The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best Card Sword (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Highland
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Highland
I've always liked this effect.
Any advice on what and where the best card swords are. I've seen a number of them, but a lot seem to be a little cheaply made.
I'm interested in close-up versions as well.
Any that you recommend? Close-up or stage.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15131 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, But card sword cannot be done close-up. You might want to check a card stab effect for close-up. Then you will have to carry around a table top.

As far as Card swords are concerned, I got stuck with 2 very poor models. Currently, Stevens Magic has one with a curved hilt.

The problem is the hilt bends on the Italy ones and the ones from South America. Also the chrome peals off.

Abbott's has sold one for decades and I think it is made very well.

If you want a fine one check out Hank Lee's he has one left from Holland.

See if you can get a return policy before you buy.

Bill Smile
Graduate of Chavez School of Prestidigitation and Showmanship
Highland
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Highland
By Close-up, I meant card sword type effect. Mid air stab. John Kennedy sells one, I've heard of one using one of those retractable pointers, I'm sure there are others.
Thanks for the advice on swords Bill.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15131 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Never seen John Kennedy's pocket knife card stab, only cought an ad in Linking Ring.

I do have the Dick Zimmerman card on Pointer. I like Dick's method, very easy. The Pointer is not gimmicked in any way. More of a sleight of hand method.

Bill
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
183 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
With regards to Card Swords I have owned seven in my time and think that the Harry Stanley model made in the UK in the 1950's is the best....without doubt. It has features that the modern ones don't have.

However, for close-up card stabs...Bob Swadling sells a great one, that uses flash paper.

Regards

Scott
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
204 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
>>>Harry Stanley model made in the UK in the 1950's is the best....without doubt. It has features that the modern ones don't have.

Scott, what are those features?

John Tudor
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
I SCREAM 4 Ice Cream
2430 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
El Duco makes a High Quality and beautiful Card Sword. In my opinion, for contemporary Card Swords, it is the BEST designed model I have seen as the Hilt is not oversized. It has a super sleek appearance as well. I wish I could say I own one but I plan to soon.
Otherwise, Viking magic has released a VERY high quality Card Sword as well.
Both are fantastic and well worth the extra cost.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
I agree with Chance.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
With regards to a mini-card stab, I remember seeing in a Magic/Genni magazine about a year ago a version using a platic toy rubber dart gun wher the cards were thrown in the air (done close-up), the performer picked up the toy dart gun, shot the dart in the air (the end of the drt wass attached to the toy gun with a string) and the dart caught the card.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1770 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Eastern Shamans Magic co. sell mini card sword for close up. Using dagger model, there are 2 choice, using mini deck or regular poker size deck. You can email me at ssucahhyo@yahoo.com for detail pictures. the sword come with the scabart. And very ncie quality. The sword work exactly like the normal size card sword.
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick"
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1770 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Sorry, corection for my email ssucahyo@yahoo.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18253 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Chad Long created the one with the little toy gun. Fooled wheee outta meee... it's in his notes.

The Harry Stanley sword, made by George Hammerton and later sold by Ken Brooke is by far and away the BEST EVER, imho... I had George custom make me a spare blade, that was half the length (so it would fit in my briefcase and could be done fairly close up-with one card).

I BELIEVE the Abbott design is the same and is attributed to "Conley" -- but the workmanship of Hammerton's was superior.

Clarke "Senator" Crandall had a great routine with an ungimmicked "Scimitar" (curved sword) that is hard to beat and could be done fairly close up.

The Kennedy stabe with a knife is the BEST of the close up versions. Funny, at Dean Dill's last Wednesday someone from Japan sent Dean a video of a show and he did the Kennedy one with a Swiss Army Knive and it was TERRIFIC.

Of course you could search old Genii magazines and fine MY version using a real RAT TRAP.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1435 Posts

Profile of jstone
Kevin James has a card stab that "stabs" two cards on an umbrella. Then when you open the umbrella, the top of it has the third card. Check out this link: http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=532

It'll make more sense. Also, I met Paul Richards (he's one of the guys at elmwood) about 10 years ago at a convention. He has some really creative material. Check out the site... They've got a ton of great stuff. I saw him do "ballonatrick" about a hundred times that day! It's awesome. Check out a demo of it here: http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?html=list&a......chunk=10
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Yup!

It's called, "Got it Covered", and it makes going through Airport Security easier than trying to go through with a Sword! One heck of a lot more simple to explain!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston
www.FrankThurstonMagic.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
5601 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If you want a close-up version without a table or the mess, see the routine on Don Alan's Greater Magic video. Bill Abbott also performs it on his close-up video, with additional tips and performance footage in a restaurant.
Carnac
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carnac
Yes, I have Kevin James Umbrella Card Sword called "Got it Covered" It works great and is very practical and plays HUGE. It has a better audience reaction than a card sword because you "stab" 2 out of 3 which is pretty good, almost perfect...until you open up the huge golf umbrella to show the 3rd card printed very large on it. Magician in and out of trouble, and the open umbrella with outstretched arms...the perfect applause cue.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I had the old Conley Card Sword that was stolen out of my storage unit years ago. It was wonderful and you can buy one today for about $450.00. However, I now have Rat Trap and it will be the only Card Sword I perform. I love this prop very much and it is a delight to use.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15131 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you have a Fantasio Vanishing Cane, check out Fantasio Cane and Candle book for an eay 3 card stab on on Cane effect, the can then changes to a card silk. Very nice effect and does not use a weapon that may cause some trouble in some facilities, now-a-days.

It is also on the Fantasio Castle Lecture videos.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of videoman
I have the Julio Lipan card sword from Stevens Magic that is absolutely the best of the half dozen or so I have owned over the last 35 years.
I no longer perform the trick though and am considering selling it in case anyone is interested.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......_id=1281

Bill
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
You'd probably be better off noting that in this forum, Bill:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......=76&1558
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston
www.FrankThurstonMagic.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Jan Walla
View Profile
Loyal user
Before you disappear I surround you with
255 Posts

Profile of Jan Walla
Magic, in essence, is the ability of conjuring spirits who help the magician accomplish astonishing feats.
<BR>-Be glad that I am not a Sorcerer... Smile
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
204 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
I agree with Pete that the best one made was the Hammerton. Ed Massey created a Card Dagger that was more appropriate for parlor use, but not really for close-up. The late Tabman made a wonderful recreation of the Massey Dagger that was far superior in creftsmanship

Marc
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1770 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
This is very good quality card sword.
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php......0&page=1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best Card Sword (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.263146 seconds, requiring 84 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [9] [4] [1] [9] [6] [6] [3]