The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25..37..48..59..70..79~80~81 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Marvel released so much amazing goodness at Comic Con.

They showed a trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 which has Kurt Russel in it as Star Lords father. People are raving about the trailer but unfortunately they haven't released it to the public yet. Hopefully soon.

One thing they did release was a new trailer for Dr Strange which looks totally trippy. (When Dr Strange was first printed in the 60's, a number of reviewers compared it to being on an acid trip)

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh lord yes lets play the Greg Brady "exact words" game. Once you get to that you really are being a troll.

So yes you got me. Not EVERYONE knows. Right I did use a wrong word. You are so clever. But for Batman to reveal who he is PRIOR to anyone bring on his team is very un Batman like. This is the guy who wore a led lined cowl so Supergirl couldn't know who he is.

Secret identities are secret. Batman is particularly paranoid about it. Extremely vigilant about it. So to just take a chance to "build trust" was an odd move.

To many people know who these guys are in the modern Era superhero movies. Which was exactly what I said. I did not say I didn't follow the story line, or didn't see what that did.

Where are your vaunted comprehension skills?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I will go see the Doc Strange movie though I am not a fan at all.

The weird thinking on my part as far as the charecter goes is just the impossibility of it strikes a bad chord with me. Sure gamma accidents, Iron Man, Asgard, Guardians, Sups from another planet, and all that seems ok. But for some reason the Strange charecter just gives me that no way feeling. Pretty crazy reasoning huh?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I was never a fan of the comic either but I think the movie looks fantastic. I was a big big Marvel comic fan growing up but I gotta admit, I think Marvel's movies are generally better than the comics.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My latest obsession has been the death of Jason Todd, Death of Superman, Dark Knight Returns and Korvac. Oh and The Killing Joke, where basically Oracle is born.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I went and saw Civil War again and it still holds up. I was happy.

Funny thing happened though. My wife is a Duran Duran fan and we went to the show in Glendale Arizona. (Phoenix basically.) Good show blah blah blah, BUT the distracting thing is that the lead singer Simon Le Bon looks almost EXACTLY like Hawkeye! At least from the 8th row. Took me like 4 songs to piece it together but it became oddly distracting. Sure Simon is almost 60 and Renner is way younger but it was enough to make you look and tilt your head and say Hmmmmm.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I really enjoyed "Captain America: Civil War." I saw it 3 times in the theatre.

I think that Marvel is rocking the movies, and DC is rocking the TV shows. I love that CW is going to have 4 nights of DC Superhero shows, starting this fall. (I don't have Netflix, so I can't comment on the Marvel series there.)

Has anyone seen "Suicide Squad" yet? I was considering seeing it in the next week or so, but maybe not on opening weekend.

I was interested in buying a copy of the Ultimate Edition of "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice"*, but I think that version is only available in Blu-ray. I have a DVD player, and quite a collection of DVDs, so I wasn't really interested in buying a Blu-ray player just for that one movie. (Yes, I know that Blu-ray players also play DVDs.)

* Someone earlier linked to an article that suggested that the Ultimate Edition, with the extra footage, made more sense as a movie / story.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
On my way right now.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
When you mentioned the Hawkeye-resemblance, I have to say that John Colicos (in his physical resemblance)would have been the perfect actor to play Baron Mordo. Lamentable then that Mr. Colicos has passed away, because had he still been alive, the resemblance to Mordo is uncanny.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
I understand that is how the movie is written. I don't think it is good.

My problem to be clear is that they know who Batman is. Secret identities used to be... oh I don't know... SECRET!

Yes I watched the movie. Did you take reading comprehension classes?

I do believe the Justice League knew each other identities in the comic. The purpose of the masks is to keep the average joe from knowing who Batman, Flash, etc. are.

This of course leads us to the Marvel movies where the characters DO give up their identities ("I AM Iron Man!") and still wear masks. Well, for Tony it's probably protection and for Steve it's more than likely inspiration.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Caps mask is a helmet. Yes the "I am Iron Man" thing bothered the crap out of me. In the Spiderman movies it seems as if every villain knows who he is.

And no in the comics they make a big deal for a long time not knowing who is behind the masks. Made it a big deal because Batman was such a great detective he figured it all out.

And CERTAINLY he NEVER would reveal it prior to a person actually being in the League. Giving up the identity is not a recruitment tool. This is where I have the issues.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Saw Suicide Squad over the weekend and while there were some fun moments, particularly Margo Robbie's portrayal of Harley Quinn, the movie was a big disappointment. While it clobbered opening records for August including beating Guardians of the Galaxy by over 40 million, I would bet that Guardians overall earnings will still end up beating Suicide Squad as I expect the bad word of mouth will make the earnings drop off quickly.

Even though the reviews for Batman Vs Superman were terrible, I felt like the movie was still pretty fun to watch and not as bad as the reviews made it. I'm afraid I have to agree with many of the reviews on this one.

So, how can DC catch up with Marvel? At this point, I don't think they can. At least not in the foreseeable future.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I think you are right.

I agree about Suicide Squad, and Batman Vs Superman.

Also with your overall conclusions.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Since the support seems to be for Marvel movies, here's a reminder.

Upcoming movies from Marvel:

November 2016: Doctor Strange
March 2017: Untitled Wolverine Film
May 2017: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
July 2017: Spider-Man: Homecoming
November 2017: Thor: Ragnarok
February 2018: Black Panther
May 2018: Avengers: Infinity War *
July 2018: Ant-Man and The Wasp
March 2019: Captain Marvel
May 2019: Untitled Avengers Film *

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi......l_Comics

- Donald

P.S. * Originally, Infinity War was to be Part I and II, in 2018 and 2019. But they changed that information / those titles not too long ago.

P.P.S. Of course, the Wolverine film is from 20th Century Fox, and isn't part of the MCU. There's still no firm information about when Gambit will be filmed and released.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was hoping for Ant Man sooner and another Deadpool.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think that the Deadpool sequel is coming in January 2018. It's not listed on that Wikipedia page right now, but it is listed on IMDB.

- Donald
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2016, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Since the support seems to be for Marvel movies, here's a reminder.

Upcoming movies from Marvel:

November 2016: Doctor Strange
March 2017: Untitled Wolverine Film
May 2017: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
July 2017: Spider-Man: Homecoming
November 2017: Thor: Ragnarok
February 2018: Black Panther
May 2018: Avengers: Infinity War *
July 2018: Ant-Man and The Wasp
March 2019: Captain Marvel
May 2019: Untitled Avengers Film *

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi......l_Comics

- Donald

P.S. * Originally, Infinity War was to be Part I and II, in 2018 and 2019. But they changed that information / those titles not too long ago.

See link for deets:

http://collider.com/avengers-infinity-war-movie-title/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Upcoming Superhero Movie Release Dates: From 2016 to 2020:

http://collider.com/upcoming-new-superhe......e-dates/

And, more or less hot off the press, Superman 2 is now in active development:

http://collider.com/man-of-steel-2-director-poll/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Luke Cage (Netflix Series) Official Trailer:

https://youtu.be/ytkjQvSk2VA
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25..37..48..59..70..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL