The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wayne Dobson vs David Penn - Card to Perspex Box (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
MAJOR SCOOP ALERT!

Time to don your tin helmets folks. The battle lines have been drawn.

Both Wayne Dobson and David Penn are releasing their own version of card to perspex box within the next few weeks.

Wayne's is called 3Sixty

Penn's is called Mystery Solved.

Given the history here, who will you be supporting in the bid for card to perspex box supremacy?
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Hasn't Wayne's been out a while now, or was it on the ole 'pre order' chestnut?
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
I know David's method and from the video have an idea of Wayne's. I personally prefer David's, but I must say I have never experimented with it and have never seen it live, but there is footage of David gigging with it so yeah. I think both have their place, one for the strolling (David) and one when you have a table. David's is bigger though.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

It's strictly pre-order.

The interesting thing here is that both work using a similar principle. Given recent history I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

For information...

Wayne's is endorsed by Jeff McBride, Nick Einhorn, Shawn Farquhar, Alan Rorrison and Chris Dugdale.

Penn's is endorsed by Max Somerset, Ben Hanlin, Ali Cook, Sabastien Calbry and Wayne Fox.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
And do either of these Perspex boxes share DNA with Regal's Perspex box? How many Perspex boxes do we need in our lives? And are we meant to be swayed by past scandals, or judge the products on their respective merits?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I look forward to seeing David's. Respective merits for me. As long as there's a perceived improvement I don't see any problem.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Many desire to see David's box... Few are satisfied...
Ramius
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, OK
82 Posts

Profile of Ramius
Found a couple of videos related to Wayne's 3Sixty:

Teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNMu68iQZTc

and one with a bit closer look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCbMUMlsBw
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Fully examinable barring the close up mat. An admirable use of an old principle. Would suit those who carry close up mats of a certain hue.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
It's strictly pre-order.

The interesting thing here is that both work using a similar principle. Given recent history I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

For information...

Wayne's is endorsed by Jeff McBride, Nick Einhorn, Shawn Farquhar, Alan Rorrison and Chris Dugdale.

Penn's is endorsed by Max Somerset, Ben Hanlin, Ali Cook, Sabastien Calbry and Wayne Fox.

Endorsements stand for very little , as most endorsements are from pals of the person that are bringing out the effect ,

I think the bigger question is do we need another box when there already plenty out in the market , also what do the new box's bring to the market that can not be achieved with the existing product ?

I have already asked this question to Wayne's spokesman but he did not have a answer

Maybe David Penn will bring something new to the table .

Only Time will tell
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
These boxes scream magic prop. Sankey's paperclip done right is hard to beat
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
3 sixty didn't look good at all when I saw it demoed at a recent lecture . I was hoping David's uses a different principle because it was that principle which let it down IMO.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
There is no way that David's will use the same concept as Wayne's. Well I hope not anyway.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Wayne's box can be completely examined at the end of the routine.

With David's you'll either need to switch the box or mod it to remove the gimmick before handing out.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Well I got to admit I do like the look of Wayne Dobson's 3 sixty box I only have the clarity box,nice, but to big to carry around,i do like a change box to have a clear see through appearance so this might be up my street, but still got to check a few more out yet.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Nothing to dump from Regal's box, and you can use it on any surface.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1987 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:

With David's you'll either need to switch the box or mod it to remove the gimmick before handing out.

Mark S Box can be examined at the end it's small size and does not use BA so you don't need to carry round extra bag or close up pad

(I notice that wayne box the pre order date has now slipped back from
06oct to sometime after 31st Oct !)

This is exactly why it is best to avoid Pre Orders
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
True but the regal box is large ! I will still stick to my card in mouth ...
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:

Mark S Box can be examined at the end it's small size and does not use BA so you don't need to carry round extra bag or close up pad

(I notice that wayne box the pre order date has now slipped back from
06oct to sometime after 31st Oct !)

This is exactly why it is best to avoid Pre Orders

Mark's box isn't totally transparent so isn't a fair comparison.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I have many of these type of box's & as a pro. working magician, I have a habit of every 6 to 8 weeks recycling material.

I do this because I work a heck of a lot every week, and perform the same routines over & over again. Why do I rotate & rycycle ? It's so I don't become complacent with my patter & performance. I don't want to sound like a robot repeating the same old lines. It keeps the act fresh & makes it look spontaneous( which it is most of the time ie. there is a LOOSE SCRIPT).

That's why sometimes a chosen card may appear on a ceiling(very rare now though) in a wallet, in a lighter(thank you Chris, in a photo frame(thank you Mark), in a card box , behind my watch or their watch etc etc.

Each card in box has a slightly different thing going for it & I like variation. Also I like spending my money on magic as even though it's my job, I still love it.

I pre ordered Waynes(knowing how it worked) & you DON'T need a table as most spectators have hands.I WILL USE IT as it is excellent.

I also was lucky enough to see David dem this to me about 7 times using Facetime on our phones a few days ago.

I have got to say "Mystery Solved" looked absolutely FANTASTIC & I will also be getting this. It's a business exspense I will use. This may just be exactly what Mr Penn has named it the mystery well & truly solved.

Wayne & David's history should not come into this. It should be left dead & buried. Let us just either buy or not buy what is offered & then if we buy it & use it extensively, give other Café members the benifit of our experience.

ps. I also agree that someones endorcement at 3am at a magic convention doesn't really count( even if they are a convention name). I would rather have an endorcement(ie. recommendation) off someone unheard of who does about 250 events a year on the paying lay public.

Looking forward to both of these box's coming out from 2 of magics most gifted creators & performers.

Most importantantly, I am eager to actually USE THEM to give the people I am entertaing a moment they will never forget.

Thank you Wayne Dobson & thank you David Penn.

Mike Donoghue Pro. Magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wayne Dobson vs David Penn - Card to Perspex Box (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL