ALL X-men magazines. From what I heard, Disney doesn't want any competition from Fox, so Marvel is being pressured to eliminate ALL X-men titles. The merger would be a merging of the X-men with the Inhumans. Xavier's mutants will still survive but they will be merged into an entirely different team. X-men fans are understandably outraged at this development.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I think that a merger between DC and marvel would hurt both products. Both are quality products that cater to their respective audiences. Some people are fans of both, but nearly everyone has their preference. I do. This is probably as it should be. If they ever merged, both of what makes them unique would be lost. I'd be sad.

On another note, I just finished watching Luke Cage. Yes it was gritty. Yes it was dark and a bit fatalistic. It was also great. Great scripting, great acting, great direction. Overall five star rating. I'm not sure why DC can't keep up with that. They should be able to produce a TV product of that quality, but I guess it is what I said above... They are going for a different audience. I like Flash, I like Arrow, (Jury's out on Legends of Tomorrow, I think that show has some problems)but those shows aren't the same level as Marvel's TV efforts.

Of course Marvel TV is on cable, allowing for some profanity. I don't think it is needed. Luke's "Sweet Christmas!" Expletive works just fine. There are some greater allowances for the dark theme on cable, but I still think DC could match that if they wanted to. I guess they just don't want to.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
No love for Gotham here?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Gotham is fine. I enjoy it. My problem with that show is that I am a purist going back and starting to read and collect comic books in 1972. Gotham is seriously messing with the "Batman cannon." Doesn't make it a bad show, I have the same issue with most prequels; you already know what they are building up to.
Magic is like Science,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea it is going into details that never existed and it is not really following stay HAD to happen.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Gotham (n.) Look up Gotham at Dictionary.com
"New York City," first used by Washington Irving in "Salmagundi" (1807), based on "Merrie Tales of the Mad Men of Gotham" (1460), a collection of legendary stories of English villagers alternately wise and foolish. There is a village of this name in Nottinghamshire, originally Gatham (1086), in Old English, "Enclosure (literally 'homestead') where goats are kept." It is unknown if this was the place intended in the stories. Related: Gothamite.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
I like Flash, I like Arrow, (Jury's out on Legends of Tomorrow, I think that show has some problems).

When you said Legends of Tomorrow has problems, are you referring to the time-discrepancies? For example, after Rip Hunter's time-trip back to ancient-Egypt, there were archaeologists here in the present-time who excavated a hieroglyphic. Among the pictographs shown on the hieroglyph was a pictograph of Rip Hunter's time-machine. The problem here is that a time traveler to the past has to AVOID leaving any evidence of his appearance, otherwise it would upset the whole time-continuum. The word is Anachronism,i.e., something Not appropriate to a particular time-period. That anachronism is only one of several anachronisms, so I wonder whether Cliff meant them or not.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Yes Orville, that is part of it.

If you have watched the new show "Timeless" they do a great job of showing how history can be subtly, or not so subtly changed.

I am not a big fan of time travel in the first place.

Einstein was not happy when someone showed him that HIS work allowed for going BACK in time and that it was theoretically and mathematically possible. I agree with him. I actually did a presentation to a large group of teachers at Occidental College on this very topic and why I felt it was not possible. Do I have mathematical proof? No. The math says it can be done. But logic says other wise.

if you could change time, would anyone know you had done it? Or would people feel that what they now experience is what was?

The show Legends of Tomorrow spits on science really badly. (Get over it Cliff, it is fiction/fantasy)

True enough that. But it just doesn't work for me.
Magic is like Science,
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I got a kick out of the reference to "Back to the Future II" on "Timeless" this week. I made the comment to my wife as we were watching it, and then they said something in the script.

Still enjoying season 3 of "The Flash", and the impact of "Flashpoint".

We're only 1 episode into season 2 of "DC's Legends of Tomorrow", and it will be interesting to see where show that goes this season.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
A little teaser for Guardians of the Galaxy 2, next May.

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here's the newly released trailer for "Logan" (aka Wolverine III), coming March 3, 2017:

Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2016, rockwall wrote:
Saw Suicide Squad over the weekend and while there were some fun moments, particularly Margo Robbie's portrayal of Harley Quinn, the movie was a big disappointment. While it clobbered opening records for August including beating Guardians of the Galaxy by over 40 million, I would bet that Guardians overall earnings will still end up beating Suicide Squad as I expect the bad word of mouth will make the earnings drop off quickly.

Even though the reviews for Batman Vs Superman were terrible, I felt like the movie was still pretty fun to watch and not as bad as the reviews made it. I'm afraid I have to agree with many of the reviews on this one.

So, how can DC catch up with Marvel? At this point, I don't think they can. At least not in the foreseeable future.

So, I think I can now say that my prediction was right as at this point in it's run Guardians of the Galaxy had made more money than Suicide Squad has. However, I have to admit that I'm surprised that Suicide Squad has done as well as it has. And it's amazing how close the numbers are for both movies.

Cost to make: Suicide Squad 175 mil Guardians 170 mil
Gross after 11 weeks: Suicide Squad ~324 mil Guardians ~327 mil

Total including Foreign Suicide Squad ~745 mil (11 weeks) Guardians ~773 mil (total)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I suspected as much.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
That is a real shock given how much great press and word of mouth Guardians got, and how much bad press and bad word of mouth Squad got.
Magic is like Science,
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Up til now,I never cared to watch Agents of Shield at all, but recently began watching because of Ghost Rider's inclusion. The multiple appearances of the Ghost Rider seem to be tied in with the upcoming Dr. Strange movie because Ghost Rider ran across the Darkhold book which is an important part of the Dr. Strange mythos.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Man, I'm trying to watch AoS but it's just so bad. I think I'll have to enjoy Doctor Strange without worrying about the tie ins. I think AoS has probably ruined the Inhumans enough that Marvel may never actually release the Inhumans movie they were planning on now.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So Friday I went to see Doctor Strange. As I have said I have never been a big fan of the charecter.

No spooilers here.

I liked the movie. While it will not convert me to buying the books the movie was good enough.

At times it was sort of like watching a live action MC Escher picture.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
The film has been getting good reviews in general, so I'm excited about seeing it.

I actually loved Doctor Strange in the comics, as he was not a cliche hero and of course used magic...albeit real magic.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..23~24~25~26~27..38..48..58..68..78..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL