The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cannibal Cards bibliography: request for help (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Many years ago, when dinosaurs ruled the earth (1982 - 1984), I wrote a book on Lin Searles' Cannibal Cards plot. The manuscript was almost finished, a publisher was interested, and then my life went off in other directions, and the book ended up in a box, forgotten.

I found the manuscript recently, and, working through it, it seems to me to be worth reviving and working on.

The manuscript includes a bibliography of all the published methods I knew at the time. It was, I think, reasonably complete as of 1984 but I have no doubt at all that in the interim period more versions have been published, and I should know about them.

I've started to do some research on this, but it would be really great if members here could help me out. Attached is my current list. If you know of any Cannibal routines not here, please let me know, so I can (a) add them, and (b) study them. Partly I want to ensure I don't reprint anything which has been independently reinvented by others in the time since I first worked on the book, and partly I'm a completist nerd and like to know about this kind of stuff. Thanks in advance for any help.

The current list is:

Peter Biro/Alex Elmsley/Matt Corin/Ron Wilson, “The Cannibal Cards”, Kabbala, Vol. 1, #2, October 1971, pp. 15-16. Reprinted in Jon Racherbaumer's The Ascanio Spread, 1976, pp. 17-18.

David Britland, “A Fourth For Dinner”, Spellbinder, Vol. 2, #15, July 1982, pp. 283-285.

David Britland, “Flesh Eaters” (three methods), Cardopolis, 1983, pp. 15-18.

Gene Castillon, “Colourful Cannibals”, Kabbala Three, 1976, pp. 129-131.

Alex Elmsley, “Elmsley's Cannibals”, Epilogue Special #4, 1976, pp. 15-16.

Karl Fulves, “Captured”, Epilogue Special #4, 1976, pp. 14-15.

Karl Fulves, Kannibal Kards, 1975, a booklet detailing a gaffed version.

Ben Harris, “Snappy Cannibal”, The Magic Manuscript, Vol. 4, #2, 1982, pp. 20-21.

J.K. Hartman, “A La Card”, Means and Ends, 1973, p. 17.

Edward Hollins, “Pieces of Ate”, Card Magic Selfspoken, 1980, pp. 32-40.

Wesley James, “Cannibal Cards”, Epilogue Special #4, 1976, pp. 3-7.

Rick Johnson, “Cannibal Cards”, The Linking Ring, Vol. 55, #6, June 1975, pp. 62-64.

Danny Korem, “Dessert”, The Lost Pages of the Kabbala, 1981, p. 50.

Walt Lees, The Complete Walt Lees Cannibal Act, 1981.

Dan MacMillan, “A Slew of Cannibal Moves”, in Ken Simmons, Close Up With Cards, 1981, pp. 54-64.

Edward Marlo, “Cannibal Cards”, The Linking Ring, Vol. 55, #2, February 1975, and Vol. 55, #4, April 1975.

Edward Marlo, “A Slew of Cannibals”, Marlo's Magazine, Vol. 2, 1977, pp. 1-3.

Edward Marlo, “Cannibals – Cannibals”, Marlo's Magazine, Vol. 2, 1977, pp. 6-10.

Edward Marlo, “Vitamin Cannibals”, The Magic Manuscript, Vol. 4, #2, 1982, pp. 21-23.

Gene Maze and Richard Kaufman, “On the Munch, or Eating Out”, The Gene Maze Card Book, 1980, pp. 60-62.

John Mendoza, “Missionaries' Revenge”, John: Verse Two, 1980, pp. 4-14.

Jon Racherbaumer, “Real Gone Missionaries”, Kabbala Three, 1976, pp. 131-135.

Jon Racherbaumer, “The Uncanny Cannibals”, The Lost Pages of the Kabbala, 1981, pp. 51-53.

Jon Racherbaumer, “Canned Cannibals”, The Lost Pages of the Kabbala, 1981, pp. 53-54.

Jean-Jacques Sanvert, “Cannibals, French Style”, The Lost Pages of the Kabbala, 1981, pp. 47-49.

Lin Searles, “The Cannibal Cards”, marketed in 1959 by Owen Brothers, and the origination of the effect.

Lin Searles, “Cannibal Jacks”, The Pallbearer's Review 8th Folio, Autumn 1973, pp. 669-670.

Lin Searles, “More Cannibals”, The Pallbearer's Review 8th Folio, Autumn 1973, p. 673.

Dave Solomon, “Women's Cannibal Liberation”, Marlo's Magazine, Vol. 2, 1977, pp. 3-5.

Stephen Tucker, “Converted Cannibals”, Spellbinder, Vol. 1, #12, April 1982.

Stephen Tucker, “Cannibalism”, Spellbinder, Vol. 2, #14, June 1982.

Robert Walker, “Fit For A King”, Tricks From The Tree, 1980, pp. 9-15.

Roy Walton, “The Cannibal Cards” (two methods), The Devil's Playthings, 1969, pp. 36-37.

Roy Walton, “Return of the Cannibals”, Card Script, 1973, pp. 42-47.
alicauchy
View Profile
Loyal user
Málaga, Spain
269 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
I have read something on cannibal cards by Woody Aragón, wait a minute . . .

Yes, "Examinable cannibals" in "A book in English" pg 219-230, 2011.

Good luck with the new/old project.
So much to do, so little time . . .
MorrisCH
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Why not take a look at Dennis Behr Archive

http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?sea......ght=2809

some great routine here
and thanks for the list
AaronSterling
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Not in the Archive:

Marlo, Sick Cannibals, Card Magic of Edward Marlo
Peter Duffie, Dearly Departed, Card Compulsions

Perhaps the biggest weakness in the Behr Archive is that it isn't good at recording material that has gone straight to DVD. For example, Peter Pellikaan, Cannibals. Also, not sure if published, but Jack Carpenter has a handling of the Duffie trick on his YT channel.

EDIT: Looks as though Sick Cannibals might be in the list, at least a trick by the same name appeared in a publication I don't have.
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
One of the best Cannibal routines is in "Professional Close-Up of Curtis Kam - Deceptions in Paradise" "Kamnibal Cards: Cannibal Cards with a happy ending; no gaffs" pub. 1996. Curtis performs and explains it also in his recent Penguin Magic lecture.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3865 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Cannibal By Kevin Reylek
Effin Cannibals By Paul Gordon
Cancer Sux

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2051 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Sounds like a really cool project! I've sent you a PM.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Brilliant stuff, you're giving me lots of great leads. Thanks all.
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Massive thanks to Kevin for his contribution. Kevin, will PM you tomorrow when I've had a chance to look at it.
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
I like the Curtis Kam routine, based on seeing someone else do it in a YouTube clip. That's a really strong handling.
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Kevin's Cannibal routine is also really strong, although again, so far I've only been able to watch a YouTube clip of someone else doing it.
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
703 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Check out Stephen Minch's hilarious interpretation, "Anthropophagic Jacks." You can find it in his Creations of a Magical Madman: A Theater of the Absurd for the Close-up Performer (Related in a Left-handed Manner) (1977).
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2569 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
A version from my book, Top Secret Stuff pp. 87-89 "A CASE of Indigestion."

Also, Cannibal Holocaust" from Darwin Ortiz's Scams and Fantasies with Cards. Darwin's credits: "The Cannibal Cards plot was created by Lynn Searles. The vanish sequence I use in this routine is based on the one from Mike Powers' "A CASE of Indigestion," Top Secret Stuff, pp. 87-90.

Mike
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Thanks Mike. Is your book available as an ebook?
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Cameron, looks like Minch's book is hard to get hold of, but also looks like a book worth having. Also sounds like Bill Goodwin's version in his 1988 lecture notes is one I definitely have to track down. Anyone have a copy to sell?
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
703 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Here are some more leads for you that I don't see on this thread or in Denis Behr's archive...

Bob Stencel, "Cannibal Cards", The Pallbearers Review, Vol. 8 No. 2, December 1972, pp. 573, 577-578
Jon Racherbaumer, "The Uncanny Cannibals", The Conjurer, Vol. 1 No. 7, 1975, pp. 6-7, 15
Peter Duffie, "Cannibal Land", Pabular, Vol. 3 No. 11, July 1977
Jose Carroll, "Cannibals!", Effects and Presentations, 1983
Max Maven, "Choice Flesh", Richard's Almanac, No. 20, April 1984, pp. 188-189
Edward Marlo, "Return of The Cannibals", Daniel McCarthey's Suedes and Shades, 1984, pp. 30-31
Chris Kenner, "The Overstuffed Cannibals", John Mendoza's The Right Stuff: The Magic of Chris Kenner, 1985, pp. 6-8
Justin Higham, "What's Eating You?", Apocalypse, Vol. 11 No. 2, February 1988, pp. 1463-1464
Ariel Frailich, "The Cannibals and the Witch Doctor", Card Stories, 1996, pp. 46-51
David Solomon, "Cannibals", Eugene Burger's Solomon's Mind: The Card Mysteries of David Solomon, 1997
Joel Givens, "Hungry Cannibals", Joshua Jay's Session: The Magic of Joel Givens, 2007, pp. 187-194
Bruce Cervon, "Kanabial", Bruce Cervon's Castle Notebooks Volume 2, 2008, pp. 259-261
Dai Vernon, "Kanibal Trick II", Bruce Cervon's Castle Notebooks Volume 4, 2009, pp. 233-234
Paul Gordon, "Squeaky-Clean Cannibals", The Unplanned Card Book, 2009, pp. 125-127
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1624 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
John Caluwaert's Kaluwaert's Kannibal Kings - Jason Alford's Cyber Sessions, pp. 109-110. Not a trick, a presentation for The Dance of the Cannibals.

The search continues...

ETA:

Pete Biro, The Cannibal Cards - Jon Racherbaumber's The Ascanio Spread, pp. 17-18.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5280 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Gary Ouellet- "Maneater", Close-up Illusions.
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Thanks again. I have a few weeks of research ahead of me here...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cannibal Cards bibliography: request for help (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL