We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Asi Wind (and David Blaine) Mnemonicosis over the phone (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
danielvanm
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
69 Posts

Profile of danielvanm
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2014, MagicKingdom10 wrote:
Since this thread is about Asi's ACAAN, I want to share my experiences while performing the AACAAN on a friend.

Getting right to the important details, I asked him for a number and he gave me "43". I then requested for him to name any card and he said "ACE of Clubs". I was overjoyed because it happens to exactly match the position of the card in my memdeck (I was using the mnemonica).

This means I could just hand over the cards to him whilst they are still in the cardbox! This was one of those rare opportunities where your luck allows you to perform a "real miracle" Smile I was very excited but he was totally skeptical. The fact that I didn't touch or watch the cards in the box at all made him doubt that any sleight could have occurred. I had made a deck switch prior to the beginning of this trick and had given him the impression that the cards were randomly shuffled. The Tamariz stack looks very random thus helped to preserve this illusion.

I LOVE it when this happens! Too bad there was a confusion though Smile

As my friend dealt the cards face up on the table counting them, I just sat back, thanked the heavens, and waited for the climax.

It never came. There was yet a sinister twist to this tale. On the 33rd count he exclaimed that his card had appeared! It was the Eight of Clubs. I was appalled. I told him I heard him saying "Ace of Clubs" rather than "Eight of Clubs. Since this was supposed to be a mind reading effect the excuse was a complete joke Smile

Probably out of curiosity he continued counting the cards. Thankfully when he finally turned over the 43rd card and discovered the Ace of Clubs he was still amazed by it. I find this experience humorous because it is not common that a performer could mess up an effect so badly and yet be able to impress the audience despite his gaffe.
- Daniel

"Astonishment is our natural state of mind"

danielvanm
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
69 Posts

Profile of danielvanm
Hi guys,

Here is David Blaine performing A.A.C.A.A.N with Asi Wind himself standing behind him, these videos are always a treat Smile When I saw this video I noticed David Blaine asked for a number near the card (not literally but when you say "up to" the odds are that they will come close to it) , this is a great idea, not only it's easier to do the math, but the odds are greater that they say the correct number. To me this is great, because I HATE the math to be honest.. I know a lot of you will say that the effect becomes less stronger and I agree with you, but.. with the time misdirection you can always say: "You could've named any card and any number" and most of the time they will forget about the "limited" choice. Tell me what you guys think! Smile And enjoy the vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JjVnaRHcjk
- Daniel

danielvanm
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
69 Posts

Profile of danielvanm
Quote:

And somewhere in Youtube land there is some video of Asi doing the more common two-step out, where the spec gets close with a cut, and then choses a small number that brings him to the card.

Les

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fquP1r6l-js Smile
- Daniel

ArchieMagic
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of ArchieMagic
What do we think about doing this with the phone on stage?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2157 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Asi is just prepared for whatever the situation. He's done it so much that nothing catches him off-guard. It reminds me about the time I saw Doc Eason perform Sam the Bellhop after his cards got out of order. It was so funny to watch him makeup the patter.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Asi Wind (and David Blaine) Mnemonicosis over the phone (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL