The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Harry Robson's Roughing Stick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I just ordered this stick for normal playing cards since I have nothing to lose in trying it out. These sticks got rave reviews on Penguin.

But has anyone tried using these sticks yet with the Phoenix Double Decker Ultra Thin Cards? I'm really interested in knowing the outcome. Specifically, does it make the cards thicker than the spray, or change the feel or handling any compared to roughing fluid? I know I can't go wrong with the spray sold by Card Shark or Vanishing Inc, or by going with Krylon 1311 spray from a local hardware store. But this stick sounds great if it actually gets the job done on the ultra thin cards and works as good or better than the spray.

Bottom line, I would rather suffer with the smell, mess and headache of using spray than settle for lesser quality just out of convenience, especially if I'm going to be treating cards that cost $50-$80 a pop!

- Gary
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have used these sticks on many different types of cards (but not phoenix) and they have worked well even on the cheapest cards. The main thing is not to apply too much, one pass is all that's needed.
I can't say I have noticed any difference in handling, one deck became nearly impossible to separate I was making an ID, but that was because I put way to much on. Hope that helps.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Thanks for the feedback George. Your comments certainly validate many positive reviews I've read elsewhere, and your suggestion to avoid applying too much is definitely helpful.

Hopefully, someone out there has applied the stick to the Phoenix Double Decker cards and can chime in as well, since that is the only way I'll truly have peace of mind. These cards are ultra thin and therefore may be impacted very differently than traditional cards by anything put on them. Not to mention the importance of maintaining minimal density since that's why we pay over six times more money for these specialty decks.

- Gary
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWM-tfPxN6k
the whole episode is great but the roughing tests start at about 4:40 Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
spiltrap
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of spiltrap
Spray has worked best for me.
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Tested this out, it works brilliantly!
Here is my review:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com/roughing-......inc.html

Enjoy!
James
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Harry Robson's Roughing Stick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL