The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chris Philpott's Babel (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
We all know 100th Monkey, well Chris has done it again: Babel. Three brand new effects using the 100th Monkey Principle.

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=28426

Watch the video and read the ad copy on the link above. Working on getting an ETA date for this new preorder, for now this is all I have, but I can tell you I am already excited about it.

Cole
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
Toll Free: 800-407-4040
www.hocus-pocus.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Http://youtu.be/-9x9VnN_Ojs

Awesome. I'm wondering if you need someone to confirm that they are speaking a different language, by someone who speaks the other language?
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Well in the video he does have someone google it on their phone, confirmation is there.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Looks good, it will be great for me as I live in a multinational tourism resort.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
You scooped me, Cole! Smile Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, my brand new DVD, Babel (a 100th Monkey release), is on sale now and shipping in a few days! It's available at my website ( http://www.magicaonline.com/Babel.htm ), or your favorite magic retailer. (Dealers can check out the Murphy's page here: http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=54838 ).

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgsxSLiJrlA

I'll answer some questions in a bit, but just wanted to post the blurb first:

"I love this!" -Cyril
"These effects are astoundingly good!" -Joshua Jay
"The One Ahead envelope ploy is very, very, very, very (did I say very?) ingenious!" -Banachek

Babel contains three new effects:
Babel: give someone the ability to read a foreign language!
One Monkey Ahead: "It will change the way you perform this classic method forever!" -Luca Volpe
Person, Place and Thing. And Monkey: Astral Projection and super clean mind-reading!

Plus, everyone who registers for Babel updates also gets The Murderous Monkey: a spectator chooses the only safe card from a set of poisons.

Note: you do NOT need the original 100th Monkey to perform these effects!

This 2-DVD set contains instructional video, gimmicked post cards, gimmicked envelopes, a pdf of written instructions and over 400 jpegs of gimmicked artworks that you can print at home in a variety of sizes.

Babel: your spectators can read words in one or several of these languages: Spanish, French, Greek, German, Italian, Russian, Danish, Filipino, Finnish and Swahili! The performer can ask someone to pull up Google translate on their phone to verify the results, use a translation dictionary, or ask people in the audience who speak that language. Xenoglossia (the ability to suddenly speak or read foreign languages) is an ancient miracle that even today is considered by the Catholic Church a proof of sainthood or demonic possession. A great follow-up to Speechless (in the original 100th Monkey): first take away someone’s ability to read, then give them the ability to read a foreign language!

One Monkey Ahead: a potentially game-changing take on the one-ahead principle that allows the performer to put their impressions in a clearly-labeled envelope, put it aside and never touch it again! There is a wide-array of variations including Mental Epic and 4th Dimensional Telepathy-style routines, two and three-word variations and envelope-less versions where the words are written on the back of labeled cards. Super clean and powerful mentalism!

Person, Place and Thing. And Monkey. The performer shows a set of labeled pictures, each with different place on them (Germany, Suburbs, Forest, College…). The spectator secretly chooses one and is asked to imagine that they are in that location and some object is in front of them. The performer describes an astral projection journey to this place which he not only describes in detail – but actually names the object the spectator is thinking of! (No fishing, nothing written down and no pre-show).

PLUS there’s a bonus effect for people who register for updates: The Murderous Monkey! The performer lays out ten cards with the words "Pick your poison" on the back. A spectator chooses one of the cards. The others are turned over to reveal each has the name of a different lethal poison. The spectator’s card is turned over to reveal it has the word "Cupcake" printed on it!

"I love this! I've used the 100th Monkey on TV to great success. There's so much that can be done with it! I look forward to using these effects in my repertoire in the future."
-Cyril

"Fantastic! The one ahead envelope ploy is very, very, very, very (did I say very?) ingenious. Lovely. Your work stands on itself and when that happens, rare..."
-Banachek

"Chris Philpott has done something rather remarkable, first with Hundredth Monkey and now with Babel: he has created a new methodological principle! These effects are astoundingly good, and the method allows you complete freedom and flexibility to focus on presentation. I am an enormous fan of this genre of effects and I look forward to all his latest developments."
-Joshua Jay

"The 100th Monkey Principle as a method is so unique. It feels like gateway to a whole new world of mental effects. It's been a while since I felt this excited about a method for mentalism."
-Ran Pink

"The 100th Monkey is not just a method; it's an adventure! You're going to want to run with these simian secrets."
- Max Maven

Note: these are English-language effects – they are not designed to give non-English speakers the ability to read English. While you can print any of the 400-plus cards in this set at home or at a print shop, this set does not include the ability to customize your own cards.

Thanks -- hope you guys like the new one!

-Chris
http://www.magicaonline.com/Babel.htm
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

To answer questions about Babel -- you can verify that these are the correct translations in several ways: ask someone to bring up Google translate on their phone (while you do the induction so there's no downtime), you can hand out a translation dictionary with correct words tabbed, or audience verification. If you live in a place with a lot of Spanish-speakers, or French-speakers, etc. you can do a version with cards from that language. If you are performing someplace where you might have people in your audience who speak a variety of languages (like a big city or a vacation destination) you can ask "Is there anyone here who speaks Spanish? How about French? German? Greek? and so on, and just use cards from that language.

I somehow left out a quote in the post above that I wanted to include:

"I was lucky to test these wonderful tools before release and they are absolutely ingenious! Working on a cruise ship I tried Babel with people from different countries – they were so entertained that the passengers kept on talking about it all week! But my favorite is One Monkey Ahead: it opens so many possibilities that it makes you crazy! This is something that will change the way you perform this classic method forever! If you want to add strong routines that pack incredibly flat and plays huge, this is the way to go!"
- Luca Volpe

Thanks, Luca!
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
Great info Chris, thank you for posting that. Sorry about the scoop, just wanted to get the info on here so people would know about your new product.
We have already had a few calls this morning about Babel here at Hocus Pocus. No doubt you have another winner here.

Cole
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
www.hocus-pocus.com
Kevin Li
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Kevin Li
This looks even better than the original 100th monkey effect in my opinion. Cannot wait to purchase this! Great job Chris!
"Be yourself and Stay original"
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Thank you, Li!

No worries, Cole -- thanks for supporting this!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I love that Chris Philpott is releasing brilliantly routined, mind-blowing effects that rely on innovative principles. This is what mentalism used to be about. Not the psychic reading, pendulum swinging, clear your chakras "real thing" nonsense that has started to pollute the art.

keep up the amazing work, Phil.
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
I love that Chris Philpott is releasing brilliantly routined, mind-blowing effects that rely on innovative principles. This is what mentalism used to be about. Not the psychic reading, pendulum swinging, clear your chakras "real thing" nonsense that has started to pollute the art.

keep up the amazing work, Phil.

Martin - you forgot the 20 question convoluted and/or mathematical confusing or transparent methods. Smile

Just trying to keep you on your toes my friend.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2014, Alwow wrote:

Martin - you forgot the 20 question convoluted and/or mathematical confusing or transparent methods. Smile

Just trying to keep you on your toes my friend.

Thanks Alwow. At least those are an attempt to create mentalism, however frequently they miss the target.

Anyway, sorry to shift the debate. Half an hour of reading the penny forum does things to the brain. Chris's material is terrific.
RobertMarsi
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of RobertMarsi
I did not hesitate to hit the PayPal button on this one. Chris' thinking is absolutely superb! An absolute genius!!!
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
Hey Chris,

What is the official release date on this?

Thanks,

Cole
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
www.hocus-pocus.com
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Thank you so much, Martin and Robert!

Hey Cole, we set the official release for December 4th. I shipped it to Murphy's on Wednesday so there will be no trouble making that date and a few of the pre-orders might even slip out the door a day or two early Smile .
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
This is an upgrade for current owners of 100th Monkey? Or a completely separate purchase?
It's all in the reflexes.
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
Thanks for the update Chris. I just had an email from a customer who was asking about Babel and I thought it was a good question. Hopefully you can answer it here so others know as well. The ad copy for babel says "Note: you do NOT need the original 100th Monkey to perform these effects!"
His question was does The Book of Monkeys contain any of the Babel information? Or is this new and the only way to get this material is by ordering Babel?

Thanks in advance and I hope you had a nice holiday.

Cole
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
www.hocus-pocus.com
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Hey Illucifer, this is not an upgrade to 100th Monkey – these are three entirely new effects. As Cole mentioned, you do not need the original 100th Monkey to perform these.

However, if you have 100th Monkey and want to buy this, you get a bonus effect! It’s called Identity, Essence and a Monkey and it applies the new one ahead technique to one of my favorite effects from my book Intimate Mysteries. Instructions on how to get this are in the 100th Monkey updates (if you haven’t signed up for those yet, you still can – see page 4 of the written instructions. And it doesn’t matter where or when you purchase either disk.)

Hey Cole – yes, the effects on the Babel DVD all first appeared in The Book of Monkeys (which is limited to 99 copies of which 89 are sold). The Book also contains the effects from the 100th Monkey disk and many more that I plan to release in the future.

The last 10 copies are only available on my own website, www.magicaonline.com . (Sorry, Cole.)

And yes, had a great holiday, thanks! Hope yours was awesome too!
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of Psy
I just want to get this clear. In my country everybody speaks spanish, will this work with them? Or will you be releasing different versions for different languages?
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Hey Psy, this effect is meant only for English speakers to be able to read other languages. I may release a multi-language version for this (like I did with the 100th Monkey), but I haven't made that decision yet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chris Philpott's Babel (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL