The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Inconsistent quality of stripper decks from Penguin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

firebrand
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of firebrand
Hi guys Smile

I was just wondering if anyone encountered a similar case of badly made stripper decks from Penguin Magic...

A few weeks back, I purchased two blue stripper decks from Penguin magic. When they arrived, the cards were very badly cut. The sides were so near the pips already... Furthermore, one of the corners was not even rounded... It was sharp still, freshly cut. I suppose someone forgot to touch up, but even so, the sides were cut way too much. A little deeper and the number n suit would be "eaten" off...

I emailed them and they were actually kind enough to replace. However, the new ones which came, had an unrounded corner AGAIN... The corner is sharp, like you had just trimmed the sides off without rounding it up. I have contacted Penguin customer support but no one is responding anymore. I don't have a card rounder, so it's really a hassle Smile

I'm just kind of surprised and disappointed Penguin stopped responding, and also, the quality of these stripper decks are so inconsistent... I never knew they were self produced by penguin magic, but even so, the maker could have checked more carefully.

Does anyone encounter something like this? Kind of wasted to dump the decks ... But I'm kinda not sure wat to do with them as well...

Many thanks for your sharing,
Danny
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
I wasn't aware that Penguin produced any stripper decks. What brand did you purchase? If you are concerned about uneven margins on the back design, Card-Shark has a clever solution with their Phoenix stripper deck but at twice the price.
firebrand
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of firebrand
Actually I didn't know too... There was no brand... I just purchased two stripper decks under the, well, stripper deck purchase option.
When they came, it wasn't of any brand. Just regular bicycles with no instruction sheet. Most likely someone cut them manually...

Personally I'm ok if it's "hand made", but the corner and cutting is really bad. I don't think anyone could use it professionally... I mean, its corner is not even properly rounded... How do you even sell something like that...

Thanks for the advice on the phoenix. Appreciate it
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
On the bottom of the tuck box, does it have anything besides a bicycle or USPCC trademark?
firebrand
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of firebrand
Yes it has uspcc. It's a standard size standard face blue bicycle deck. Sorry if I wasn't clear... Wat I meant was it's not made by any company in general, like say, Magic Makers, Card shark etc...

Anyway still no response from Penguin magic. I guess I give up... Pretty strange case... Oh well...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I am sure Penguin buys them by the gross from USPCC. I used to all the time when I pitched strippers & svens. The quality is always hit and miss just like the borders being off (in a regular deck) by so much you can almost use them as a one-way deck. that's just how they come. Even when I cut my own, I have to be careful of choosing a deck with good borders.

Your best bet as stated above is to try one from Card-Shark (Phoenix Brand) He just started producing them where the artwork is tweeked to offset with the cut border. Top Quality stuff (as well as his entire line of Phoenix Brand cards) http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=117

Better than the decks I cut myself Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, firebrand wrote:
Yes it has uspcc. It's a standard size standard face blue bicycle deck. Sorry if I wasn't clear... Wat I meant was it's not made by any company in general, like say, Magic Makers, Card shark etc...

Anyway still no response from Penguin magic. I guess I give up... Pretty strange case... Oh well...

I asked because Penguin sells several brands of strippers including Royal. I have a Magic Makers USPCC stripper deck in my collection and it is descent, certainly not what you have described. The tuck box is not as good as Bicycle USPCC decks and it is hard to get the cards out smoothly. I also have strippers from David Blaine and Dan and Dave which are slightly better quality. But they are not Rider backs.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I'm shocked. I have always gotten great service from Penguin, including returns.
firebrand
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of firebrand
Thank you for your advice everyone, I really appreciate it.

Gomerel, I'm surprised too... I always buy things from them and their service usually known to be good, but this time, it's just weird... But also becos it's a "small" item, I guess they don't really bother...

Il try some other brand like phoenix. Thank you LesL and Poof Daddy
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I just got my deck in the mail today from Card-Shark and I AM FLOORED. I know the quality of his stuff is top notch but this stripper deck is above and beyond. When I opened it and pulled out the cards, I actually thought it was a mis-labled regular deck. Then I popped the aces around and realized that this stripper deck really looks that good. I will have a lot of fun with this little gem. You wont go wrong, I assure you. For a little (or a lot) more info on why I made the switch to Phoenix Brand overall (and some other veiwpoints of it) http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

I also picked up the Card-Shark Limited Edition Chrome Shepra Pen and it is really cool. elegant, classy, professional... just a better set of clothing for a regular old sharpie. There are many options on the site but I liked this because it is a limited run and you can use it as a shiner. (and I must say it does work as one).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I also just bought a Card Shark stripper. I already love Phoenix cards and use them instead of bikes. Although I have been using the black NOCs, love them too.
This deck is a dream. The cuts are so precise its easy to do oil and water. Card Shark is the go to card maker hands down! Totally worth the money.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Bowevil
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Bowevil
Here is the link to the Card Shark stripper decks: http://www.card-shark.de/iphone/itemlist......Stripper
I would not have thought to look in the parlor category for stripper decks.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago from Penguin. Got the first deck, it was cut just too much. They sent me another one which was a nice thing to do, but it was the same, if not worse, than the first deck. That's the only issue I had with penguin in over 120 orders.
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of hbenod
The quality of the Card Shark "Phoenix Decks" I've gotten are excellent. There is no offset noticeable in the backs as the card design is tweaked in order to keep with the illusion. If you want stripper or short card, get the Phoenix decks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Inconsistent quality of stripper decks from Penguin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL