The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..35~36~37~38~39..48..56..64..72..79~80~81 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I'm watching it today as well. Just finished Luke Cage and liked it a lot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm through episode 6 and do like it.

Always been a fan of Stick.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Two thumbs way up!

Not the Defenders from my youth, but I was never a big fan.

I've always liked Stick also. His morality always seemed to have a necessary practical side.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I was a big fan of 70s Defenders.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This will be WAY different.

I was very surprised, but I really liked it a lot. I figured I would enjoy it but it was very good.

I reserve the right to change my opinion once Rockwall weighs in. I find he has insights often I don't consider at first LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Geez.

I wasn't a big Submariner fan, and it seemed like Marvel was just trying to throw a bunch of B+ characters into a team.
To be fair, I didn't give it real chance back then.

At first I was annoyed that it was only eight episodes, but it was enough. They kept the pace going throughout.

I like Finn a little better as Iron Fist after this, and they did a really good job of explaining the importance of K'un Lun.
They've set themselves up nicely for the next few series.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to say I was a little shocked by the 8 episode format, but to keep that level of "gotta get it done" going for much more might have been a stretch.

All in all not a bad way to spend a couple days. I still wait for Rockwall LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Geez.

I wasn't a big Submariner fan, and it seemed like Marvel was just trying to throw a bunch of B+ characters into a team.
To be fair, I didn't give it real chance back then.

At first I was annoyed that it was only eight episodes, but it was enough. They kept the pace going throughout.

I like Finn a little better as Iron Fist after this, and they did a really good job of explaining the importance of K'un Lun.
They've set themselves up nicely for the next few series.

Submariner wasn't there long. My line up was Dr. Strange, Hulk, Nighthawk and Valkerie.

My favorite arc was the Sons of The Serpent.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Just finished it last night. Thought it was pretty good. Not GREAT but fun to watch. Much better than Iron Fist or even Luke Cage. I still hate Finn Jones as Iron Fist and think he's the weak spot in the lineup. He comes across as a whiny teenager always ready to throw a temper tantrum showing you his "mean" face.

But, the story was good. I really like when a these shows foreshadow stories that we as Marvel fans know about. They did this with Misty Knight and with where Daredevil wakes up.

In the comics, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones marry so it was also nice to see a little bit of a spark there even though Luke Cage is currently in a different romance.

There were some real shocking moments in the series which I liked also.

It's not on a level with the best that TV has to offer, like GOT, Ray Donovan, or when Justified was on, but much better than most Superhero fare on TV.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
So far, no mention of Marvel's Inhumans premiere yesterday. I wonder if anybody attended. Maybe it's because it will be shown on their ABC TV series anyway.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Yikes! I actually meant to go to that but completely forgot about it. Oh well, I'll be sure to watch it on the tube.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In our local IMAX theatre, "Marvel's Inhumans" (TV show pilot) is playing from September 1st to the 7th (maybe longer*). I wasn't able to see it on Friday or Saturday, but I'm hoping to see it in the next couple of days.

So, it wasn't just playing on September 1st only, which is the impression I originally got. Maybe others got that same impression.

The pilot will also be shown on TV on September 29th, and then the series will continue on TV.

*It says on Wikipedia that the theatrical run is supposed to be two weeks. I hadn't noticed that before.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.c......view/amp

The reviews are not good. It seems to be seeinsetting up to be the c duster if the year" if Tee Guardian is to be believed.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
OK, so Marvel dropped the ball on this one. Guess what... They are allowed an occaisional flub, like everybody else.

My wife and I went to the movies this weekend (not comic book related) and saw a poster on the wall for the Justice League movie. She wondered if DC would be able to capitalize on Marvel's misfire.

I don't think the question is relevant. Marvel will still make great movies. I think the issue was that they took a TV pilot and tried to get people to shell out $$ to see it when they will see it for free in three weeks time. My guess is that when I see it as a TV pilot on TV, I will like it just fine.

Kind of like the Fantastic Four movie from teh 1990's that was inserted above. I got to see it when it first was NOT released. I remember thinking that it was a (rappy movie, but would have made a great TV pilot. (btw that film does have its' moments)
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.c......view/amp

The reviews are not good. It seems to be seeinsetting up to be the c duster if the year" if Tee Guardian is to be believed.

I put in all those Siri attacks for Rockwall. This way he knows for certain it is me.

"Seems to be setting up".

"The disaster of the year"

And "The" Guardian.

SO many things to get wrong, so little time for me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2017, Cliffg37 wrote:
OK, so Marvel dropped the ball on this one. Guess what... They are allowed an occaisional flub, like everybody else.

My wife and I went to the movies this weekend (not comic book related) and saw a poster on the wall for the Justice League movie. She wondered if DC would be able to capitalize on Marvel's misfire.

I don't think the question is relevant. Marvel will still make great movies. I think the issue was that they took a TV pilot and tried to get people to shell out $$ to see it when they will see it for free in three weeks time. My guess is that when I see it as a TV pilot on TV, I will like it just fine.

Kind of like the Fantastic Four movie from teh 1990's that was inserted above. I got to see it when it first was NOT released. I remember thinking that it was a (rappy movie, but would have made a great TV pilot. (btw that film does have its' moments)

Will all the holes in the plot mentioned simply vanish when nobody is being charged?

The Justice League movie is made and set for release. There is no way to take advantage of this for them realistically.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think it's more realistic to think that "Thor: Ragnarok" and "Justice League" will be the (rival franchise) movies being compared to one another, for ticket sales & reviews. After all, they are both being released in November 2017, here in North America.

- Donald
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I've been hearing some troubling rumors about Justice League. I'd like to see DC put out another home run like Wonder Woman but I'm worried Justice League may be received more like BVS. (Which did great at the box office despite the bad press.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I enjoyed the W squared movie.

I wonder if it is actor choice? She was a compelling actress and we have few to compare her to. Whereas Batman and Sups have many so we pick and choose favorites. I'm not sure I'm just asking.

I liked Christian Bale as Bats, and was surprised by Afflek pleasantly. Jeremy Irons was a wonderful Allred. I guess we will see how the rest of the League goes over. But The Guardians I thought every casting choice was brilliant. Avengers as well, though a more physically imposing God of Thunder would have been my preference.

I have always enjoyed the Justice League. Hopefully they will go over well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously on the thread, but it relates to "Justice League".

From Wikipedia...

Quote:
Principal photography commenced in April 2016 and ended in October 2016. Snyder left the project in May 2017, following the death of his daughter, with Joss Whedon supervising post-production, as well as working on additional scenes and re-shoots.

So, one has to wonder if the change of director, and the additional scenes and re-shoots, will make it a different movie. Some people like Joss Whedon superhero movies more than Zack Snider superhero movies (or vice versa).

BTW, as I understand it (from articles I read online), Zack Snider still gets credit for writing and directing the movie, and it seems like he did the lions share of the work. It's more like Joss Whedon did some fine tuning / clean-up on the project.

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..35~36~37~38~39..48..56..64..72..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL