The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..19~20~21 [Next]
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I'm happy to see Craig back on form. I've missed him.

Welcome back Craig Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
tricktac
View Profile
New user
U.K
73 Posts

Profile of tricktac
Well, erm actually, I've used both the clarity box, and the destination box, so I know which worked best for MY audience, thanks very much.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
I thought you weren't going to argue.

That didn't last long!

The fact that you used the Coarity Box means you purchased it. So at some point you must have thought that having a clear box was better than Destination Box as you stated that you used Destination Box for 5 years and Clarity Box is a recent product. By spending money on something you must have at least liked the idea. I imagine that having performed with the clarity box you decided Destination Box is better - why was that?

Oh and Jamie, thanks for the welcome.

Craig.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Craig, we do and will see eye to eye on some things. There's just more that we don't.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
342 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Jon Allen wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Craig Petty wrote:

Interesting point Jon. Surely the Sam logic could be applied to your routine Double Back. That's a routine that's based on an existing routine (Doc Dalleys Last Trick) which you improved and marketed. By improving it you made it unexaminable. I'm assuming though you feel the the fact it can't be examined was worth it for the improvements you made.

As you say not being able to examine something is a consideration so how do you justify using your effect instead of the original which is the same effect but is examinable. And whatever justification you come up with why can't that be applied to David's effect?

Hi Craig,

You bring up a very interesting point, probably inadvertently.

You said I improved DDLT. Thank you; I do too. I do feel the increased impact created by the use of the gimmick outweighs the use of it. In fact, Richard Kaufman said in Genii that it was one of the best uses for a card gimmick he had ever seen. I think only on three occasions has anyone asked to examine the cards. Part of why such a minuscule percentage is in the routining.

I changed the original routine and created a more magical moment. I use my effect over the original because of the presentation it allows me to perform the original doesn't allow me and the increased impact the gimmick offers.

One cannot apply the same justification here. You wrote "David's effect" but you are wrong. It is not his effect; it is Bruno Hennig's. David is introducing an unexaminable prop to achieve exactly the same effect as it already exists. As such, he is not bringing anything new to The Card to Box *effect* so you cannot group this and Double Back together. I can achieve the same effect as Mystery Solved with an ungimmicked perspex box; I cannot achieve the same effect as Double Back without the gimmick. I am sure there will be a semantics issue...

What can be said for it is that the size is such that it can be carried around easily in a pocket.

When different props that do the same effect are on the market, magicians have to ask themselves what each prop offers. The same goes for wallets. As such, the question is, "What does this bring to the table (pun intended) that doesn't already exist?"

Btw, I agree that my Destination Box and this one cannot be compared. Two different effects and premises.

The examinability issue with double back is a much bigger issue than with mystery solved. Yes your box and mystery solved can't be compared in premise, but they can be compared in practicality and impact on audience (to which yours is sub-par).
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Fatgumbo,

Sub-par in practicality and impact? Can you expand a bit on why you feel this to be the case and was is level par? What have your audiences' reactions been to both?

Regards,
Jon
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
360 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
Destination box is the strongest close up trick I do by far. Nothing comes close and it's an incredible prop.

If you hold up a mirror to compare both props you'll see many differences.

Reflect on that.
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
342 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:
Hi Fatgumbo,

Sub-par in practicality and impact? Can you expand a bit on why you feel this to be the case and was is level par? What have your audiences' reactions been to both?

Regards,
Jon

Hi certainly. You have previously mentioned (not on this thread) using the destination box for walk around by giving it to the spectator to hold at the start of the routine. What do you think is more practical, producing a glass box from your pocket and giving it to your spectator to hold, then place back in your pocket at the end, or carrying that wooden suitcase with you, and carrying it with both hands to the next table?

In terms of impact, a card which has been seen in full view the whole time and in the spectators hands which undoubtedly could not have been switched makes for a stronger impact. I observed this when switching from kennedy's mystery box to mark southworth's the box.
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
360 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
Your talking nonsense.
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
342 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, simon hughes wrote:
Your talking nonsense.

If you want to raise a point for an argument, you have to at least point out where you think I'm wrong. At this moment, you have zero credibility. Nice try though.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Fatgumbo wrote:

Hi certainly. You have previously mentioned (not on this thread) using the destination box for walk around by giving it to the spectator to hold at the start of the routine. What do you think is more practical, producing a glass box from your pocket and giving it to your spectator to hold, then place back in your pocket at the end, or carrying that wooden suitcase with you, and carrying it with both hands to the next table?

In terms of impact, a card which has been seen in full view the whole time and in the spectators hands which undoubtedly could not have been switched makes for a stronger impact. I observed this when switching from kennedy's mystery box to mark southworth's the box.

Thanks.

I do indeed use my Destination Box for walkaround. From the two options you gave, the more practical is the glass box. However, seeing as my Destination Box is not the size of a suitcase and does not require two hands to carry it round, it go with the one that doesn't come from my pocket, taking up more pocket space. You call my box a suitcase for which you need to use both hands which is funny. Just how small are you? Smile

As for impact, this is purely subjective. Whenever people say X is stronger than Y, if they have genuinely worked both X and Y for laymen and discovered that X is stronger then nobody can argue against their experience. You wrote that my Destination Box is sub-par compared to David's one but you have not used either?
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Cohiba wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, genius wrote:
The use of a prop in this effect is obvious. Who carries clear glass boxes with them? This is not organic mentalism!

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Well the average guy on the street isn't going to have a clear glass box in his pocket, but a magician or mentalist aiming to be as fair as possible to his audience very likely would.

What's more fair then a folded card with a paperclip on it?

The concern should be whether or not the prop makes sense in the routine, and whether or not it looks suspicious. If its use makes complete sense, and it arouses no suspicion, then I believe you are still abiding by the "organic" ideal.

A portable finger-chopper, for example, makes sense (because you're a magician showing something impossible - you carry weird props to show your skills); however, it arouses suspicion as a funky magician prop, so it does not fit into the organic ideal.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Why is anyone listening to Craig anyway. With his last dishonest outright theft RED. Since that I have pretty much sworn off WMS all together. I hope I don't magically (pun intended) get banned for expressing my opinion. As far as the thread subject, go with paperclipped. Nothing is fairer and the switch is perfect. Also if need be the prop (paperclip) can be examined. I'm sure the box cannot be examined.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
342 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Fatgumbo wrote:

Thanks.

I do indeed use my Destination Box for walkaround. From the two options you gave, the more practical is the glass box. However, seeing as my Destination Box is not the size of a suitcase and does not require two hands to carry it round, it go with the one that doesn't come from my pocket, taking up more pocket space. You call my box a suitcase for which you need to use both hands which is funny. Just how small are you? Smile

As for impact, this is purely subjective. Whenever people say X is stronger than Y, if they have genuinely worked both X and Y for laymen and discovered that X is stronger then nobody can argue against their experience. You wrote that my Destination Box is sub-par compared to David's one but you have not used either?

yes it is subjective because it is my opinion. The argument I made was based upon an opaque box vs. a transparent box, and argued that dave's is stronger because it is transparent and smaller. Please don't change the wording of my argument.

Also, it was quite transparent that my usage of the word 'suitcase' was merely figurative, no need to poke fun at my stature for it.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, jconstantine wrote:
Why is anyone listening to Craig anyway. With his last dishonest outright theft RED. Since that I have pretty much sworn off WMS all together. I hope I don't magically (pun intended) get banned for expressing my opinion. As far as the thread subject, go with paperclipped. Nothing is fairer and the switch is perfect. Also if need be the prop (paperclip) can be examined. I'm sure the box cannot be examined.

:-)
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:

Why is anyone listening to Craig anyway. With his last dishonest outright theft RED.

That should keep him in his place for a little while . . . . but I am sure he will be back soon with his hype machine. Smile Smile

Quote:

As far as the thread subject, go with paperclipped. Nothing is fairer and the switch is perfect. Also if need be the prop (paperclip) can be examined. I'm sure the box cannot be examined.

. . . but Lager Switch by Alexander de Cova can be examined. Smile

All of a sudden we see a spur of Card to Crystal Box props popping up. It would now be in the best interest of the consumer that an honest comparison be made of the many such props . . . till then my humble suggestion for the prospective buyer would be to wait for an honest and impartial comparative review . . . . but I am afraid, with the bigwigs involved with their Hype Machines, that might never come.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Why is any box a problem? The more card to/in box products are out there, the more choice there is for the consumer. X is better than Y, Y is better than X. It doesn't matter. Buy what you like and use what you want. Simple. We all don't want to be performing with the same props at our gigs, so choice is good. Smile
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
. . . . but no harm in waiting for a good, honest, impartial comparative review (like I said earlier - IF it ever comes) so as to help the consumer select the right suitable prop for his need. Right? Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Ustaad wrote:
. . . . but no harm in waiting for a good, honest, impartial comparative review (like I said earlier - IF it ever comes) so as to help the consumer select the right suitable prop for his need. Right? Smile

Smile

It is so cool to have you back Narendra...

Also a heartfelt apology to David Penn from me regarding his choice of the music on his demo video. Apparently (unbeknownst to moi) this was music that anyone can buy, and apparently many magic producers have.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
I got one word for you, craig petty. I wont say it, but it is a color. Not blue or yellow. So there...lol.

Mindblowingly,
Charles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..19~20~21 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL