The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Nielsen Vanishing Coke Bottle cloudy? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kekoa1
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
I've had a Nielsen empty vanishing coke bottle for about 2 years now and over time...it has become increasingly cloudy? When I first received it...the bottle was clear. Now...you can barely see through it. Is this common? I've always kept it stored out of direct sunlight when not in use...cleaned it on a regular basis with Armour All.
Does anyone have a method that will restore the bottle to like new condition regarding the clarity of the vinyl?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Armor All is not a cleaner, you have to clean vinyl before you put on Armor All. Armor All only puts the shine on the vinyl.

It is best to keep the bottle in a heavy duty plastic bag that has seal.

You comment is vague on keeping the bottle out of direct sunlight. If it setting on a shelf, with a window, sunlight will reach the bottle. It should be kept in a box with a lid.

Also vinyl is made from petroleum oil. If you have other thinks against the bottle that will suck out the oil, this will shorten the life of the bottle. Things like fabric, silk, etc. will absorb the oils.

I believe Norm Nielsen recommended to clean the bottle with lighter fluid.

Hope these tips helped you solve your problem.
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
Aloha Bill...thanks for the info. I've always kept the bottle inside another plastic container to help keep the shape. It is stored away from direct sunlight or UV light for that matter. As far as cleaning the bottle...It isn't dirty...so I usually wipe it down with armor all to keep the shine. I thought using lighter fluid was only for removing any sticky residue from "labels"?
I just have noticed that over time...the vinyl has become cloudy? I received an e-mail from Lupe Nielsen stating that due to the different type of plastic that is used in the production process...the bottles do not last as long as before. Hence, they might go cloudy faster and there is no way of getting around this issue. Humidity is also a factor in whether or not the bottles appear clear. I've noticed that on days when the humidity is high in Hawaii...the bottle does appear to be look cloudier.
I just thought there might be something to help clear it up...so tho speak...but it might be futile.
I've already purchased a replacement.

Aloha!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks for your response, yes, you are correct, lighter fluid is suggested for the sticker residue, but it may also work for removing dust particles and your body oils due to handling, that collect on the bottle and can build up.

I found that unless the container is a complete air tight seal, that an air tight plastic bag is best. I put mine in a plastic bag, squeeze out all the air, then place it back in the tube the bottle is sold in.
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
Aloha Bill,
When the replacement arrives, I'll try keeping it in an airtight bag as you suggested and see if that works! Thank you for the idea!
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I would be cautious with using lighter fluid on plastic.
It may or may not work. As a matter of fact, it could make it worse.
I am a chemist and I found that it depends on the plastic. There are many different plastics .
It may work but I would try it first on another piece of plastic that is the same type and that you don't care about.
For more info see:
http://songboh.wordpress.com/tag/lighter-fluid/
Ihor
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Great thread!!! Appreciate the intellectual exchange.
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
Aloha Ihop...since you state that you are a chemist...and to use caution when using lighter fluid on plastics...I wonder why the Nielsen family suggests using lighter fluid to remove residue on their vinyl bottles? I've never had the need to use lighter fluid...as my clear (ehem...now a litle cloudy) coke bottle does not need an adhesive type of label in order to perform.
I'm wondering if storing the bottle in an airtight plastic bag while in storage will help minimize the cloudy appearance of the bottle, as Bill suggests? As stated in the previous posts...when my new replacement arrives I'll give it a shot.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lighter fluid contains naphtha and this most likely why they suggest it. Naphtha was one of the original cleaning agents for cloths and other products for many years. Plastic and vinyl are to different products. I would use Goo Gone before the lighter fluid to remove the residue from the labels.

I cannot suggest anything with your clouding problem. As stated, if your hands are very moist most the time, or when people find it hard to keep the keyboard letters from fading and the paint is being removed, they most likely have high acid content, and that my be one reason for the cloudiness. I am only guessing, but it is something that may cause the problem.
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
Bill,

Interesting to say the least. I do agree that Goo Gone would be a better alternative than lighter fluid despite Nielsen's recommendation.

As for high acid content? I don't believe that is the problem? I understand what you are saying though.

My guess would have to be humidity coupled with not keeping the bottle in an air tight environment?

Thanks Bill for all of the comments...very much appreciated!

Aloha!
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2014, kekoa1 wrote:
Aloha Ihop...since you state that you are a chemist...and to use caution when using lighter fluid on plastics...I wonder why the Nielsen family suggests using lighter fluid to remove residue on their vinyl bottles? I've never had the need to use lighter fluid...as my clear (ehem...now a litle cloudy) coke bottle does not need an adhesive type of label in order to perform.
I'm wondering if storing the bottle in an airtight plastic bag while in storage will help minimize the cloudy appearance of the bottle, as Bill suggests? As stated in the previous posts...when my new replacement arrives I'll give it a shot.

Give it a try. Like I said, there are many different formulations and processes to make plastic.
If the the Nielsen family recommends it, then it's probably safe.
My specialty is pharmaceuticals, not plastics.
Ihor
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
IHOP...thanks for the input. I agree that if the Nielsen's say it's safe to use lighter fluid...then it most likely is.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The lighter fluid works to a degree, and does no harm.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I've got a couple Nielsen bottles and I noticed after a couple years of sitting idle on the shelf in the original cardboard tubes (with their lids on), the bottles have become sticky. I'm not talking about where the stickers were, but the rest of the bottle. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, can the bottles be washed in warm, soapy water, or will that ruin the bottle?
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Soap and water will not remove the sticky, use lighter fluid, I think zippo is better then Ronson. The bottles are made of a Vinyl material. Problem with magic props, they need to be stored at room temperature, basements and addicts will destroy props, paint, rust, and the whole nine yards.

If you have not used it, there is not need to be concerned about it, just buy a new one, if you think you will really use it this time.

I would imagine that that sticky substance is the oil being drawn out of the vinyl. I keep mine in a sealed zip plastic bag, then then slide it in the cardboard tube. The sealed bag, helps and prevents the atmospheric conditions to attack the material. Sort of like being vacuum sealed.

The bladder is not vinyl, so will not last as long as the bottle. It should be stored in a container in the freezer, when your not using it. Make sure it is totally dry before you freeze it, take it out the day before you are going to use it and let it thaw without touching it, as it may crack.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Ronsonol tastes best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Nielsen Vanishing Coke Bottle cloudy? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL