The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31..41..50..59..68..77..79~80~81 [Next]
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I'll likely see them all.

I guess that the ones I'm looking forward to the most are "Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2" and "Spider-man: Homecoming". (BTW, I'm not sure if anyone caught this from the movie trailer and the info on IMDB, but it looks like Iron Man will have a nice role in the Spider-Man movie, which I think will tie the movie nicely into "Captain America: Civil War" and the 2 previous "Avengers" movies, and lead nicely into next year's "Infinity War" movie. I really think that including Ant-Man and Spider-Man into Civil War was a nice touch, and almost gave it the feeling of an Avengers movie, even though it was missing Hulk and Thor.)

Once, I had great hope for the "Justice League" movie, because I grew up loving DC comics. But I wasn't overly impressed with "Man of Steel", "Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice", nor "Suicide Squad". They were just OK. They just went in a direction that I didn't enjoy. The Marvel movies seem a little lighter and more fun than the DC movies. The DC movies were dark, violent, noisy, and confusing. So, I don't have a lot of hope for an impressive Justice League movie. I'm thinking that "Wonder Woman" will likely be the best of the DC movies, so that would be my third choice for a movie to look forward to.

I still am enjoying the DC comics TV shows, and I like certain ones more than others. "The Flash" and "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" are my favourites.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
The poor quality of the DC movies so far is why I'm looking forward to JLA.
Hopefully they'll get it right.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Really Donald? Batman is a very dark charecter. Even Wolverine, who by any standard is one of the darker hero's is not even closer. Deadpool is campy by comparison to the Dark Knight. DC in general is a far darker feel than Marvel.

No the movies are not as good. But dark and violent is who they are.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2016, Orville Smith wrote:
Now that you mention model-kits, Cliff, there is a kit that has tempted me. It's a kit based on the Claude Rains' Invisible Man. Actually, my obsession with that character began ages before I ever saw the movie. It was when I was still a toddler during the 1950s that I had to beg my parents to buy a comic magazine at Kress Store. It was a Classics Illustrated version of the Invisible Man. C-I (Gilberton) was a company which published graphic versions of all the classics such as Hamlet, etc. What caught my eye and made it irresistible as far as wonderment was the cover-painting depicting an invisible man with his hat and goggles floating in mid-air. Being a toddler at that time, I could not really read too much, so I just dwelled on the pictures, which were enough to enthrall me.

I had to wait about two decades later in the 1970s when the Claude Rains' adaptation was shown at a local library. When it rains, it pours, because around the same time, there premiered a television series of Invisible Man starring David McCallum. So it all began with the magazine I got as toddler.

The Invisible Man magazine was neither Marvel or DC, but during the 1970s,Marvel did an adaptation of the Invisible Man too, in their title, Supernatural Thrillers. I, of course, bought that one. How about you, Cliff? Did you ever get those Classics Illustrated? I also remember my parents getting a C-I issue of the classic "War of the Worlds" (the famous Martian invasion), but being just a toddler during the 1950s, it did not have any impact on me -- that is, until I heard the impactful Radio-broadcast of Orson Welles, which, as you know, caused a nation-wide panic.

I had quite a few of the Aurora model kits back in the 60s. But NOT "The Invisible Man." Kong, Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde.

When I was going to be an actor. One of the first jobs I had was a four one-act compilation based on the old horror movies. Frankenstein, Dracula, Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Notre Dame. While browsing J.C. Penny's (yes, this was THAT long ago) I found those four model kits for sale. Grabbed them, put them together and brought them to the theatre. (Slight digression, the models came with "glow in the dark" pieces for the face and hands, while on the subway, we hit a "dead zone" and all the lights went out, when they came back on, everyone was staring at me because I'd packed the finished models in an open box and all anyone saw was a guy sitting on the train with a box that GLOWED! The "glowing" also surprised our director who was backstage during a blackout and suddenly saw all the models glowing! Good times.) When the play closed after a couple of weeks, we gave the models to each of the actors that had played the monsters. I would love to find those again, but I'm told the company that owned the molds lost them in a fire!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2016, Orville Smith wrote:
Now that you mention model-kits, Cliff, there is a kit that has tempted me. It's a kit based on the Claude Rains' Invisible Man. Actually, my obsession with that character began ages before I ever saw the movie. It was when I was still a toddler during the 1950s that I had to beg my parents to buy a comic magazine at Kress Store. It was a Classics Illustrated version of the Invisible Man. C-I (Gilberton) was a company which published graphic versions of all the classics such as Hamlet, etc. What caught my eye and made it irresistible as far as wonderment was the cover-painting depicting an invisible man with his hat and goggles floating in mid-air. Being a toddler at that time, I could not really read too much, so I just dwelled on the pictures, which were enough to enthrall me.

I had to wait about two decades later in the 1970s when the Claude Rains' adaptation was shown at a local library. When it rains, it pours, because around the same time, there premiered a television series of Invisible Man starring David McCallum. So it all began with the magazine I got as toddler.

The Invisible Man magazine was neither Marvel or DC, but during the 1970s,Marvel did an adaptation of the Invisible Man too, in their title, Supernatural Thrillers. I, of course, bought that one. How about you, Cliff? Did you ever get those Classics Illustrated? I also remember my parents getting a C-I issue of the classic "War of the Worlds" (the famous Martian invasion), but being just a toddler during the 1950s, it did not have any impact on me -- that is, until I heard the impactful Radio-broadcast of Orson Welles, which, as you know, caused a nation-wide panic.

I had quite a few of the Aurora model kits back in the 60s. But NOT "The Invisible Man." Kong, Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde.

When I was going to be an actor. One of the first jobs I had was a four one-act compilation based on the old horror movies. Frankenstein, Dracula, Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Notre Dame. While browsing J.C. Penny's (yes, this was THAT long ago) I found those four model kits for sale. Grabbed them, put them together and brought them to the theatre. (Slight digression, the models came with "glow in the dark" pieces for the face and hands, while on the subway, we hit a "dead zone" and all the lights went out, when they came back on, everyone was staring at me because I'd packed the finished models in an open box and all anyone saw was a guy sitting on the train with a box that GLOWED! The "glowing" also surprised our director who was backstage during a blackout and suddenly saw all the models glowing! Good times.) When the play closed after a couple of weeks, we gave the models to each of the actors that had played the monsters. I would love to find those again, but I'm told the company that owned the molds lost them in a fire!

Actually,model-kits of Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, and the Mummy were re-issued about 10 years ago again. I did not get those but I recently purchased a high-quality figure of the Boris Karloff Mummy. Not a toy but a high-end collectible. The Mummy is my favorite monster because it involves Reincarnation. That's why to me, Imhotep's death at the film's finale is not tragic or fatalistic at all, because it was shown throughout the movie that Imhotep had already reincarnated several times. Presumably he will reincarnate again to hopefully succeed at getting reunited with the princess. It's the proverb "If at first you don't succeed, then try, try again" taken to a whole new level!
By the way,Ed, I enjoyed reading your nostalgic remembrance, as much as I enjoyed reading your comicon report many moons again. At least I think that was you, Ed, correct me if I'm wrong.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think that was me. I was going to RI Comiccon. I go to that one because, living in Providence, I don't need travel expenses or a hotel room.

I'll try to include pictures next (later [I]this[I]?) year.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, Donald Dunphy wrote:
... Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 - May 5, 2017

I'm hoping this is a fun movie.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
1. JLA
2. Iron Fist
3. Ragnarok

Here's the Iron Fist Trailer for you:

- Donald
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Thanks, Donald.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle the dragon brand transfer.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2017, Cliffg37 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, Orville Smith wrote:

The way I see it, Cliff, isn't "clouding men's minds" actually hypnotism? Even Mandrake used hypnotism sometimes. And I've even heard it theorized that the Hindu Rising Rope was actually hypnotism. Also, Mandrake could use his hypnotism to make his foes see anything,e.g., turning an assailant's gun into a snake. In comparison, the Shadow uses his hypnotism for only invisibility. Isn't that self-limiting?
Anyway,I was wondering, Cliff, what you think about the Shadow's method, especially when compared with the way that Mandrake uses it.

Indeed, Mandrake would use hypnotism as an illusion generator. This makes sense... In Las Vegas, some of the R and X rated Hypnotists get people to do things on stage they would never do in public. This is done via the illusion aspect of hypnosis. ie. You are in your bedroom getting ready for sleep... you begin to take off your clothes...

The Shadow was probably not hypnosis. For one thing it was all or nothing. When he activated his "clouding" power, no one could see him; not friend or foe. I think his power was a training to project a field of some kind that people would see what they expected to see and not him. Stephen King wrote in "Through Dragon's Eyes," that true invisibility was not possible, but there were spells that would make someone not want to look at you, and think you were not there.

The Kind of Hypnosis that Mandrake used is in my opinion far superior to the Shadow's clouding men's minds. But then, the Shadown only fought ordinary human criminals with guns and evil intentions.

Douglas Adams referred to it as a "Somebody Else's Problem" field. It's not invisablity, but when you look at something, your mind says; "That's someone else's problem." and you dismiss it without action.
erikdobell
View Profile
Regular user
Gatlinburg Tennessee
139 Posts

Profile of erikdobell
Cancel the entire thing, wait three years and reboot with new people.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
If you're a Marvel fan, this should get you excited.

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Even though I wasn't intending to, I saw the Batman Lego movie.

Glad I did. It's hard to do satire well and they pulled it off. Very funny.

Nuff said.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
How can DC catch up with Marvel? Very easily, but they won't do it.... not really.

The answer is summed up in one word. Continuity. DC could easily use their lead in the TV show arena to start building up as Marvel did with the early movies.

Marvel is a master of it, though it is going to trip them up if someone is paying attention.

Over at DC Jonathan Kent has been a veteran of many wars. It keeps getting adjusted with the timeline. Originally a vet of The Big War, it soon became WWII and Korea, and Vietnam. I imagine not long from now He will have fought in the gulf war. Well that is fine and dandy, filed away under who cares, but watch where that won't work for Marvel....

Captain America had his origin and fought in world war two. Cap Gets Frozen. Nick Fury tell him he as been asleep 75 years. OK fine. The years may change, but the concept still works, but....
Cap's origin includes Tony Stark's father Howard. While Howard I suppose could have fathered a son at age 60, long after the war, it doesn't really work so good.

Comic books need to happen outside of time, and as humans we cannot.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Has anyone in these pages mentioned the DC Comics REBIRTH?

I am curious as to what DC fans think of it?

They have been down a strange creative hole in my mind for a long time and The New 52 didn't help AT ALL!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
To answer Dan, I have 12 issues of the Rebirth but only for the Flash. Of what I have, it was alright although I don't feel enthusiasm for the Extra-dimensional speed force whose concept was expanded on in this Rebirth. The concept has become too convoluted. Not only that but it went Overboard by having an extra-dimensional Storm through which the speed force leaked out to affect many civilians in the city, endowing them all with super speed!
As an aside, it reminds me of an ATOM story from the 1960s, namely, "The 1,000 Atoms of Ivy Town." Much as I hate to say it, I prefer the ATOM story rather than the Flash.
In all fairness to the Flash, though, it had a twist in that one of the residents endowed with super-speed became evil, making the story somewhat different from the Atom.
Don't get me wrong--the Extra-dimensional speed force is not a bad idea at all. It's just that it's so convoluted, affecting different speedsters such as Max Mercury and Impulse and John Fox and in different ways that it takes so much homework to make heads or tails of it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Even though I wasn't intending to, I saw the Batman Lego movie.

Glad I did. It's hard to do satire well and they pulled it off. Very funny.

Nuff said.

I went to see it based on this. I am a huge satire fan. I never saw any Lego movies.

This movie captured me from the first word. No kidding.

If you enjoy satire and know a bit about Batman mythos this movie is for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I thought the Lego Batman movie was fun.

- Donald
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
The Lego Batman has been called a satire. But instead I think it's more of a parody. Because a satire is actually the use of sarcasm to criticize or attack something. Whereas a parody is a humorous imitation which is what I get from the movie.
Along those lines, a classic example of a parody is PLASTIC MAN. Even from the beginning in its original form, Plastic Man was already a parody, specifically a Self-parody. So I think it was redundant and unnecessary when MAD Magazine did a parody of Plastic Man. After all, how do you make a parody out of a parody?
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Yep, parody.

My bad.

Still a blast.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31..41..50..59..68..77..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL