The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Safety Pins (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I recently bought Dreamweaver and it's pretty cool. But I've heard about a different version with a gaffed pin with a space in the metal, similar to a linking ring ring. Does anyone know what this is called and where I can find it?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Sounds like the Slydini Linking Pins, but I don't know where you can find them.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The original, sadly ripped off by many, is Jerry Andrus' Linking Pins. Slydini routine was without a gaffed pin, just a clever handling.

Jerry's works better than a linking ring type gaff, as it cannot be seen.

Check the major dealers, you may still be able to get them... and ask for Andrus' not a copy.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pete,

I must differ with you, the trick he is asking about is "piff Paff Poof Outdone", DeVoe Magic put out 30 or 40 years ago.

Also, in Harry Lorrayne's magazine, they published a Slydini routine with gaff pin. Later, put out by a dealer. It was a little different then Andrus gimmick.

The trick is no longer available. I don't know if Andrus is selling his pins any longer. He use to sell a compete set of pins with every gaff you could think of.

I have all to Andrus material.

Bill
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

The Slydini Pins that were marketed had a gap or "space in the metal" as dave2lift mentions. The Andrus pins were better in my opinion. I have both.

Larry D.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Dreamweaver isn't of that family. It's more related with the Dan Garett stuff, with a little "more"...

Jonathan.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Gaetan Bloom also marketed a version, but the European pins were "strange" looking to those of us here in the Colonies...

Wasn't Pif Paf Poof a "bluff" link? And the Slydini Gold Pins the same??
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

The Slydini Pins actually include a "key" pin, the same as a key ring found in linking rings.

I'm not sure about Pif Paf Poof but I thought that was a method for linking two ungimmicked pins by essentially putting one closed pin through another closed pin (unlinked at this point), holding one pin by its "tail" with one hand and the other pin by its tail with the other hand, and then pulling the hands in an outward direction so the heads come together and one of the pins quickly opens at the head side and closes again causing the link.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pete, I have not pulled the items out of my equipment, but I do believe they are similiar.

The "Outdone" is a third gimmicked Safety Pin that was included in the instructions.

The problem I have always has is finding the large 3" pins in stores.

Larry, is correct on the basic old pin penetration trick which sold for $.50. Then the newer verison and extra pin was released.

Bill
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
So no one knows where to find the Jerry Andrus version? Perhaps someone has the set for sale......?
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
A brilliant routine with safety pins is David Harkey's, called "Point of No Return." Don't tell anyone.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
cat26
View Profile
Regular user
Manitoba, Canada
101 Posts

Profile of cat26
David Harkey's "Point of No Return" is a variation/additional use of Jerry Andrus' Linking Pins gimmick. He uses the gimmick in a different way to link to business cards. This is an excellent presentation in a corporate/business setting which gets your business cards into play. A point of observation (no pun intended) is to not make the pin routine too lengthy, which does tend to make it more of a puzzle rather than a great visual effect.

Oh... by the way... does anyone have a source for the 3 inch silver pins that you can purchase by the gross.

Cheers...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dave2lift,

Walk over to Magic Inc., they probably have all the Andrus stuff. He always lectures there.

If Jay Marshall is in ask him, he knows everthing.

Bill
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Pif paf poof is a (quite easy) move to UN-link two regular pins that are linked together.

The Slydini and Andrus's pins are working with the same principle: but, as mentioned, the "key" stuff is not made in exactly the same way.

There are sometimes some sets of Andrus's pins to sell in second hand sales. I think they are no longer available (anyway, in the places I looked for them.)

I am personally more Garrett-pins-oriented, and so I am happy to have seen Dreaweaver come up, as it adds to this same principle a little "extra" with a stunning penetration.

But, thinking about it, I realise that this little extra could have been done by mixing the Garrett idea with the Slydini/Andrus one.

I wouldn't give away the Dreamweaver "stuff", but its owners (and maybe some others) will understand.
Jonathan.

PS, If someone finds a place where the Andrus's pins are in sale, could him post me the information (PM or here on this thread.) Thanks.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I can get the 3" pins. Try a fabric store.

I use the Garett routine Pindemonium.

Does Dreamweaver use the same method?
Is that what I'm understanding?

Sometimes I got the impression that the spectators were thinking... "well, you're just using fake pins from the magic store"

Not always, just sometimes.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Quote:
On 2004-01-27 04:26, Frank Starsini wrote:
Does Dreamweaver use the same method?
Is that what I'm understanding?

Frank, I PMd you for more details.
Jonathan.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-01-27 03:11, Jonathan P. wrote:
Pif paf poof is a (quite easy) move to UN-link two regular pins that are linked together.

You're right, I stand corrected. It's been so long since I've performed a linking pin routine that I forgot it was an unlink versus a link move. If I remember correctly, each hand holds the tail of its respective pin versus one hand holding a tail and the other hand holding a head.

At the bottom line, I think there are linking effects that are more effective than ANY linking pin effect. One reason is people know that pins open. Whether they see you open or close them to perform the links and unlinks is a different story, but their knowledge that pins open gives them a logical path to a solution and that gives me an uncomfortable feeling.

Larry D.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2004-01-27 14:20, Larry Davidson wrote:
Whether they see you open or close them to perform the links and unlinks is a different story, but their knowledge that pins open gives them a logical path to a solution and that gives me an uncomfortable feeling.

That's the exact reason I want to find a more convincing method. I heard about a great one that this guy at the magic club does, which turned out to be the Jerry Andrus method. I've heard it's very convincing yet of course there will be those types of people who think you open and close them. I've had a few people accuse me of opening and closing the pins during Dreamweaver, and some have even guessed what the gimmick is.

I think Jay Sankey was on to something when he made 3 Ring Circus, yet I still want to learn the Jerry Andrus effect before I give up on linking safety pin effects completely.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thank you all, Please do not do this effect. It is all mine.

Thanks
Bill
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

No problem, as long as linking finger rings is all mine. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Safety Pins (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL