The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Making your own props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
I know a lot of you make your own props. I was wondering if there are websites to go to for e books or plans for making your own
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7191 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just wanted to make sure you know that there is an area of The Magic Café that is all about building your own props. It's called "The Workshop."

As to plans, I've used plans in some from Paul Osborne's books to build various stage illusions (see this thread where I talked about a chimney illusion and also a sleigh illusion that I've built to produce Santa Claus in some shows. There's also a link to photos of my props, on that thread).

And Paul Osborne also has 3 books out on props for kid show performers. See this thread for links his Kidtrix series of books.

Abbott's Magic and Paul Osborne Illusion Systems also sell plans for various illusions as PDF files, I think.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/ (Abbott's Magic site)

http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/ (Paul Osborne's site)

Reminder - e-plans and e-books can't be resold because of copyright reasons.

There is an older book by Micky Hades titled, "The New Make-Up of Magic" that has some plans in it for various props.

- Donald

P.S. Tip - Whenever you are going to build a stage illusion, always make a mock up out of cardboard first, before cutting wood, to make sure that dimensions are correct for fitting people, etc. This might apply to stage magic tricks, as well.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
I was out checking out another place called the magicnook. Seems pretty good. Anyone have any experience with this website
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7191 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have never purchased from their site.

Do a Magic Café search for posts by members named jimgerrish and also spellbinder, and you'll find quite a few posts promoting their magicnook products, and sharing their thought process about make-it-yourself props.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2264 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I've purchased some of the smaller individual items from the Magic Nook. One thing to remember is that many were made by (mostly or completely) the kids in their program. They are good workable tricks, and the plans are good with directions, photos, and routines, but can often be made more durable or more finished than what comes in the manuscripts.

I have not yet purchased any of their books, but I do intend to. Their props seem best for magicians without a lot of time, money, or building skills. (I fit all three!!)

Ed
mengdz
View Profile
New user
Towanda, Pennsylvania
8 Posts

Profile of mengdz
I have purchased and built a few tricks from magicnook. They are a good starting point and with a little skill and ability can be worked into quality props.
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, wa-na-be wrote:
I know a lot of you make your own props. I was wondering if there are websites to go to for e books or plans for making your own

Thank you for this thread OP Smile
I Love You God Smile
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
375 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Depending on what you want to build, there is an awesome site for all kinds of goodies...
Check out http://www.propdog.co.uk/
Cheers!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Crownhart
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Crownhart
A good place to have a BrainStorm is at a local toy store and your local hardware store. Don't look at pipes as pipes, or shelves as shelves, open your eyes and mind and put different things together and create that special something. I made my first performing table from table legs attached to the bottom of a bass guitar case. Complete with skirting and an hour of magic inside. I would walk in with a guitar case and Wow! them with a magic show. I also walk through toy stores regularly to keep up on the hottest toys of our clientele. Always keep your eyes open for that one thing that will spark a whole routine. Remember after Christmas to scan stores for prizes. At Easter look for rabbits, Halloween skulls and stuff.
SinCIRCUSly,

Michael C. Crownhart
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, MagicKingdom10 wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, wa-na-be wrote:

Thank you for this thread OP Smile

second that
COB
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of COB
I love having a snoop around toyshops and finding something to adapt or take apart to make up a prop or gimmick.
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
198 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2015, Crownhart wrote:
A good place to have a BrainStorm is at a local toy store and your local hardware store. Don't look at pipes as pipes, or shelves as shelves, open your eyes and mind and put different things together and create that special something. I made my first performing table from table legs attached to the bottom of a bass guitar case. Complete with skirting and an hour of magic inside. I would walk in with a guitar case and Wow! them with a magic show. I also walk through toy stores regularly to keep up on the hottest toys of our clientele. Always keep your eyes open for that one thing that will spark a whole routine. Remember after Christmas to scan stores for prizes. At Easter look for rabbits, Halloween skulls and stuff.

The guitar case is a cool idea. I drive my wife crazy because I cannot pass a toy store without cruising through for a bit. Looking at what is popular, and always looking for something to work with. She says I am worse than the kids ha ha

...but 2 months ago I found some windsheild wiper glasses like Silly Billy uses. Really crappy ones, but only $1 each, so I bought a few. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Making your own props (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL