The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..23..37..51..65..79~80~81 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Anyone on the Blackhawk movie question?
No love for Chop-Chop?
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, landmark wrote:
Anyone on the Blackhawk movie question?
No love for Chop-Chop?

To answer your question, the only Blackhawk film I know of was the chapter-serial starring Kirk Alyn. Alyn also portrayed Superman in the movie-serials. Since you like Blackhawk, I presume you grew up during the 60s like I did. The Blackhawk villain that stands out for me was the one who was known for his so-called War-Wheel. It was a Giant Wheel that was also a rolling arsenal, if you can picture a Giant Wheel rolling by itself. Unless I'm mistaken, the villain sat in the Hub of the Giant Wheel.

During that time, there was another DC group like Blackhawk which was called Challengers of the Unknown. My favorite issue of that series was the one that did a cross-over with the DOOM PATROL. Remember that series?

As far as that Frenchie you mentioned in another post, Marvel's Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandoes also had a Frenchie. Seems that Marvel stole that idea from DC's Blackhawk, as Blackhawk began way back in the 1950s. Marvel tends to copycat, the worst copycat being Quicksilver which Marvel stole from DC's The Flash.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2014, landmark wrote:
So is Jhon J'onzz still around and is he still green? I think I once picked up a comic where he had turned a different color and I figured this whole comic world was becoming too complicated for me.

I don't know about the color-change that you mentioned. To me, the Martian Manhunter always had green skin. But there are some Martians who have white skin, as Mars has more than one ethnicity. A notorious example is the villain,Commander Blanx, who caused the whole Justice League to become involved.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well I did a little googling here. I remember him as this guy:

But then I ran across this:

I dunno. He seemed different. I guess it's really his costume and a bit of skin tone change. He always seemed like a filler guy, but he was more interesting than Superman to me because fire seemed like something more available to your average villain, and hence made the superhero less invulnerable seeming.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He has become much more prominent lately.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2014, landmark wrote:
Well I did a little googling here. I remember him as this guy:

But then I ran across this:

I dunno. He seemed different. I guess it's really his costume and a bit of skin tone change. He always seemed like a filler guy, but he was more interesting than Superman to me because fire seemed like something more available to your average villain, and hence made the superhero less invulnerable seeming.

Another "weakness" of the Martian J'onzz (that is usually forgotten) is that (UNlike Superman) he can Not fly through the void of outer space. To travel to Mars, he has to use a spaceship or a teleportational device.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not to mention matches.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Rus faster.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
"Here's Why Marvel Is Still Beating DC In The Comic Book Movie Wars"

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Here-Why-......974.html

"With Marvel, you get the sense that both the creative talent and executives care deeply about the source material and delivering projects that will please fans and movie-lovers alike. With DC, more specifically Warner Bros., it’s as if digging into their gigantic library is a chore, and the only reason they’re making these movies is to turn a profit. Warner Bros. also doesn’t seem to embrace DC Entertainment as an independent entity, which restricts their creative endeavors. "
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Not to mention matches.

Now that you mention it, I remember (in a 1960s issue) the Martian's horror when a bystander began smoking a Cigarette. When you think about it, cigarette use is so commonplace that you can find somebody smoking a cig on practically every city-block, usually several people at a time. So it's a wonder that J'onzz can survive.

Nowadays many restaurants don't allow any smoking on their premises, so at least that's someplace where J'onzz is safe.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember a story in which the secret identities became separate from the heroes. After freaking out because all of his special Martian powers were gone (he was screaming "I'm blind!" although he could see perfectly well, but only in the visible spectrum) John Jones sits in his room lighting matches and staring into the flame... simply because he can. (In case you're wondering, Eel O'Brian, the wheelman who became Plastic Man, has to get everyone back with their respective "hero" identities because they're all beginning go lose it.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Several years ago, DC was trying to make J'onzz similar to Mr. Spock as far as his emotional Coldness. When Green Arrow asked J'onzz if he has emotions, J'onzz replied that he has them but that he suppresses them. Then when asked if he ever visited the planet Vulcan, and J'onzz said "No," Green Arrow remarked,"If you go there, you would feel right at home."

The last time I've seen him, J'onzz still seemed emotionally Cold, especially because nowadays his facial features are different in that his forehead and brow are so prominent that his eyeballs can Not be seen. Instead,his eyes look like dark empty sockets which make him appear Cold and distant. Quite a change from how he used to appear during the 1960s.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
That's it Orville, the eyes. That's the big difference. I knew it was something.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I also thought that the green hornet movie and the shadow movie that came out a few years ago - both were not very good.

However I liked the Phantom movie.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Way to keep up with the discussion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Over 30 superhero movies will be released in the next 6 years – here’s every single one

https://bgr.com/2014/11/17/every-superhe......gh-2020/
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Over 30 superhero movies will be released in the next 6 years – here’s every single one

https://bgr.com/2014/11/17/every-superhe......gh-2020/

EXHILARATING news, thanks for the update. You made my day!! The entire movie industry realizes that Superheroes are the Biggest moneymaker. So Superheroes are here to stay.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
You know, when I was a kid, I loved two things. Comic books and movies. I dreamed of movies made of my favorite super heroes, The Fantastic Four, Spider Man, The X-Men. But I realized that they just didn't have the ability to capture these heroes powers and abilities realistically. I am now supremely happy that I'm living in an age where the dreams of my childhood have come true.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Super hero movies used to be made for the kids. As well as the writing of comic books. It was for the kids. However it was a long time coming - making super hero movies for adults.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2014, bishthemagish wrote:
Super hero movies used to be made for the kids. As well as the writing of comic books. It was for the kids. However it was a long time coming - making super hero movies for adults.

Even back during the 1960s, the series,The Elongated Man, had an adult flavor. That was because writer Gardner Fox had adapted the married couple of Ralph and Sue Dibny from the old 1930s movies of the Thin Man which was, in turn, adapted from the novel by the famous Dashiell Hammett. The basic idea (as in the Thin Man) was that both Ralph and Sue were a globe-trotting millionaire couple who solve criminal mysteries as a hobby. Big difference is Ralph Dibny has the bizarre superpower of Elasticity, being a literal human rubber-band. For example, in one story, Dibny wants to scrutinize something closely but has forgotten his magnifying glass, so he enlarges his own Eye-ball, enlarges his eye to the shape and size of a baseball. That way,presumably, his eyeball can see in magnification. I remember how much I was taken aback when I saw that, as it was so visually bizarre to see an eyeball that huge, especially when compared with his opposite eyeball which remained normal-sized.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..23..37..51..65..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL