The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Aviators have one-way design (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I like Aviators, though I know they aren't everyone's main choice. I like the feel, the thickness, and the smooth surface. Not suitable for cardistry and flourishing, but the serve me well when I use them, and since I don't do anything that requires high-precision finger flinging they pose me not issues. Also, I find the printing bright and crisp, and it seems to stay so long after the cards are broken in, so I use each deck longer since they continue to look good. Moreover, I have found a fairly cheap source, so I have stocked up on piles of them.

I have noticed today that there is really a noticeable difference in the drawing of certain little rosettes near the upper left and lower right corners. The difference is quite noticeable if you look for it, and is, in my opinion, much easier to discern than the more subtle differences well known on Tally Ho Circles.

My first choice for one way effects will be the ingeniously designed Phoenix, but I thought this little discovery about Aviators would be of interest to those who care and didn't already know about it.

Les
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
Who knew! Just checked it out and it's there but can't see it without my reading glasses. The Bicycle Pluma deck has a very obvious one way design that flies past most observers. Maybe we need a thread on unintended gaff decks;-)
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I better dig out my old Aves..

seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
I haven't been able to spot it yet, but I'll second your enthusiasm for Aviators. Their thinness makes them a tad more prone to warping, but I really like the way they handle.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
I can see this information coming in really handy in the future . I can see myself borrowing / buying aviator and performing many one way effect right in front of the spectators eye . I can even see this being a magician fooler since it isn't as known.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, seraph127 wrote:
I haven't been able to spot it yet.

Examine the border of circles about a centimetre in from the edges of the card. Each circle contain a flower symbol thing--four little circles joined by little lines. Go to the circle at the top left of the border, and look closely at the circle just beneath the corner circle. (I am assuming your are holding the card as you would in mechanic's grip, in portrait orientation, so up and down is parallel to the long side and left to right is parallel to the short.) Examine the flower. Now revolve the card 180 degrees and examine said circle's mate near the diagonally opposite corner of the card. You should notice that the flower symbol looks quite different--one flower looks a bit more symmetrical, while the other looks a bit compressed, narrower than it is tall, with its little upper left circle squished over a bit so it is somewhat closer to the upper right little circle and somewhat farther away from the lower left little circle.

With a good eye and corrected near vision I think it is noticeable enough to be useful. It may be too subtle for others, though.

Les
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, seraph127 wrote:
I haven't been able to spot it yet.

Examine the border of circles about a centimetre in from the edges of the card. Each circle contain a flower symbol thing--four little circles joined by little lines. Go to the circle at the top left of the border, and look closely at the circle just beneath the corner circle. (I am assuming your are holding the card as you would in mechanic's grip, in portrait orientation, so up and down is parallel to the long side and left to right is parallel to the short.) Examine the flower. Now revolve the card 180 degrees and examine said circle's mate near the diagonally opposite corner of the card. You should notice that the flower symbol looks quite different--one flower looks a bit more symmetrical, while the other looks a bit compressed, narrower than it is tall, with its little upper left circle squished over a bit so it is somewhat closer to the upper right little circle and somewhat farther away from the lower left little circle.

With a good eye and corrected near vision I think it is noticeable enough to be useful. It may be too subtle for others, though.

Les

I see it now. It's pretty squinty, but if you have leisure (or cover) to examine the cards, there's some potential here.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
Examine the border of circles about a centimeter . . . somewhat farther away from the lower left little circle.

Good explanation.

As usual in this cases, once you know it is "obvious".

Thanks for sharing
So much to do, so little time . . .
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Many many thanks. I too like the Avs
Richard Doyle
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
125 Posts

Profile of Richard Doyle
Phoenix cards are one way on the backs and face. Very obvious if you know where to look. I won't disclose but there is a video on there site that will explain what to look for.
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2014, Richard Doyle wrote:
Phoenix cards are one way on the backs and face. Very obvious if you know where to look. I won't disclose but there is a video on there site that will explain what to look for.

Yes, but they are designed that way purposefully. The question I have is whether the design feature in the Aviators is intentional or just a defect in design workmanship.
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2014, LesL wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2014, Richard Doyle wrote:

Yes, but they are designed that way purposefully. The question I have is whether the design feature in the Aviators is intentional or just a defect in design workmanship.

Defect would be my guess.
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
That would be my guess too although it begs the question why these defects don't appear in other classic Bicycle back designs and why it has persisted for so many years without correction. A Google search turned up only a quote about bridge sized Aviators having a one way back. So, nice catch Les.
SittinDuK
View Profile
New user
Greenville, SC
18 Posts

Profile of SittinDuK
I have a real fondness for one way backs and this post made me go dig out the random deck of Aviators I have, that one way marking to me seems to go all the way across the row.
DaVinci
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of DaVinci
Interesting finding, thx for sharing.
What I also find interesting is, that I often hear that some consider Aviators as thin cards and that they tend to warp. I rather agree with the thread opener that Avs are rather thick and longlasting. Those different impressions indicate Aviators are printed on different stocks maybe? Anyone knows more?
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Resurrecting this old thread for another note on Pluma backs. I am not a card guy in general, but when I spotted these in my local Walgreens the first thing that jumped out at me was the arrangement of the decorative motif in the center top/bottom. I count exactly thirteen "plumes" with exactly four "dots" beneath the center fan. Screams easy marked deck to me . . . bought a pack for just that reason.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Magic Castle cards are one way. Can you tell?
superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
I Just noticed this right before I saw this post!
superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
I don't know why so many people are opposed to one way back designs now-a-days.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Aviators have one-way design (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL