The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Performing for friends and family is WEIRD. (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
theocreswell
View Profile
New user
Surrey, UK
61 Posts

Profile of theocreswell
They may not be enjoyable, but they are so useful. They are badly behaved and don't listen, they pick apart what you are doing, they don't react, but they are honest. My family have seen all my magic and can compare the good and the bad. Ultimately they can only make you better so why not?

I think you can get a good reaction from friends as long as you have the shock factor and you seem excited yourself. Magic that has very little method is great too, they seem to get bored by anything that isn't totally streamlined.

Interesting topic!
-T
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1850 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Best reactions always come from strangers.

The performing environment for hobbyists and professionals is so vastly different that I often think that they have very little performing advice to give to each other, much like the difference between those who perform for laypeople and those who perform for magi. Whole different ball of wax.

For example, the patter that is presented as essential for the worker is often a bad move for the hobbyist performing for those who know him well - entirely different presentational styles are required. And the limitations are different too. The worker has to worry about stuff like dress, angles, lighting and projecting from a stage; the hobbyist has to worry about the inevitable examination of props and uncooperative or highly antagonistic spectators. The whole thing requires different tricks, different techniques, different patter, different style. I wish there were more books written for the 'modern real world amateur' rather than a lot of stuff being aimed at the 'working professional'. Smile

Nor am I convinced that the different environment is useful in helping you develop your magic. Not only does it not translate into the working environment, but nor is it good for developing the self-confidence you need as a performer. I'm probably recommend that beginners steer clear of family and close friends for quite some time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Performing for friends and family is WEIRD. (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL