The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Conflict in the Ring and Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kanawati
View Profile
New user
Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
I really like Tommy Wonder's teaching on conflict and am drawn towards magician in trouble type presentations. For example I do a rope routine using moves learnt from Richard Sanders' DVD where I tell the audience I will do the famous cut and restored rope trick but then everything goes wrong, the ends come off, the middle comes off, etc. Audiences seem to really enjoy it. I've now just started learning some ring and rope moves and am entertaining myself! But I don't want to just display a series of clever moves. I'm just wondering whether anyone has seen any ring and rope presentations that incorporate conflict or magician in trouble scenarios effectively? Alternatively, without giving away any presentation ideas or storyline, does anyone have any advice on what I could do to avoid looking like I'm just trying to display some skill?
Kanawati
View Profile
New user
Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Since postng my message I think I may have come up with a premise that could work for me! I was thinking about Fred Kaps' homing card performance and how the one card keeps popping up to foil and irritate him. I could start off by stating that I will tie the ends of the rope together so that it will be impossible to romove the ring from the rope but everytime I try to start tying the ends the ring either comes off or goes on before I have a chance....then I can end by finally tying the rope and doing a couple of more moves like having the rope ends come off, etc. Anyway...starting the get a basic strcture I can try and develop:)
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
599 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Sounds good, Kanawati. I was thinking about your original question and it occurred to me that you could do the magician in trouble situation very easily with ring and rope because so many of the moves just depend on one minor twist of the rope here or there to make them work or not work. So you could start by doing the action the move is supposed to mimic, without actually doing the move and make it obvious it isn't working. Then you do the move, which looks like the very same action and for some reason, it now works. That could lend itself to some very funny moments, especially if you are performing a kid show. Adults laugh at much of the same stuff children laugh at (especially if they have kids themselves), it just needs to be reworked a little. Silly Billy's book has helped me a lot with this. Even if you don't perform for children, the book will help you as a magician.

Your example above is a good one about Fred Kaps. His performance of this is perfect, but the basic idea of a magician being irritated by it not working has roots in basic comedy that is just as funny for children as for adults. Another route you could go is to use Eugene Burger's premise in his book The Experience of Magic, about teaching a magic secret. Pat Page uses this in his simple ring and rope routine from his Secret Seminars (rope volume) tapes. He supposedly shows you how the ring gets on and off through a "tiny hole" in the rope. This is just obvious silliness but it nevertheless gives the moves and routine a reason for existing. The idea of showing someone how this magic trick works is inherently interesting and perfectly valid as a premise for presenting what is a essentially just a series of moves with a ring and rope.
Kanawati
View Profile
New user
Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
The fritz, thanks so much for the great ideas! I hadn't thought about the idea of mimicking a move without actually doing a move. Thanks also for pointing me to Pat Page and the idea of a mock explanation:)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15124 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I suggest you purchase "Sleight of Dave 2". David Williamson the famous humorous close-up magician - explains his version of a Ring and Rope Routine. The important clip included on the DVD is David Williamson performing the routine at an Abbott's Get-Together magic convention. Of course it is impossible to copy Dave Williamson's personality, but I believe you will see a very good example of showing a Ring and Rope routine to keep it interesting and entertaining. Study the performance and look beyond the silliness and antics and note the comments by Dave with/to the spectators.

He just does not involve one plot theme, but several at different points in the routine. Magician in trouble, conflict, and the magical moments. Note how he climaxes this simple trick to a feature presentation piece with several climaxes and showing a simple ending to make it a big climax without needing to add anything else but personality and the magic moment the audience should note.

I looked on YouTube and could not find this clip online. If you apply your personality you may be able to use these techniques to your presentation.

This is the best of the best in answering your original question, in my opinion. The best answer to your second question is simply using your personality to take your Ring and Rope Routine from a simple trick to a presentation piece. Skill is the secret of how the trick is done. They should never know how skillful you are and all the hard work you put into your magic tricks. Making the hard look easy is the secret to all successful people. Just a the swimming Champion Michael Phelps is known for his winning contest, no one really thinks about the 8 hours a day he spends in the pool everyday.

You can't go wrong with the magic of David Williamson, all his material is original, easy with practice and workable for everyone. Sorry, but I do not know if it is included in his new multiple DVD offering, "Ridiculous".
Graduate of Chavez School of Prestidigitation and Showmanship
Kanawati
View Profile
New user
Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi Bill, Many thanks for your advice and for pointing me towards David Williamson! I do have his book Williamson's Wonders, and I do admire his style, but never invested in his DVDs...I will have to take a look into the DVDs.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6PjfO2SwAI david williamson ring and rope
Kanawati
View Profile
New user
Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Many thanks Robert!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Conflict in the Ring and Rope (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.084080 seconds, requiring 28 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [9] [0] [0] [6] [4] [0] [9]