The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Great line for a Cups and Balls Routine! (If anyone would get it) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ZachDavenport
View Profile
Special user
Do you really think I'm dumb enough to tell you where I live?
544 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
The line is "Most people think that this trick originated in Egypt, but I think it originated on Gallifrey because as you can see the cups are bigger on the inside!" Then do the thing where you measure the inside and it is bigger. Nobody explain it, but just post if you get it or if you don't. And if you get it, do you think enough people would get it to put it in a routine?
Reality is a real killjoy.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Elite user
West of Boston, East of Eden
438 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Didn't get it. Had to Google the name.
MGordonB
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Maybe if you had a set of cups that looked like this...

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-......-656193/
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
21 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
I get it and think it would play well currently. Although I have an aversion to pop culture references, something like that thrown in in passing can be fun (the "in the know" catch it but there is a small enough pause/emphasis that others may just miss it completely)

Of course you could go the other way and whistle the theme or make sound effects when a ball transports from one cup to another...
silvercup
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of silvercup
No clue to meaning, don't se how it could hurt.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
712 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
I'm enough of a Dr Who fan to assume it is a Tardis reference, but I don't know what Gallifrey is.

I think for the vast majority of people it would be distracting, maybe even annoying ("what's that supposed to mean?").
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2014, cheesewrestler wrote:
I'm enough of a Dr Who fan to assume it is a Tardis reference, but I don't know what Gallifrey is.

I think for the vast majority of people it would be distracting, maybe even annoying ("what's that supposed to mean?").

Gallifrey is the Doctor's home planet.
ThePeregrine
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, AB, Canada
22 Posts

Profile of ThePeregrine
Maybe a better way of making a similar joke would be to make a time travel reference when the balls disappear from inside your hand, then reappear under the cups.....let the effect sink in and then quip that: "not surprising that they can move through time - after all the cups are bigger on the inside".
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. But not nearly so dangerous as no knowledge at all.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Coaster into
2155 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Why not go "all in" and get some really tall cups? Theme the rest of the patter around the show/books. At the end use a Dr Who action figure or a phone booth for a final load? Smile

I use large hard plastic insulated "red solo cups" (that you typically drink beer from), Mike Rogers baseballs and a 17" team bat (for a wand). Baseball themed patter and routine, 4 regular baseballs as finals.

You can make ANYTHING work if you put your mind to it.
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live

Smile Smile
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I don't want this to be a completely nerdy routine, because not enough people would appreciate it. I just thought it would be interesting for those who would. If I was going to make a completely Doctor Who routine though I could make the final load be all 12 doctors in order.
David Callis
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of David Callis
Lol awesome idea especially if you are performing at a Comic-Con.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
733 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
I got it immediately.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Great line for a Cups and Balls Routine! (If anyone would get it) (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.095699 seconds, requiring 44 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [6] [1] [1] [8] [6] [9] [3]