The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPearing Soon... » » City Prediction by SOMA (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
kellebotond
View Profile
New user
Hungary
86 Posts

Profile of kellebotond
Hi,

There is a new APP by SOMA for iPhones and iPads. You can predict the spectator's completely freely selected City using their phone!

You can check out the trailers here:

http://youtu.be/KSLLR5ux7bY
http://youtu.be/icGyIEuO2Lg


Description
Amazing magic on the spectators iPhone by World Champion Magician, SOMA. Unlike other magic apps, this trick is not performed on the magician's phone, so the spectator will not assume that a tricky app is involved. City Prediction is a pure miracle performed on the spectator's iPhone in his/her hand. It is so unbelievable it will leave the audience speechless and amazed.

= The effect =
The magician asks for the spectator’s iPhone and asks her to open the built-in Maps application. After the performer turned it away for a few seconds, he puts it face-down on the table. From this point, nobody will touch the phone but the spectator. First she names a city - it is completely free of choice, no lists or restrictions are involved. Then she turns her iPhone over and surprisingly realizes that the city she named is marked in the previously opened Maps application.

The trick is easy to perform, requires minimal setup and practice. The app includes written instructions and a video guide, as well.

= Facts =
- Works with any iPhone or iPad with iOS6+
- NO voice recognition used
- NO force used
- NO pre-show used
- Spectator can name virtually ANY city in the world
- Nothing is installed on the spectator’s device
- City is marked in the Apple Maps application
- A brand new method never used in magic before


And here is the appstore link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/city-pre......311?mt=8
Bűvészműsor Rendelés
http://www.buveszmusor.hu/
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1069 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
VERY VERY clever!

Looking fwd to integrating this with a few other ideas I have. Awesome price too!
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1097 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
Exactly the same as TZP that Vincent Launay and I created over a year ago lol.

Myke
X
gyorkop
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of gyorkop
@DynaMix: If you have any idea, you should send about it an email to SOMA, I'm pretty sure that he will be interested Smile
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1097 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
Okay, I've bought the App and the effect is only the second phase of TZP that is the same.

No problems here 😉

Cool App.

Myke
X
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1069 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Have you released tzp Myke?
parkrocker
View Profile
Regular user
Nuremberg, Germany
170 Posts

Profile of parkrocker
Sounds great! What about Android and Google maps? Smile
www.balconyproductions.com
Be Creative. Be Unique.
gyorkop
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of gyorkop
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, parkrocker wrote:
Sounds great! What about Android and Google maps? Smile


Excellent question. First, Apple Maps is a built-in application, so it's installed on every spectator's iPhone, that's why City Prediction uses it instead of some third party maps app.

Android is very a fragmented platform and we did not want to take the risk to ruin the trick because of some custom app or settings. Nevertheless we will consider to support it in the near future.

Thank you for your feedback.

gyorkop
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
I believe every Android phones have Gmaps pre-installed on it. Or is it not?
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, gyorkop wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, parkrocker wrote:
Sounds great! What about Android and Google maps? Smile


Excellent question. First, Apple Maps is a built-in application, so it's installed on every spectator's iPhone, that's why City Prediction uses it instead of some third party maps app.

Android is very a fragmented platform and we did not want to take the risk to ruin the trick because of some custom app or settings. Nevertheless we will consider to support it in the near future.

Thank you for your feedback.

gyorkop


I understand wanting to use the Apple Maps and that is okay with me because I can always borrow an iPhone from a spectator but I want is the ability to transmit from any device. That way if I decide to use the confederate mode they can have any device. I actually use my iPhone and iPad in my performance and can't just hand it to an assistant.
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
I have bought the app. It's indeed a clever app that can use spectactor iphone/ipad. I do hope it can also support other brand, so we can have wider targets. Put in mind that the app can run on iphone and ipad. But, it's not an universal app. So the UI is build for iphone not really fit for someone who want to present it on their ipad. But it's not a big deal, and the first video performance in the app show one unique method so good that you can utilize it with either your iphone/ipad.
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Hi Gordon. We've shared an exact opposite opinion on the app. That's interesting. Here in my area is very hard for me to target an iphone/ipad. I can easily target an android though. They're practically everywhere.
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2014, daniltan wrote:
Hi Gordon. We've shared an exact opposite opinion on the app. That's interesting. Here in my area is very hard for me to target an iphone/ipad. I can easily target an android though. They're practically everywhere.


In the long term I agree I would like to be able to target any phone. And I think it is possible but could be a little buggy.
But we should in the short term be able to transmit from any device considering it is just a special URL that transmits the info built into the app.

If they didn't have an iphone I just go into something else using their android.
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2014, GordonTheHypnotist wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2014, daniltan wrote:
Hi Gordon. We've shared an exact opposite opinion on the app. That's interesting. Here in my area is very hard for me to target an iphone/ipad. I can easily target an android though. They're practically everywhere.


In the long term I agree I would like to be able to target any phone. And I think it is possible but could be a little buggy.
But we should in the short term be able to transmit from any device considering it is just a special URL that transmits the info built into the app.

If they didn't have an iphone I just go into something else using their android.


I see your point. Let's hope the developer can answer to us Smile
gyorkop
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of gyorkop
OK, so we have several different requests:

1, Transmit from any device
Transmitting from any device is not that easy, because if it would be just a special URL, anyone could ruin your performance by transmitting a different city. That is something you do not want so City Prediction uses a signature mechanism. The real solution would be to create the Android version of the app.

2, Make the layout iPad compatible
That is something that we should do, we just have to come up with a reasonable layout for the settings so stay tuned.

3, Extend the possible targets to Android users
We are going to do some experiments to find out if it can be reliable or not. Keep in mind that we do not want you to fail when performing the trick, so we want it to make it as robust as possible.

gyorkop
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1069 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I've absolutely slayed with this the past few days by integrating with "hotel" and allowing for ample time misdirection. Just nutty reactions! LOVE this app!
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, gyorkop wrote:
OK, so we have several different requests:

1, Transmit from any device
Transmitting from any device is not that easy, because if it would be just a special URL, anyone could ruin your performance by transmitting a different city. That is something you do not want so City Prediction uses a signature mechanism. The real solution would be to create the Android version of the app.

2, Make the layout iPad compatible
That is something that we should do, we just have to come up with a reasonable layout for the settings so stay tuned.

3, Extend the possible targets to Android users
We are going to do some experiments to find out if it can be reliable or not. Keep in mind that we do not want you to fail when performing the trick, so we want it to make it as robust as possible.

gyorkop


It may not be "easy" but it is possible I know because I have multiple apps that work on this "thumper" principle. You thump one item from a selected URL from any source; smartphone, computer, tablet etc. and in most cases the receiver can be any other source with the ability to receive that information. Now with your effect it makes sense that the receiver has to be an iOS product because they have the inherent feature necessary to accomplish the effect. To build an android version of this I assume it would have to be from the ground up. I don't expect you to do this unless you think it will be commercially viable.

But you already have created a way to make any device a transmitter and that is a uniquely coded URL with a specific identifier. Your receiver has a uniquely coded identifier why couldn't a transmitter? That is exactly how these other apps work. You either are given or have to create an identifier specific to you (the performer) and that way each person (performer) wouldn't be transmitting a different city because they would also have unique identifiers.


I understand the reasons you wouldn't want to do this.

Having an actual app makes it much more proprietary. But since in order to get the unique URL you would have to purchase the app (signature mechanism) I don't see this issue being major. I don't see anyone sharing their unique URL because that would ruin the ability to perform the effect exclusively. The only person I would want to share this with is my assistant. My assistant does not have any iOS products. Which means if I wanted to do one kind of particular performances I would have to loan him one of my devices. But the problem is use all of these in my performances. I can't justify giving him my iPad or iPhone to perform this effect because it means I could not perform one of the other effects without him physically giving me back my device.

It would be so much easier if I could give him my specific URL identifier and let him use any of his devices.

Please let me know if you would consider this. The only other thing that I would want if you can't do this is to cross device thresholds meaning the android app should change both iOS and Google based maps and vice versa.

Many thanks!

--Gordon
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
gyorkop
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of gyorkop
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, DynaMix wrote:
I've absolutely slayed with this the past few days by integrating with "hotel" and allowing for ample time misdirection. Just nutty reactions! LOVE this app!


I'm glad to hear you liked our app and also tried to make it even stronger with this "hotel" integration. Could you please tell us more about the actual effect you came up with?

gyorkop
gyorkop
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of gyorkop
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, GordonTheHypnotist wrote:
It may not be "easy" but it is possible I know because I have multiple apps that work on this "thumper" principle. You thump one item from a selected URL from any source; smartphone, computer, tablet etc. and in most cases the receiver can be any other source with the ability to receive that information. Now with your effect it makes sense that the receiver has to be an iOS product because they have the inherent feature necessary to accomplish the effect. To build an android version of this I assume it would have to be from the ground up. I don't expect you to do this unless you think it will be commercially viable.

But you already have created a way to make any device a transmitter and that is a uniquely coded URL with a specific identifier. Your receiver has a uniquely coded identifier why couldn't a transmitter? That is exactly how these other apps work. You either are given or have to create an identifier specific to you (the performer) and that way each person (performer) wouldn't be transmitting a different city because they would also have unique identifiers.


I understand the reasons you wouldn't want to do this.

Having an actual app makes it much more proprietary. But since in order to get the unique URL you would have to purchase the app (signature mechanism) I don't see this issue being major. I don't see anyone sharing their unique URL because that would ruin the ability to perform the effect exclusively. The only person I would want to share this with is my assistant. My assistant does not have any iOS products. Which means if I wanted to do one kind of particular performances I would have to loan him one of my devices. But the problem is use all of these in my performances. I can't justify giving him my iPad or iPhone to perform this effect because it means I could not perform one of the other effects without him physically giving me back my device.

It would be so much easier if I could give him my specific URL identifier and let him use any of his devices.

Please let me know if you would consider this. The only other thing that I would want if you can't do this is to cross device thresholds meaning the android app should change both iOS and Google based maps and vice versa.

Many thanks!

--Gordon


First of all thank you for your detailed explanation, I appreciate it.

When we designed the app, our main goal was to make it easy to use not only for professionals but for the beginners as well. Those other "thumper" apps have a totally different concept than City Prediction, because the trick is done on the performer's iPhone. Since we would rather not involve a third device, we came up with this less complicated method.

We are going to consider your feedback and in the future we might create a private webpage for everyone as an alternate "transmitter".

gyorkop
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
Thanks for answering my question but I just wanted to clear one thing up. These other effects I am speaking of are not performed on the "performers" phone they are indeed performed on the spectators phone. iPhone, Android and others are all possible. In fact there is no visible use of any tech being used by the performer whatsoever.

You have a very creative and clever app and may be the first to use Apple maps but definitely not the first to use this other technology. I do appreciate your want to further improve on the app and your willingness to listen to the performer's wants and concerns.

best,

Gordon
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPearing Soon... » » City Prediction by SOMA (28 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL