The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents FAIR PLAY (159 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22..31~32~33 [Next]
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Profile of ManchurianMan83
I would never follow something like 'Fair Play' up with anything like 'Invisible Deck' or 'color monte' or card vanishes or any of that kind of thing.

Fair Play is a mentalism plot that deals with a spectator's free will and mental decisions.
If not Mentalism, then at the very least, it falls under 'mental magic'.

Bottom line is you're dealing with a presentation that is all about predicting/influencing a series of mental decisions.
To follow that up with ANYTHING like color changes or vanishes IMO would be a miscalculation.

'Excuse me Ladies and Gentlemen, I am having a bit of an Identity Crisis today.
I don't know if I'm a Magician or a Mentalist'

Each one undermines the other.

To follow mentalism up with magic suggests the mentalism was a trick too.
To follow magic up with Mentalism undermines any seriousness you try to go for after pulling something from your hat.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2014, emyers99 wrote:
You boys are funny. Happy Thanksgiving.

As I've said before, if you like this, great. My point is simply that if you did this and then followed it with a standard like invisible deck, thumb tip silk vanish or even color monte and then asked the audience to vote, I can't see anyone voting fair play as their fav. And to those that say I can't comment because I don't own this, I disagree. After 30 yrs of performing, I'm very familiar with the underlying principle/effect. I'm sure the new gimmick is great, but I don't feel it strengthens the plot. To each his own.

You're missing the point of when to perform this. This would never be followed up with invisible deck, color monte, thumb tip vanishes, etc. This is on your keychain and works with items found in your pocket at all times for a reason. This is meant to be a spur of the moment effect when someone asks for you to do something for them on the spot. This is an anytime, anywhere trick. No one walks around all the time with an invisible deck, thumb tip and color monte cards in their pocket.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
You're missing my point. At no time did I imply you would follow it up with any of those effects. My point all along is simply that I feel this effect is weak. So if you are a mentalist/thought influencer, is this really going to leave a strong impression on your audience or is it going to be at best a "nice but so what". If you think it's strong, great. Have fun.
Knobz1
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte, NC
157 Posts

Profile of Knobz1
I think it's strong. And the reactions I have gotten have been just that. To each his own.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Gotta go. Got more people to amaze with Fair Play Smile
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Obviously people think Free Will is a strong effect. If they didn't, Fair Play wouldn't exist.

If you're in the minority, that's fine, then this thread might not be for you. everyone has their own opinions.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
That one made me laugh. Welcome to Marketing 101
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Profile of ManchurianMan83
I feel a lot of 'magician over thinking' going on with this.

If we're going to start poking at the 'I/You' wording and how 'obvious' it potentially is, then I am also going to apply the same critical mind set to other equally potentially transparent procedures such as Equivoque and the OAP.

Equivoque if done really badly can be bloody obvious what's going on. I've witnessed some cringeworthy examples of it!, yet in the correct hands can seem like true mind reading or thought manipulation.

With the OAP, you're blatantly getting your spectator to tell you what they are thinking.
Of course they are supposed to believe you have already commited yourself to a prediction by that point but if we're going to get critical, you can't show them that prediction until a little bit further into the procedure.
All it would take is a spectator to go 'clearly he wrote it after somehow' and it's no better than Fair Play.

It's all in the presentation.
It's what makes potentially obvious methods become keys of deception.

Judging the method/performance of Fair Play, or ANY marketed product for that matter, on a couple demonstrations by dealers who are only showing a quick down'n'dirty 'what this product is/does' example, and can't think for themselves outside that of how they might be able to perform it in a better way should not be the ones buying these sort of products anyway.

I beg to differ.
I'm sure Jim Carrey COULD make an interesting presentation out of this, and if he couldn't, I think that says a lot more about Jim Carrey than it does about Fair Play.
Robin Williams once did a 10 minute impromptu act with nothing more than a dish cloth.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
To be honest, due to linguistic and varying sensibilities around different languages I find the original Free Will not really strong, but a nice play as a lead in for something stronger following up. There have been so many attempts to make the theme of Free Will (at least a bit) stronger... I think Fair Play might be one of these attempts and probably quite successful.
I have several solutions, some quite high tech... even going up the road using two FK (pro...tic) with different frequencies hidden in different candies... So at least a nod to Free Will and its creator being so thought provoking. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
My closing argument ladies and gentlemen of the jury ....

I suppose it's up the potential buyer of this or any effect. Listen to the folks that don't own it or listen to the folks that do own it when making your decision. It's as simple as that.

I rest my case.

J

PS: it's never as simple as that but I tried.
mwmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of mwmagic
I am still undecided on this.

Is there any way to remove or cover the "I" committed...text?
It just seems to spoil the freewill principle, when "I" is reused in 50% of the outcomes.
Hope you follow and I will appreciate any suggestions on how to manage this aspect if its not covered on the DVD.
wanderwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of wanderwizard
Have just thought of another presentation if you don't have a dollar etc Get the spectator to simply imagine the items and write down bill in pocket etc
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
If you ever leave your fair play at home for any reason, or it breaks, then learn Impossible by Steve Tucker as an impromptu back up.

Or get Elsdon's CAM 2

Tips from a canny Scot Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
mwmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of mwmagic
I was undecided on this. I am not now! This is a very well thought out product.
Steve was good enough to contact me. He is a genuine guy, who is keen to explain.
As I have already said, the mechanics and innovation are top class.
The psychology and logic are too.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
The latest Saturn Product Review features Fair Play check it out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/n......w-5.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
If you ever leave your fair play at home for any reason, or it breaks, then learn Impossible by Steve Tucker as an impromptu back up.

Or get Elsdon's CAM 2

If you mean the one and only, Steve Tucker Jamie,then now ya talking ,i have met him a few times and got some of his wonderful card routine material,awesome,great showmanship,his humour to me is spot on,he is one clever guy,i may buy this key fob,or I may not,i am not bothered,it is a nice twist to the free will principle,even looking as they have even more of a freewill,i like the old way better,even sometimes writing their outcome on a peice of paper,then the reveal,never been caught out so far,I am going to save my money as I may get a good gimmick that works ok,but then might break down?,the old way will not break, all in the head and mind presentation to me is the best,and more importantly cost me nowt,nothing to break down,except me,lol. I can see the appeal and if it rocks your boat get it,different strokes for different folks,think that;s the saying?,lol.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2014, mwmagic wrote:
I am still undecided on this.

Is there any way to remove or cover the "I" committed...text?
It just seems to spoil the freewill principle, when "I" is reused in 50% of the outcomes.
Hope you follow and I will appreciate any suggestions on how to manage this aspect if its not covered on the DVD.

Why?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2014, Fire Starter wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

Or get Elsdon's CAM 2

If you mean the one and only, Steve Tucker Jamie,then now ya talking ,i have met him a few times and got some of his wonderful card routine material,awesome,great showmanship,his humour to me is spot on,he is one clever guy,i may buy this key fob,or I may not,i am not bothered,it is a nice twist to the free will principle,even looking as they have even more of a freewill,i like the old way better,even sometimes writing their outcome on a peice of paper,then the reveal,never been caught out so far,I am going to save my money as I may get a good gimmick that works ok,but then might break down?,the old way will not break, all in the head and mind presentation to me is the best,and more importantly cost me nowt,nothing to break down,except me,lol. I can see the appeal and if it rocks your boat get it,different strokes for different folks,think that;s the saying?,lol.

I don't know why some are so worried about a backup. Do you have a backup brain? I mean it's mentalism, it's an experiment.

Try another experiment. Isn't that what you do with your performance anyway? You don't need to keep trying a free will thing until it works or until they like it. It's a one time shot. It works for you or it doesn't. Take out a pad of paper and write the date and time as if it was another attempt. "Ahhhh, lets try something else."
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2014, mwmagic wrote:
I was undecided on this. I am not now! This is a very well thought out product.
Steve was good enough to contact me. He is a genuine guy, who is keen to explain.
As I have already said, the mechanics and innovation are top class.
The psychology and logic are too.

Glad I could help man!

Steve
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quite a few people on this thread have reported having defective units. Lets hope dealers play fair in sorting out fair play issues.

I also received a defective unit and I returned it for a new one at Penguin. I just received the new one and it is also defective (extremely hard to pull out and either not consistent in the message or won't change)!! So I'm not a happy camper right now and will be returning for a refund instead of another replacement.
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2014, Lbuford wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quite a few people on this thread have reported having defective units. Lets hope dealers play fair in sorting out fair play issues.

I also received a defective unit and I returned it for a new one at Penguin. I just received the new one and it is also defective (extremely hard to pull out and either not consistent in the message or won't change)!! So I'm not a happy camper right now and will be returning for a refund instead of another replacement.

Hello Lbuford,

I am sorry to hear you are having this trouble. If you choose to return it and are still interested in the product, you are welcome to order it from Hocus Pocus and I can personally test yours before it is shipped to confirm it is fully functional. Entirely up to you but I want to let you know I can try to help if you still want this product.

Cole
Hocus Pocus
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
Toll Free: 800-407-4040
www.hocus-pocus.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents FAIR PLAY (159 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22..31~32~33 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL