The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Happie Amp Portable Pro Buskers Table (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

barts185
View Profile
Special user
Some would say I have been wrong on
576 Posts

Profile of barts185
Rather than have multiple threads, just going to post the link to the thread in Latest and Greatest where some questions are answered.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

They are having a competition.

As has already been said, you know this will be well made because of who is making it! I was the first backer! If I happen to win something because of you, would be happie ( Smile ) to give back something. You would need to back it and let me know.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/341......e-and-s/
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1242 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Really don't like it.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Summer and Autumn 2013.
tommeepickles
View Profile
New user
New Orleans
79 Posts

Profile of tommeepickles
It is just like having a Eureka stand with a utility tool box and a soft top like a close up mat. An addition is the cloth servant but again its not ground breaking.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I thought it was just me. I think it looks sloppy.
scottyocean
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of scottyocean
Looks patched together and un finished
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
2439 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sorry, but, I must agree with the opinions above!
barts185
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of barts185
I'm not looking for anyone to be sorry, and don't feel like this is "the best thing ever" but if anyone could point me to a table I can buy for 200 or less since I have no workshop or tools, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Or even a more expensive one that's worth it and is easily portable for busking.

Any of the ones I've seen either look way worse than this, cost a lot more, have little to no storage space, or some combination of all of those. I've seen a simple folding wood "busking" table that looks like a snack table with a pad and cloth glued onto it selling for 400. I've seen just a table top selling for 150 to 200 (or more - I've seen some for 600).

I have a tool chest that looks similar to this that I put on top of a stand and throw a close-up pad on. I don't feel like this is ALL that different, but think it will be better quality, be easier to transport and will look good enough (especially if I put a banner in front of it) to act as a second / side table for a show as well as be good for busking.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Https://squareup.com/market/showtime-magic-products

I have the Hank Moorehouse Cube table - the 13" square model.
Holds tons of magic which is way more than you'll need for busking.
You just need a table base.
So yeah, it's over $200.00 but it depends how you want to spend your money.

Before you get this, figure if you need a tabletop to work on. The top of this is 13" x 13". There is also a handle in the middle so you can carry it. If you want to put a close up mat on top of it, you will have to go with a double thickness and a single thickness of mat running down the middle.

Also, contact the maker and find out what the minimum and maximum tabletop height will be to see if it works for you.

Just another option. I think it looks very professional, holds a good amount of props and allows you to add signage to is with velco due to the outside box material.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Oh, the above option is because you don't have tools.
Another cheaper option is:

Go to Guitar Center or similar and buy yourself a keyboard stand for about $20

Go to Home Depot and have them cut down a nice piece of good plywood to about 2' x 3' or whatever size you need.

While that piece of plywood is in your cart, use a tape measure to get the exact measurements of your sides.
Go to the trim aisle and cut appropriate lengths of trim with the saw that they have in that dept. I used a plain hardwood trim about 2" wide by 1/4" or 3/8" thick. Remember to account for overlap so that one side of the table, preferably the front and the back, end over the side pieces of trim.

So far that should cost you with the stand less than $50.00.
So you can now afford to buy a hammer and nails, or a screwdriver and some screws to attach the trim to the table.

BUT.....before you do that, keep in mind that you want the table covered.

Go to a fabric store and get whatever fabric you want to cover it with. I'd check the remnant bin first. And if you need some padding they should sell foam and cellulose pads as well. Factor all this in and you can get the appropriate nails or screws to finish this up.

Fabric cost will depend on what kind of fabric you want to buy.
But, if we go high and factor in about $50.00 you still have $100.00 left.

Go back to home depot and go to the tool section. Take a look at the tool bags. Many are black, have tons of pockets inside and out. They hold a lot of props as well. These are the soft sided bags that close like a coin purse at the top....NOT the briefcase looking things.

AND there you go, table and carrying case for under $200.00
If you have different gigs, you can get a few bags and set them up with props for different types of gigs so that you're ready to grab and go at a moments notice.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
It's not a good shot, due to it being night, but this is the table I built just like described above.

Click here to view attached image.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Regular user
Pensacola, FL
169 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Instead of a keyboard stand, you might try a collapsible leaf bag holder similar to this one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vertex-2-5-cu......03258676
EVILDAN
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
The keyboard stand has 5 or 6 height positions.
Is the leaf bag holder adjustable as well? It looks like it might get lower the more spread out the legs are. But I've never seen one.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Regular user
Pensacola, FL
169 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
No it is not as adjustable as the keyboard stand. Fully opened it is 33".
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
605 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Instead of going to The Home Depot and asking them to cut down a piece of plywood, look for finished shelving, which they offer in 24"x12 " (or so) for about $3. Buy a heavy duty stapler for about $10 (or less). Go to fabric store and buy 2 yards of felt. Wrap the shelf and staple. Top finished and looks great. Can be used with a performing pad if you want. I used black felt and a black pad. Sometimes I don't use the pad, depending on what I'm doing.

Also, this is the top to my Moorehouse Cube. Gives me a working space and eliminates need for a second table. Sent the idea to Chris Weed (including a little more sophisticated drawings) but don't think he added it as an option.

Hudson
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
605 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
My wife reminded me that we also used a spray on adhesive (from Home Depot - that they recommended) on the shelving board before we stapled on the felt.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
1914 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I started a thread in 2005 teaching folk how to make a table top from a picture frame. I am so pleased to discover lot of these table tops have been made now. Hear is the link it may be useful to you.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
EVILDAN
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Thanks Mario, helpful indeed.
Sorry I missed your show in Catskill NY, my wife were doing makeup and then performing at a haunted farm about 35 minutes north of us and an extra 20 minutes from where you were. We just couldn't make it time wise.
barts185
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of barts185
Thanks for the replies, definitely going to be checking these out.

I knew that squareup was making the suitcase tables, somehow missed The Cube. It definitely looks nicer, and the Hank Moorehouse Cube PLUS table seems good, but quite a bit more, especially once I realized that the stand (and a lot of other things shown in the pictures together) isn't included, which adds 90 or more to the cost and would mean a separate hand to hold them (I guess attaching cords to strap the legs / base to the cube would work).

One question for anyone who uses these - is the top, when opened, meant to be a place which you could actually do things on? It seems like that in the picture, but having the flange attached to the top piece seems like it would create an odd visual when doing things yourself and any spectator would be going over that flange.

I'd probably want to throw a layer of the cut up sponge cuboids into it for storing things while traveling.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Happie Amp Portable Pro Buskers Table (7 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.146290 seconds, requiring 58 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [1] [9] [8] [6] [9] [1] [4]