The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Flourishes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
trulymagic
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of trulymagic
Hey,
I was wondering if you guys could tell me where to learn some flourishes for not too much money. Also while we are talking about flourishes what one is your favorite. I would have to say mine is the Cobra Cut. I only wish I could do it.
catbertek
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of catbertek
There is a great book dedicated to only flourishes
called "The Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes" by
Jerry Cestkowski (The Flourishman).

It is a great book with a TON of things for you
to learn and practice- all flourishes.

De'vo (Cobra Cut) has several video resources
that teach flourishes as you noted.

check out the forum "Pasteboards" here at the Café too.

Good luck and have fun!
Caruthias
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Ontario
67 Posts

Profile of Caruthias
Jerry's Encyclopedia is currently out... but he's making a second edition which should be released in the coming months.

De'vo's Cradle To Grave DVD teaches some nice flourishes... and so does some of Brian Tudor's stuff.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
There is a video out marketed only by the producer called "Victory Magic presents Card Flourishes" by Paul Tejera. It is a very informative video dedicated to what you are looking for. I learned the one handed
riffle shuffle from it. The web address is
http://www.VictoryMagic.com This will help. It's not of L&L quality but it gets the job done.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Black Magic
View Profile
New user
New Orleans, La
87 Posts

Profile of Black Magic
HandLordz.com has a few teaching clips
shahin
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of shahin
Devo is brilliant, but I don´t think Devo is a good starting point to learn flourishes.I would probably go for the encyclopedia or basic florish/manipulation Dvds like the Jeff Mc Bride "Art of Card Manipulation" Vol.1.

Shahin
Texas Worker
View Profile
New user
Kerrville Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Texas Worker
Please remember that flouishes are great but if they have nothing to with the trick. Then it can turn off your audience. With that aside I do several to warm up with before my show.
porcupine
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of porcupine
De'vo's Cradle to the Grave
Brian Tudor's Show Off 1 and 2
Brian Tudor's Generation X
Pastebaord Animations / Buck Twins
Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes

Cheers
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” - Albert Einstein
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Brain Tudor's Videos, Cradle to the Grave and Jeff McBride's videos.
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
I think the Jeff McBride videos are great value for the money, especially for the beginner.

As a side note: I just got the Cradle to Grave video and was very disappointed. I got what was advertised but I felt like there should have been more for my $50.
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Oh ya I forgot to mentioned, you don't HAVE to do this but it will save you money.

Don't get McBride AOCM volume one, just learn everything that is there from outtasightmagic and e-magictrick.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Sk8rDave wrote:

"As a side note: I just got the Cradle to Grave video and was very disappointed. I got what was advertised but I felt like there should have been more for my $50. "

I completely agree with you! I was (am) also disappointed.

Frankly, I have a hard time understanding the legion of followers this guy is having.
(he could start a 'religious guild' and they would worship him like a God! Oh wait, some people are already doing that!!!)

Just my 2 cents.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
Man, oh man. You guys just don't understand do you? Well, De' is certainly a master in his art. Notice the "HIS" art, not "OUR" art. This "guy" has a legion of followers, and "worshippers" because he definitely deserves it.
And, if your one of those guys that thinks that Flourishes are NOT for making money from, or working with like magic, you don't know De'. He gets paid about twice as much as Jeff McBride does, (According to my records) per show. And that's saying A LOT. Smile

And if you didn't feel you got what you paid for, then you are obviously uncapable of absorbing such AMAZING knowledge.
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I wouldn't go so far as to say they aren't capable of absorbing knowledge. Unless you personally know them, I wouldn't make rash statements like that. As a magician, flourishes can sometimes weigh down an effect.

In my opinion, what De'vo and other great flourishers do is more like juggling. I am in awe of what they do, but that doesn't mean I am going to try to incorporate a Cobra Cut into my walk around. Through my experiences I have learned that too often people buy into all the hype and are disappointed with the end result.

As Sherlock Holmes once said, "It would be foolish of me to formulate a hypothesis with out all the facts." Long story short, don't get your hopes up until you see what you have to work with. It won't be as big of a let down that way.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
Exactly Dark! These guys are buying flourish artists work looking for a double lift!LOL De'vo's material is pure gold for the FLOURISHER/cross artist. People like those are the main reason he didn't want to release it in the first place.

That sk8terdave dude has bashed De'vo in about 7 threads probably because he was kicked out of his forum. lol it's all personal. Besides, if you want to listen to someone, I would listen to Jeff McBride himself, or Daryl, or Peter Duffie, or T.G. Murphy, people I actually respect and who know what they are talking about.

Each one of these experts officially endorsed De'vo's CTG DVD and RAVED about it! These are masters and artists who understand De'vo's masterpiece work. You don't like it, good.

His art is not magic or little red balls, it's the art of flourishes and teaching, of which he is one of the best.

His DVD is the BEST flourish DVD on the market, and the ONLY endorsed by McBride, Daryl, Peter Duffie, TG Murphy, Jerry Cestkowski and all the other pros. The ONLY that offers private instruction on a forum for long term! The ONLY that offers continous bonuses, the ONLY that has original techno, The ONLY that teaches in a way that you can actually understand, the ONLY that gives away free flourish teaching material, cards, and other bonuses,and all of that for such a cheap price.
AlphaWorldz
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of AlphaWorldz
Okay hold up, what's wrong with have a "cult" "worship"? Let me ask you, do you go to school trying to make an A calling it a cult/worship of the school? Is De'vo trying to master his art and finished the Ulmen4 trials not different than you going to school trying to make an A so that you can go to some university like Yale/Harvard, which none of you might.

And xander, there's no need to incorporate Flourish into your magic, they all could be by itself.

De'vo is just trying to spread his art, let people know that there more than cuts, and find a card, I'll find yours type of thing with cards. And what do you define as juggling? Throwings Balls? Spinning Billards balls? I don't see how that would be same as Flourish.

Flourish entitles most of cards related stuffs. Do you called Charlier Cut, a juggling move? it's a flourish! Do you called a Cobra Cut a juggling? or might even better, hot shot? a flourish merge with magic, or magic merge with flourish however you put it, I don't think those called juggling, and one thing for sure is that, know how to do more flourish will not get you a bad names!

And those that think $50 is not worthy of the DVD, what do you expect? Hey you get what is exactly advertised, more than most magic DVD producers, which give you an extensive list of INCREDIBLE tricks, which came out maybe 1 of the trick is worthy. So if you got what you wanted with your 50 dollars, be happy at it.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Alpha, notice I said what De'vo does. His type of flourishing is like juggling. Packets of cards flying all over the place, obviously very dexterous. The type of flourishing I was referring to in magic are more reserved types, false cuts and things that aren't as hard to execute. I never said that his type didn't have a place in magic, nor did I say that he could never earn money that way.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Jonathan R
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Jonathan R
Any of the following should put you in the right direction:

Dan and Dave Buck
Ashford Kneitel
Joey Burton
Troy Hooser
Lee Asher
Brian Tudor
De'vo

Good luck
Smile
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
I don't think De'vo's flourishes are juggling.lol fans, cuts, flipback vanish. No more juggling than backpalming.lol
SEVEN
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of SEVEN
Xander DraX, do a thumb fan...hold it to your face and ask yourself "IS THIS JUGGLING?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Flourishes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL