The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How do you explain your ability to escape restraints if asked? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2014, Steve_Mollett wrote:
I've seldom been asked, but my stock answer is:

"The study of locks, restraints, mechanical engineering, physiology and LOTS of PRACTICE. Every form of restraint has a potential weak point--if you can find it."

Nice... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I hope you let us know which one of these answeres you will be using in your act in the future.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2014, Steve_Mollett wrote:
I've seldom been asked, but my stock answer is:

"The study of locks, restraints, mechanical engineering, physiology and LOTS of PRACTICE. Every form of restraint has a potential weak point--if you can find it."

Great answer Steve, May I quote you in The Chainletter?

Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Excusing the pun: Feel Free.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Seems like there are two approaches and two types of mind-sets causing them.
1, people that are obsessed with defending their talent and have a need to live up to an image they aspire to. (Generally less successful ).
2. People that are successful and look past the small problem of being pigeon holed. They are not interested in what others think about and how to justify their existence.

The difference could be summed- up to a Stanislofsky principle "there are inners and there are outers". The inners do what it takes to make a dream come true because they imagine how others do it - and the outers assume (take on) the problem first then makes it happen. (Two opposite approaches)

The outers figure- out what to do to entertain the people -first- then figure out how.
The inners try to emulate what they've seen others do and present their performance based on learning the mechanics first then trying to manufacture a persona to fit the performance. It's the difference between an employee and the owner.

The entire question is really a theatrical question in the approach to acting a part.
An inner will torture themselves about "motivation" and is consumed weather they need to do it one way, or another, heaven forbid that someone might challenge them, as to their reason. In the back of their mind they are pretending to make the audience believe they have a special way, or special talent whereas they are actively hiding the fact that anyone can do it without practice.

The outer person realizes that the average person is only interested in what is happening and does not care where the idea comes from or that it's a stunt. They outer just does it because others like to watch and they know a safe way to present the act.

So this "motivation" question is a theatrical one and has nothing to do with how much ability or knowledge you have. As long as the escape is not lame, like being restrained where there is no challenge or danger . Then it's fair game. There is no escape when you are 100 pounds and using an extra large strait jacket... So the question of where do you get your supernatural powers, in a case like that, has no meaning, no effect and no legitimacy.

For those that never took an acting class, this is acting 101. Please consult you local acting workshop for additional lessons.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2014, Ian McColl wrote:
..and some now call him Brian........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krb2OdQksMc

And then there are thoes of us who know the true name .........

Ken "Brian" "Kondini" Dean

Cod amongst men

With so many great secrets (Not telling any of them here!)

.........A true man! but he's "not the Messiah .... just a very naughty boy".... or so they say.

Great part of the film Ian thanks for sharing!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
This guy has a cd for $30 which teaches removing handcuffs. doesn't say anything about packing crates, boxes or prison cell.
http://www.theencouragingword.org/removing-the-handcuffs
Don't know if it would work on foreign made cuffs.
It's cheaper than Dooley's box set.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Alayyyyyyylooooooooyaaaaaa brother may the force be with you. Amen !!!!!!!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Cheers Ken, not as good as MP but still tickles the funny bones.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How do you explain your ability to escape restraints if asked? (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL