The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Ukulele Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of MERose
I've been playing the ukulele for a couple years and only took it up as a fun way to relax, never intended to play it in public. But I've been thinking lately about incorporating it into my stand-up show. I perform comedy and I think the instrument would be an interesting addition to the show. I know that John Archer has used a ukulele in his act, but as far as I can tell he doesn't use it for a magic trick, just a fun interlude. So my question is how could it be incorporated into a magic routine? Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Mike
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of MERose
I guess this is a little too odd of an idea since nobody has chimed in! I have a couple ideas that would combine the ukulele with magic but was hoping for some fresh ideas from the forum. Feel free to post any ideas, regardless of how absurd they may be.

Thanks!

Mike
Hudson892
View Profile
Regular user
Sheffield, UK
103 Posts

Profile of Hudson892
Hi Mike!
I've always loved music in magic and I think that the two go together wonderfully. Have you ever seen a man called Oliver Dobson perform? He did magic with violins and doves which was one of the best stage acts I've ever seen. Can't seem to find him anywhere though...

In terms of ideas, I've always liked the idea of first playing an instrument before 'removing' the sound from it. Then when the instrument is played again, no sound comes out. Then, the music starts playing from another object like a table or even from your mouth. You'd obviously need some kind of sound device on tour person that could be activated, but it's just an idea!
Hope this helps,
Toby
Magic Man 997
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Magic Man 997
If you have a seance gimmick you could levitate your ukulele, that'd be a pretty cool effect. Depending on staging conditions I can think of a way to make it appear.
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of MERose
Thanks for your input. I'll tell you what I had come up with. I was thinking of making it a double prediction. Spectator chooses an instrument from a bunch of cards with photos of different instruments. I pull a cloth away and reveal the ukulele. They show their card and it matches. Then force a song from a list of songs and play the tune on the ukulele before they reveal the chosen song. Basically just two forces.

Mike
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have been playing uke for about 7 years or so.

Instead of a traditional strap I use a tie.

Also since I have a tie, I have both hands free to:

A. produce a coin
B. Multiply the coin
C. Use a coin as a pic
D. Change coin into pic

I use this pic because I felt like it.

I use the uke as a puppet
A. with a flat vent mask that opens and closes
B. I also add googly eyes with the vent mask on the back of the uke.

Sometimes I start the routine by changing a pic to a sponge ball, then do sponges to mouth and sponges from mouth.

I can go from kiddie tunes to Hendrix doing the Star Spangled Banner on my Electric Tenor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0k-pB1Se6g

Harris
MuGician
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of MERose
I assume you don't set your uke on fire at the end!
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
For the worlds greastest bit with a ukulele go here and watch The Great Kaplan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeN-ujhTgIw
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of MERose
Great!
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
162 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
Seems obvious, but use it instead of a wand
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of MERose
Hmmm, ukulele wand. Something to think about!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Tonight I am borrowing a Banjole for a couple of weeks.

That is a ukulele with a banjo sound.

It's a prop that has been on my comedy prop possible purchase list.

It could be used in a dueling magicians routine. with the tune being of course Dueling Banjos.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of MERose
I've never played a banjole but I do have a resonator uke. If you did a dueling routine you'd need another performer. Although it could be funny if you dueled with yourself.

Mike
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Being a ventriloquist, and his uke has a mouth, he could duel the instrument.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
425 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Color changing ukulele...

JasperLee
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of JasperLee
This reminds me of a close up performance by Michael Jordon for an IBM competition. It was on youtube a while ago, but it seems like all his videos were removed since.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Get a PK Block and talk about how you can find the resonant frequency of objects to make them physically react. Place the block on the table play a few cords and let the block do its thing.

http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=50898

Do a liquid transformation trick where you explain that there is some research showing that sound can be used for water purification where a high pitch sound can create bubbles which abruptly collapse which releases energy that has destructive potential which destroys contaminants.

Do a mind reading demonstration, use a blindfold and explain that Sound waves reflect off different materials differently (when the reflections are collected, they can provide information and images).This is the fundamental science behind things like ultrasounds at hospitals and aircraft sonar, continue by doing an experiment using this theory with your Ukulele.

Magically

Aus
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, Dr SH wrote:
Color changing ukulele...

This looks very cool.
it also interesting to have yourself levitated while playing the ukulele.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I think Hector Mancha has a DVD out called My Silly Tricks.I think he had some ukulele stuff on it.
Elrondo
View Profile
New user
Germany
42 Posts

Profile of Elrondo
Hi Mike

Im glad I stumbled over your thread.
I'm also thinking about using a ukulele
for some tricks. Even for kids it's often much fun if you add a little music to your performance.

I been thinking about using one ukulele to produce something by adding a kind of door to one of my ukes.

Or how about a levitating uke?

My other idea was to do a"growing ukulele" routine. I own one of the tiniest playable ukes. Watch https://youtu.be/Tv0N65KZAWE

Its in german but you get an impression of the size.

That's it for now.

Regards
Elrondo
Knock knock...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Ukulele Magic (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL