The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..36~37~38~39~40..49..57..65..73..79~80~81 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Taking the thread off in a weird direction, Warner Bros has just done a limited run of merging two of their properties together; DC comics and (I'm not kidding here) Loony Toons!
One has Superman running into Bugs Bunny with the help of Mr. Myxtptlyx. Another has Wonder Woman with the Tasmanian Devil (don't know how that one works out). The one I did read is Batman going up against a hit man Elmer Fudd! All the characters here are human, but they hang out at a dive called "Porky's" and all the low life's will be recognizable by there catch phrases.

Having read this, my kid said; "OK, Disney owns Marvel, ball's in their court!" Leaving us with the image of a Donald Duck/Howard team up!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Thanks for a good laugh Ed, I had never heard of this before.

Click here to view attached image.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
OK, found it online. Really hysterical. Second half is cute I suppose, Batman in the looney tunes world. First half is really a great story. The looney tunes characters in Batman's world; dark and gritty. Hitman Elmer,bartender Porkey, Sleezy guy Bugs, etc. Worth reading for sure. The writers probably had a great time seriously writing all the characters speech impediments and styles of speaking which match perfectly.
Magic is like Science,
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Most of the Batman villains belongs in Loony Toons anyway!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Along those lines, does anybody Else remember the DC issue where Captain Marvel found himself in a parallel universe populated by funny animals who also happened to be superheroes? I vaguely remember a funny animal hero called Marvel Bunny. I of course know of Earths one and two and three, but I don't know what parallel earth that was. In that story, it was clearly established that there is a parallel universe populated by funny animals who are sentient.

Incidentally,I think that rather than Superman and Wonder Woman, it would have been better if it was Plastic Man who encountered Bugs Bunny because Plastic Man is already in the scatterbrain vein. To go even one step further, I would think that Plastic Man is an indigenous inhabitant of that Looney Tunes universe.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Orville, Are you thinking of Superman visiting Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew? What you're describing sounds more like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Carrot
Magic is like Science,
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Thanks to Cliff and Rockwall for answering my question. Yes, I remember Both of those Rabbits but now I'm not sure which one I saw. Captain Carrot resides on Earth-C, but on which Earth does Marvel Bunny reside? I'm guessing that it's Earth-S,the same parallel Earth as Captain Marvel because Captain Marvel's world includes a Talking Tiger which is an anthropomorphized form of a tiger. In Captain Carrot's case, the funny animals exist on a separate-Earth than humans, whereas in Captain Marvel's case, funny animals and humans co-exist on the same Earth.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2017, Orville Smith wrote:
Thanks to Cliff and Rockwall for answering my question. Yes, I remember Both of those Rabbits but now I'm not sure which one I saw. Captain Carrot resides on Earth-C, but on which Earth does Marvel Bunny reside? I'm guessing that it's Earth-S,the same parallel Earth as Captain Marvel because Captain Marvel's world includes a Talking Tiger which is an anthropomorphized form of a tiger. In Captain Carrot's case, the funny animals exist on a separate-Earth than humans, whereas in Captain Marvel's case, funny animals and humans co-exist on the same Earth.

Apparently, the comic reality is playing with us;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoppy_the_Marvel_Bunny

Hoppy the Marvel Bunny apparently lived in an animal based world and was a fan of Captain Marvel. The article doesn't state if Captain Marvel was IN Hoppy's world or if Hoppy was a fan of the comic book. (Which leads us to wonder why an animal based reality would have comic books about humans!)

However, as DC Comics now own Fawcett's entire library, Hoppy the Marvel Bunny has shown up in Captain Marvel stories.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
There were rumors that they would make a "Shazam" film with Dwayne "Don't Call Me "The Rock," "The Rock"" Johnson as Black Adam. (For those of you not in the know, Adam Ho Tepp was an Egyptain to whom Shazam FIRST gave the powers to. He became corrupted by the power and although Shazam could not remove the powers from he banished him to the farthest corner of space. Flying for 5,000 years, he made his way back!)

Now, looking at Dwayne Johnson's IMDB page;

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425005/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I don't see a reference for the "Shazam" film, but I DO see that a "Black Adam" film has been announced! Maybe they want to show Adam's fall from grace before giving us his return, but it seems odd that the "Shazam" picture isn't even mentioned.

On a side track. He's also been announced for a "Doc Savage" film, which would be awesome.
Anything would be better than this;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072886/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I saw this film at a convention and the best I could say about it was "meh." It was so bland, it made the Adam West "Batman" film look like high drama.

