The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » Clowning (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Well, I guess I've joined the ranks too now. Just been to a fancy dress party dressed as a clown, entertained the kids with few tricks and whatnot. One of the parents has asked me to do their child's birthday party, paid gig too! Smile Smile Got my first birthday party on Friday, a friend who's turning six.

What's the deal with the white face and the auguste clowns? What's the difference apart from the makeup? I did the whole white face because I didn't know there was another way but I think I'll stick to it, just because it looked good.

Paul
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
There are different types of clowns.

Here is a pretty good reference on clown types.

Here is a link for History as well as a wealth of information on clowning. Welcome to our family.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2002-06-22 16:06, professorpopcorn wrote:
Hey Rob

I'm a magical Clown from England. I'm a long term proud member of Clowns International.

I sometimes get the feeling that 'legit' magicians don't look too kindly at us lowly clowns but I've seen little evidence of that in this place.

The trouble with being a clown is that no one takes you seriously!!! Smile

Is it true cannibals won't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Seriously, I have nothing but respect for anyone who can pull off proper clowning! I've seen too many cases of people thinking; "I've got the make up, I've got the funny clothes, I'm a clown!" And they're not.

I had a restaurant job for a month or so before management decided a waitress (whom they were already paying) dressed as a clown would be fine. She wasn't. I actually suggested a book for her at the library but her attitude was; "I get paid the same minimum wage whether I just stand here, smile and hand out balloons or whether I actually make an effort to be good! Do the math!" She was actually a nice person... she just wasn't "clown" material! Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Hi,

I think you can count me as a clown. I haven't worn a clown costume for many many times, but I love to be a clown. Actually I'm a ventriloquist who uses magic, balloon twisting, origami, juggling and so on. Smile

We don't have a lot of "make up" clowns here, in Indonesia. Most of them use clown masks. But I use make up and I think I'm an Auguste. I try to learn clown make up from USA books. And I hope you can help me too.

My clown name is Bubu (boo-boo). But I realized, when I went to USA, that Bubu means hurt for USA kids. Should I change my clown name? What do you think?

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha a.k.a. Bubu
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Welcome to our ring. Clown names are quite personal as are the stories behind them. A name like "boo-boo" can have multiple meanings, peek-a-boo-boo for instance.

Make-up schemes vary by region and also range from the quite simple to very elaborate. My links above should give you a pretty good reference points to start with.

Click Click here to highlight the referenced post.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Thanks for your welcome and thought.
And thanks for the link also!

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
You're most welcome. Smile
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Hello clowns,
The Circus Inferno Show from NYC performed at our Center for the Arts today. Preshow, my sons juggled, while I gave lessons. We set up a display table of juggling gear. We promoted our up coming Juggling Festival. We were then given very good seats and were told they were starting in the audience near us and sure enough my boys were covered with popcorn. The show is very good a LOT of slap stick I'll bet they are sore after the show! The show is all physical comedy and pyro timed very well with sound effects and music.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
Giday to you all. Please count me in.

Troppo Bob comes in 2 styles.

Most of the time he is performing at venues where the primary audience is children and on most occassions is booked as Troppo Bob the magical Clown with painted face and colorfull overalls and baseball cap with propellor on top. This Troppo Bob is into entertaining with juggling, ventriloquism, clown oriented magical routines, performing animals and ballon sculptures.

At other times he presents in black clothing with a sports jacket and is introduced as Troppo Bob the Magician. This bloke looks more serious but that clown is still eager to make a contribution.

I will come back to this paddock and check out the other topics.

Troppo Bob

Smile Smile Smile Smile
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Welcome to the CLUB. (There's a little bit of clown in everyone.)
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
I'm a clown!

I saw this post a while ago but wanted to wait until I got my picture up. I've performed juggling, stilt walking and balloon animals for years. I joined a balloon twisting company several months ago to suppliment my income. The manager said that several of the balloon artists had also started doing some table magic. I had done some prop magic for years but had never messed with slight of hand magic. I started out by dusting off my old sponge balls and getting a few videos. I've had the most amazing time since then learning new things.
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Spazzo The Clown was born back in 1980. It happened by 'accident', but the ride has always been fun. My agent needed a clown, so Brad the Magic Clown came about. When I got tired of working for folks who were ignorant, I designed my own costume, aksed a friend's mother to make it, then told the agent (family) where to get off, and Spazzo was born. He has performed on three continents, most notably gaining some small amount of local exposure in Northern Japan, while living there in the late 1990's.

He doesn't come out to play so much these days, as JesterMan has become my main character. He is just about as silly, but without the running children. I miss the pictures taken on the highway from people in the car next to 'me' (Spazzo), but I believe that I am using the same heart for both characters.

The shift has been primarily a logistical one, as I grow into a full-time entertainer. I can shift from 'less colorful' magician, to JesterMan, and then into Santa, Easter Bunny, or back to less colorful magi much faster than I can if Spazzo's show is in the middle, with the added time to get into, and out of character.

Still, there are some things that happen to 'you' as a clown that even being a modern jester doesn't give you... like being (almost) without color/race, being neither male nor female (in some viewer's minds, even though I have a mustache under the white), and the occasional hug from someone who's heart was touched by the clown. Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
It's really good to have both of you with us. Smile
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
Welcome all the new guys here. Rob you threw me for a loop with the change of your picture.
Michael
Jazzy the Clown
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
A little change once in a while....buys bubble gum. Smile
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
Count me in
For kids I have a magical clown as well as my normal show
Smile
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Hello all! Just joined the site today. Buster the Clown from NW Indiana. I've been clowning for four years now. I use magic and juggling in my act. I am also a licensed mental health therapist. I don't know which one is sillier but I know which is more rewarding! Smile
Magic Clown
View Profile
New user
Kissimmee, FL
14 Posts

Profile of Magic Clown
Hello all you fellow Joeys,

I'm new to the Café and I'm also a performing clown.

I do a stage show as well as close-up.
I also do basic balloons and I juggle balls, rings & clubs.

Anyone here from the Orlando, FL area?
Donald Carpenter
Fuzzy the Magic Clown
Professional Magic Clown

www.magicandsmiles.com
Show Them the Magic and Watch Them Smile
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of The Wonder Company
Me too. no Paint, just nose. Ala Avner Eisenberg, I've studied clowning & comedy my whole life with lots of different people. Currently performing magic, and and comedy all over the New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey area. anyone in my neck of the woods want to put together a night club act?
- Max Darwin Smile
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Welcome to all of you. It's great to see such gathering of magical clowns.

:clown:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » Clowning (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL