We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Head Chopper (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I have been using the Head Chopper as my closer in my Gospel presentation for several years (using a Duane Laflin presentation). However, since the current state of things going on in the Middle East with ISIS, I have decided to remove it from our show.

What are your thoughts?

Mark
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
I have killed more topics with my
5553 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Mark!

Good call. The reality of it makes me sick.

Doug
Jeffini
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
49 Posts

Profile of Jeffini
I agree. I just purchased a kid-friendly head chopper from smokey mountain magic for my school assembly shows... It has a lion in which someone places their head. Then this disgusting mess began and it will have to sit in the closet for a while.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
United Kingdom
1477 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
It is my belief that all illusions involving anything pertaining to the torture of another human being should no longer be performed. This includes all the classics: Sawing in Half, Zig-Zag, Wrist Chopper etc. Stick to levitations and sub trunks!! I also wish they would ban some of the grotesque Halloween masks for kids. The message of Jesus was one of love, peace and joy. Let us try and spread that positive message wherever possible. JR
http://www.comicmagician.com/page_childrens_products.html
http://www.SpiritualStage.com
http://www.ComicMagic.com
wwhokie1
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, Jolly Roger wrote:
It is my belief that all illusions involving anything pertaining to the torture of another human being should no longer be performed. This includes all the classics: Sawing in Half, Zig-Zag, Wrist Chopper etc. Stick to levitations and sub trunks!! I also wish they would ban some of the grotesque Halloween masks for kids. The message of Jesus was one of love, peace and joy. Let us try and spread that positive message wherever possible. JR


I mostly agree. Although items such as Zig Zag don't bother me because they don't seem so violent, its more like body parts are being relocated instead of being violently chopped off or sawing in half. I can do without dismemberment magic, and violent magic. Too much violence in the world. I see my magic as a means of helping people escape momentarily from the craziness of the world to a fun and magical environment. I don't want reminders of the problems we are escaping from.

I have seen performances of the head chopper that was very entertaining, and funny. But even then there was an uneasy element for me that seemed inappropriate. It is a gruesome concept even as a magic trick. Some people like that element and it works well for the image they want. It just doesn't work for me. Maybe I am out of touch with the part of society that enjoys the "Saw" movies and similar movies, and takes their 4 year old kids to see such movies. That is something I will gladly be out of touch with.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
United Kingdom
1477 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, wwhokie1 wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, Jolly Roger wrote:
It is my belief that all illusions involving anything pertaining to the torture of another human being should no longer be performed. This includes all the classics: Sawing in Half, Zig-Zag, Wrist Chopper etc. Stick to levitations and sub trunks!! I also wish they would ban some of the grotesque Halloween masks for kids. The message of Jesus was one of love, peace and joy. Let us try and spread that positive message wherever possible. JR


I mostly agree. Although items such as Zig Zag don't bother me because they don't seem so violent, its more like body parts are being relocated instead of being violently chopped off or sawing in half. I can do without dismemberment magic, and violent magic. Too much violence in the world. I see my magic as a means of helping people escape momentarily from the craziness of the world to a fun and magical environment. I don't want reminders of the problems we are escaping from.

I have seen performances of the head chopper that was very entertaining, and funny. But even then there was an uneasy element for me that seemed inappropriate. It is a gruesome concept even as a magic trick. Some people like that element and it works well for the image they want. It just doesn't work for me. Maybe I am out of touch with the part of society that enjoys the "Saw" movies and similar movies, and takes their 4 year old kids to see such movies. That is something I will gladly be out of touch with.


It all needs to go.............everything pertaining to violence, dismemberment, moving body parts around after blades have supposedly penetrated, all of it IMHO. We as performers also have responsibilities to the world. We are light workers. There is so much violence in the world, that we have a responsibility to carry messages of love and peace, and naturally good humour to our audiences! JR
http://www.comicmagician.com/page_childrens_products.html
http://www.SpiritualStage.com
http://www.ComicMagic.com
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1151 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Removing head choppers from shows in Churches is a good call. At the moment, the concept is too aweful for many Congregations and MAGICIANS to perform.

Truely comic versions are few and far between; with even fewer magicians talented enough to use a head chopper appropriately. Most distract from any Gospel message we intend to give. They are played for an impact of "how gross" and look how clever I am.

Only two Gospel magicians in the UK have a Sawing in half illusion. We always think hard about whether to use it ... Or another illusion. Interestingly, a newspaper tear seems to get a better reaction from audiences. It's magic to them.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Summer and Autumn 2013.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
The Bay Area of California
2735 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
What can I say?

It even gets weirder after the three year old girl places a basket under the head of the young boy to catch his head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2NEZyZcFfI
The children's magic party and magic class, where

Howie Didit performs the tricks and then teaches the kids "Howie Didit".

Ventriloquist & Children’s Magician. My lips are not moving and there are all kinds of tricks up my sleeves

Creator of the RING-A-Ding Gumball Machine, available through your favorite magic dealer that buys from Murphy’s Magic

The west coast dealer for Jeff Jones's Magic backdrops
wwhokie1
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Guess there is a reason some equipment cost twice as much as others. You pay for it to work all the time instead of 99% of the time. That extra 1% can be quite embarrassing.

He deserves the embarrassment for putting such young kids into a head chopper routine. What was he thinking???
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
7534 Posts

Profile of harris
LOL

It's always funnier when it happens to someone else.

I used to borrow a large one for my shows.

Early in my career, I had a OOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS moment,

When there were one at the top and one at the bottom.

My novice self, handled things a bit different back then.

We all have choices,

I don't even use my horse syringe through arm illusion any more.

A teenager told me a couple of years after a show, that she had nightmares for 3 days.


love and prayers
Harris
trying not to judge people whose sins are different than my own
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
6565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Lately, I've been thinking about stage illusions for a one-man Magic and Illusion Show for a family audience.


Here are some that I've thought about (some I own, and some I don't own).

- Chair Suspension, or Super-X Suspension, or Blaney Suspension 3001
- Wiz Kote (burnt shoe), or other versions (OOPS Machine, Dirt Eradicator, Sneaker Tweaker, S.N.A.F.U., etc.)
- Thru Steel (Smoky Mountain)
- Instant Fantasy Magician Stand (Smoky Mountain), with Fantasy Magic Costume Prop
- This End Up (Smoky Mountain)
- Stocks Escape (Fairchild Magic), or Stocks of Zanzibar (Abbotts)
- Cross Escape (Fairchild Magic)
- Balloon Sword Box (Fairchild Magic)
- Walking Thru a Brick Wall (Fairchild Magic)
- Tri-section Illusion (Wellington)
- Boy to Rabbit (Abbotts or Sommers)
- Floating Table (Losander)
- The Web (Lance Richardson)


Some that may be "on the line" nowadays for a family show:

- Guillotine, or Head Chopper, or Lion Tamer Head Chopper Illusion
- Bow saw Sawing Illusion
- Jig Saw Sawing Illusion
- Audience Acupuncture Illusion (invented by Jim Steinmeyer)
- Audience Dis-member Illusion (invented by Jim Steinmeyer, built by Bill Smith's Magic Ventures)
- Dagger Head Chest Illusion


- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
United Kingdom
1477 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Donald......why would you dismiss my COI? It has an incredible effect on the audience, is cheap to make, and is truly magical with no elements of torture!! Smile JR
http://www.comicmagician.com/page_childrens_products.html
http://www.SpiritualStage.com
http://www.ComicMagic.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
6565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Ah, I was wondering when you'd chime in with your own list featuring your own products, JR. Smile

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4532 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2014, Jolly Roger wrote:

. . . and is truly magical with no elements of torture!! Smile

JR



Well that depends on who you're watching perform it Smile

You can't put a straight line like that out there and not expect me to pick it up Smile
I contend that we are both atheists.
I just believe in one fewer god than you do.

http://masterpaynemagic.com
Need a Corset in Seattle? http://fittingroomcorsets.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
7534 Posts

Profile of harris
I remember back in my early days of performing I heard a patron coming back from the bathroom quip, is he still on.

I have improved a bit and not so torturous (is that a word) to my audiences.
Someone once said, If we can't laugh at ourselves, someone will beat us to it.

Harris
remembering why I am a counselor and don't teach high school english!
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
building a horse pen and needs
2625 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Many years ago, I made the conscious decision NOT to use swords, fire, knives, guns, etc in my show (two exceptions---I use a knife for the card-in-orange effect, and I use fire when I do the floating rose)...but neither of these involve any perceived potential harm.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: Fellowship of Christian Magicians, KIDabra International
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
7534 Posts

Profile of harris
I gave up fire juggling and eating years ago.

I do eat food, just not fire.
Actually I'm on 2 diets
One is not enough.

Harris.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
United Kingdom
1477 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2014, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2014, Jolly Roger wrote:

. . . and is truly magical with no elements of torture!! Smile

JR



Well that depends on who you're watching perform it Smile

You can't put a straight line like that out there and not expect me to pick it up Smile

That's funny Payne!!!! Smile JR
http://www.comicmagician.com/page_childrens_products.html
http://www.SpiritualStage.com
http://www.ComicMagic.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
The Bay Area of California
2735 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I don't perform with fire because my insurance policy excludes it; my insurance policy does not exclude sawing a child in half so I perform it.

I give the audience what they want, and the older kids get all excited and want to be chopped in half; as soon a kid asks if I will chop them in half and mom continues to smile, I go to my magic bus to get the trick; I don’t perform it unless asked and the parents are OK with it, and I don’t perform it for younger kid’s shows.

Like every trick performed, it’s not the trick, it’s the presentation. I start the routine off by telling the audience a ridiculous statement and then it’s all fun and patter.

The trick is 100% safe; and performed with no mention of torture, blood, gore and no scary patter.
The children's magic party and magic class, where

Howie Didit performs the tricks and then teaches the kids "Howie Didit".

Ventriloquist & Children’s Magician. My lips are not moving and there are all kinds of tricks up my sleeves

Creator of the RING-A-Ding Gumball Machine, available through your favorite magic dealer that buys from Murphy’s Magic

The west coast dealer for Jeff Jones's Magic backdrops
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Head Chopper (1 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.199822 seconds, requiring 74 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [6] [7] [5] [8] [9] [9] [5]