The only questionable thing I would have would be that I hope they can properly cover up Dwayne's body tattoos. I don't see Doc having those.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
There were rumors that they would make a "Shazam" film with Dwayne "Don't Call Me "The Rock," "The Rock"" Johnson as Black Adam. (For those of you not in the know, Adam Ho Tepp was an Egyptain to whom Shazam FIRST gave the powers to. He became corrupted by the power and although Shazam could not remove the powers from he banished him to the farthest corner of space. Flying for 5,000 years, he made his way back!)

Now, looking at Dwayne Johnson's IMDB page;

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425005/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I don't see a reference for the "Shazam" film, but I DO see that a "Black Adam" film has been announced! Maybe they want to show Adam's fall from grace before giving us his return, but it seems odd that the "Shazam" picture isn't even mentioned.

Hi Ed -

Explained on Wikipedia, with links to online articles / sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Ma......on_films

Quote:
In January 2017, DC and New Line Cinema announced that the Shazam! film would be developed as two films rather than one, adding a Black Adam solo film which will also star Dwayne Johnson to its development schedule. As a result, neither Johnson nor Black Adam will appear in the first Shazam! movie set to begin production in 2018.

Also see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extende......82019.29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extende......dam_film

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Ah! Thanks.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
The only questionable thing I would have would be that I hope they can properly cover up Dwayne's body tattoos. I don't see Doc having those.

Never knew that about Dwayne's tattoos but it reminded me that when Sean Connery portrayed O07, they had to cover up two tattoos on his right arm.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Just the other day, Hugh Hefner passed away. Now you're obviously wondering--why in blazes is Hefner mentioned in a comic book thread? The reason is because Hefner's magazine used to include the work of a very famous comic book artist. His name-- Jack Cole. For Hefner's magazine, Mr. Cole used to do the comic strip, Little Annie Fanny. But Mr. Cole is known most notably for the creation of the superhero, Plastic Man.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2017, Orville Smith wrote:
Quote:

Never knew that about Dwayne's tattoos but it reminded me that when Sean Connery portrayed O07, they had to cover up two tattoos on his right arm.

I knew "Scotland Forever," but I didn't know there was a second one or what it said.

Having said that, Sean's tattoos were nothing compared to what Dwayne is sporting;

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dwa......CEC20CD8
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2017, Orville Smith wrote:
Quote:

I knew "Scotland Forever," but I didn't know there was a second one or what it said.

Having said that, Sean's tattoos were nothing compared to what Dwayne is sporting;

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dwa......CEC20CD8

While you're at it about Dwayne, it should delight you to know that Dwayne has been picked to play the role of Black Adam in DC's upcoming Captain Marvel movie. I don't know if Dwayne has actually signed up yet, but I think he's an excellent casting choice. I remember watching back in the 1970s a Saturday Morning series of Captain Marvel called "Shazam." It was even in live action, which was surprising for a Saturday morning series. Most likely, Ed remembers that one. That series was alright but I think the best adaptation was that of the old-time serial of Captain Marvel. If you ask me, I think it was even better than the Superman serial because whenever Superman was shown flying, he was shown as a cartoon figure. But in the Captain Marvel serial they showed the actor Tom Tyler himself actually in flight.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I believe what they somehow managed to do was hook Tyler up to a zip line. (such as they were back in the day) At least, if you look at some of those serials today, that is what it appears to be. Anyone remeber George Reeves insisting on the tech people finding a new way to make him fly after he fell off of the rig they used to make Superman fly in the 1950's TV show?
Magic is like Science,
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Now that Cliff mentioned George Reeves, it made me wonder again about Reeves' suspicious demise. Although the Coroner concluded that it was a suicide, many still believe that it was instead a hit. Wasn't it something to do with the suspiciousness of the gunpowder residue?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am not really comfortable speculating on Mr. Reeves and his untimely death. It happened a year and a half before my birth, so celary I was not there to comment.

The one mjor piece in favor of suicide that I heard was Noel Neil, who said shortly before his death he was depressed that no one would take him seriously as an actor.

Remember two things he did that he hated because he could not get work as an actor. One was being shot out of a cannon in costume, the other was professional wrestling, again in costume.

Got to feel bad for the fellow.
Magic is like Science,
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Early reviews for Thor Ragnarok are in and some are calling it possibly the best MCU movie so far and certainly the funniest. There are tons of movie clips of it out to the point that I'm worried they are giving too much away but here's what I think what was the latest full trailer and also the newest trailer for Black Panther.

I think Marvel continues to give DC a run for the money.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..36~37~38~39~40..49..57..65..73..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL