The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..26..39..52..65..78..79~80~81 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
So take a look at the old Adventures of Superman show, or 1960's Batman, or The Long Ranger etc. There was never any attempt to move the characters along in any of these shows. They each lasted as long as they did, by having the "villain of the week" fight the hero. For the most part, heroes of the 70's and 80's were the same. Lou Ferigno was once quotes as to how much he hated the TV show "Wonder Woman" because it ran for three years with no character development of any kind. He also petitioned for having the Hulk show some emotion because he wanted character development too.

Maybe it was Smallville to be there first "hero" show to spend more time on behind the scenes relationships and less time on heroics and action. It worked I guess.

Bottom line is that shows will be produced that make money, so it comes down to what the sponsors think the public wants. Me? I like the action adventure more than the sexual tension and who is with who. On Arrow we just saw a major character in bed with a minor one. I didn't need that.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What is the point of telling exactly the same story?

But that is your preference and that is ok. No right answer. Actually it is the right answer for you.

People re imagine the wheel all the time. Put rubber on it and use it for all sorts of things like the pulley and gears.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, bishthemagish wrote:
Reinventing the characters?

Why reinvent the wheel?

The Model T had wheels too.

Me? I like it what they're doing.

Like I said, to each his own.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
The writers of the show can do what they want.

Me as a fan - I can like it for whatever reason - or not like it for whatever reason.

My choice. And I don't like Arrow or the Flash or Gotham.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
I wonder why Marvel doesn't do a more mainstream character as a series, like maybe, oh I don't know, THE HULK?

I don't know if you consider them mainstream but Marvel has several TV shows in the works with Netflix.

http://collider.com/netflix-marvel-tv-schedule/

"Marvel’s new TV series Daredevil is set to arrive on Netflix on April 10th, and will be followed by A.K.A. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. However, when we will see three series remains to be seen. We know Marvel’s plan is for these four series to lead up to the cross-over series, The Defenders. However, when exactly we’ll get these series and how often is unclear. Daredevil showrunner Steven DeKnight has hinted at a second season of Daredevil that would introduce arch-nemesis Bullseye, but would that second season arrive before or after Defenders?"

Personally, I'm a huge Marvel comic book fan but nothing on TV has impressed me yet, Marvel OR DC so I don't hold out a lot of hope for any of these shows. Hopefully, I'll be surprised.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Here's the trailer for Daredevil.

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:

Me as a fan - I can like it for whatever reason - or not like it for whatever reason.

Fair enough.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:

Fair enough.

Which was our point all along.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why Marvel doesn't do a more mainstream character as a series, like maybe, oh I don't know, THE HULK?

I don't know if you consider them mainstream but Marvel has several TV shows in the works with Netflix.

http://collider.com/netflix-marvel-tv-schedule/

"Marvel’s new TV series Daredevil is set to arrive on Netflix on April 10th, and will be followed by A.K.A. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. However, when we will see three series remains to be seen. We know Marvel’s plan is for these four series to lead up to the cross-over series, The Defenders. However, when exactly we’ll get these series and how often is unclear. Daredevil showrunner Steven DeKnight has hinted at a second season of Daredevil that would introduce arch-nemesis Bullseye, but would that second season arrive before or after Defenders?"

Personally, I'm a huge Marvel comic book fan but nothing on TV has impressed me yet, Marvel OR DC so I don't hold out a lot of hope for any of these shows. Hopefully, I'll be surprised.

Rockwall sometimes you are a fount of information. Smile

Everything could always be better, but so far it has been pretty good and at times excellent.

I'm just going to come out and say it, I like the superhero genre for two reasons.
1. To see good triumph over evil.
and
2. For the action scenes.

That's why I want a Hulk TV show. To see HULK SMASH!!

In between moments of retrospection of course.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am looking forward to DD.

Stick is one of my favorite charters. Scott Glenn will bring him to life in the series and I think will do a great job.

Also consider the expense and production costs of doing The Hulk well. Probably better reserved for movies.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Disney has an animated Avengers with some great smashing and Hulk VS Thor moments.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am looking forward to DD.

Stick is one of my favorite charters. Scott Glenn will bring him to life in the series and I think will do a great job.

Also consider the expense and production costs of doing The Hulk well. Probably better reserved for movies.

Daredevil looks cool.

I'm glad that they didn't try to make too many superhero movies and TV shows until the CGI got good enough.
The old stuff is painful to watch.

Hopefully it will get cheap enough that it will be feasible in the near future.
They use quite a bit in The Flash, but not to the extent that they are doing full characters.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Disney has an animated Avengers with some great smashing and Hulk VS Thor moments.

My kid liked one joke that must have gone over almost everyone's head; Captain America is giving orders and his final order is that Hulk and a couple of others stay behind and defend the base. Hulk looks at him and says; "Do I look like a defender to you?" Hulk of course was one of the first three Defenders along with Dr. Strange and Sub Mariner. (The original premise of The Defenders was to get characters that DIDN'T work in teams and put them in a "loose" team to see how they would react.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenders_%28comics%29

I kinda miss third person child like Hulk.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea that was a great inside baseball joke.

This Hulk is a nice blend I think. The episode where they all sort of become Hulk and have to deal with his anger issues is pretty cool.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Look away if you're trying to avoid watching any trailers of the upcoming Avengers movie. Here is the latest, release today. Most of it is new and it is AMAZING! Be sure to watch it to the end to get the first real shot of The Vision.

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Look away if you're trying to avoid watching any trailers of the upcoming Avengers movie. Here is the latest, release today. Most of it is new and it is AMAZING! Be sure to watch it to the end to get the first real shot of The Vision.

I've waited this long I can wait 58 MORE DAYS!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, Cliffg37 wrote:
So take a look at the old Adventures of Superman show, or 1960's Batman, or The Long Ranger etc. There was never any attempt to move the characters along in any of these shows. They each lasted as long as they did, by having the "villain of the week" fight the hero. For the most part, heroes of the 70's and 80's were the same. Lou Ferigno was once quotes as to how much he hated the TV show "Wonder Woman" because it ran for three years with no character development of any kind. He also petitioned for having the Hulk show some emotion because he wanted character development too.

Maybe it was Smallville to be there first "hero" show to spend more time on behind the scenes relationships and less time on heroics and action. It worked I guess.

Bottom line is that shows will be produced that make money, so it comes down to what the sponsors think the public wants. Me? I like the action adventure more than the sexual tension and who is with who. On Arrow we just saw a major character in bed with a minor one. I didn't need that.

Fair enough. I think you're in a minority as most people want some sort of character development in their shows no matter what the format.

Look at "Bones." It went from two people solving crimes to having a kid and getting married (and don't think the getting married part didn't factor into the show, they had an entire thread where a psychopath demanded that the guy (Booth) break off his engagement to Bones and not tell her why or the psycho would kill her. Took them a whole season to clear that one up.

I like to see character development. I don't think the "villain of the week" plots would fly today.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
TCM is showing the old 1943 Lewis Wilson Batman serial. Sure is fun to watch, and in a lot of ways I enjoy it a lot more than George Clooney and Val Kilmer versions!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
I agree with Cliff that there is too much emphasis on character-development nowadays. SOME character development can be good but doing it to excess can turn it into a nauseating soap-opera, as witness the Spiderman stories. Most of the customers who buy comics do so because they want adventure rather than a nauseating soap-opera. What also makes it detrimental is that the science-fiction is thereby forced into the background. In comparison, if you look at the Justice League from the 1960s, the issues written by Gardner Fox, there was a tremendous outpouring of innovative science-fiction ideas. That is what I enjoyed and preferred about the 1960s. I think Cliff feels the same as I do since I recall him mentioning he has amassed a complete collection of the 1960s JLA.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I still think the Adam West Batman TV show is the best Batman to date. I love his bat-gear, Batmobile, Batcycle, Batcoptor, batboat. And bat anti shark repellent.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..26..39..52..65..78..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL