The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Copper/Silver/Brass coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
127 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi all, I'm looking for a set of CSB, and was wondering if there are any recommendations? Ideally I'd like a set that can be shown without the shall being seen from the underside.

I did see some lovely sets on the Todd Lassen site, however I can't seem to get any response when I try to contact him at all. Any other good places to look? Thanks.
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Not a belief - An Experience!
manreb
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of manreb
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, WKM wrote:
Hi all, I'm looking for a set of CSB, and was wondering if there are any recommendations? Ideally I'd like a set that can be shown without the shall being seen from the underside.

I did see some lovely sets on the Todd Lassen site, however I can't seem to get any response when I try to contact him at all. Any other good places to look? Thanks.

Two things, the first is wahat do you mean by "I'd like a set that can be shown without the shall being seen from the underside."

The Second is the best way to reach Todd is by telephone, he is responsive to email or through his blog. Be patient, busy man.
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
127 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi.

I mean that I would like to be able to show it from the underside without the shell being visible.

I am based in the UK, and I messaged him over a week ago, but no response at all. Is there anywhere else I can look?
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
1325 Posts

Profile of videoman
If I understand you correctly, you would like something other than a Chinese coin with a hole?
What size coin were you looking for?
Tango makes some sets in Euros and other coins that may work for you.
Other than that you are pretty much left with the custom guys such as Kueppers, Lassen, Schoolcraft, Belmont, etc.
Johnson makes a pretty nice set but you can't show the underside when nested.
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
127 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi, yes I want a Chinese coin, but I want to be able to show say the copper or silver side when nested, so that I can do so cleanly.

I will check the other sites. Thanks
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
3962 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
With my Lassen Solid C.S.B. Set I can show the silver side when the set is nested! Smile Or the brass side when nested or not!
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1107 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I'm not sure what you're asking for can be done with a traditional CSB set.
Typically the copper side is only shown when unnested, and the silver when nested. You could show the Chinese side when nested if you cover the hole.

Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, WKM wrote:
Hi, yes I want a Chinese coin, but I want to be able to show say the copper or silver side when nested, so that I can do so cleanly.

I will check the other sites. Thanks
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
3962 Posts

Well I can't Show The Under side Of the Brass when unnested ! But As Al Baker Said back in 1943 " Don't run when nobody Is Chasing you!!! " Smile
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
127 Posts

Profile of WKM
Sorry I'm confused. I'm looking for a copper/silver coin with a Chinese shell. So that when nested, I can show the Chinese or the other side. Thanks
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
3962 Posts

Sorry I thought you where looking For a C.S.B. Set.! That's what you said in your 1 St. post " Hi all, I'm looking for a set of CSB,"
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3586 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I'm not sure the OP quite understands what is meant by CSB, David!

If you nest a coin inside a Chinese shell (with a hole in it) then it's not gonna look right from one side at least. This whole thread is a bit confusing. Is it a fishing trip, d'ya think?
"Jazz is an accident waiting to have happened."

David St. Hubbins
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
3962 Posts

Yea Yet's Hope That nobody Makes A Bass Out of them self! Smile ( that's a joke son! )
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3586 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Smile

David St. Hubbins
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
314 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi WKM

I have PM'd you.

All the best

Michael
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
127 Posts

Profile of WKM
Mike, its Liam. Smile

Sorry guys perhaps I wasn't clear..... But this is no "fishing trip"

Have any of you seen Catch up?

In it he is using a Copper Silver, with a Chinese shell. I may be wrong but this would therefore constitute a CSB? Please correct me if this actually means something else?

So in short, I want to be able to nest them, shell down, without it being obvious that there is a shell there......
The spectator would see a coin, not a gimmick.....

Thanks.
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
3962 Posts

The Copper/Silver Coin In a C.S. B. Is cut down So if fits better, and so you can show the silver side Of The nested Set and have it look good! Smile
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
127 Posts

Profile of WKM
Awesome..... So..... Where can I get one?

I've now sent four emails to Todd Lassen, and not so much as an acknowledgement. Disappointed.

I have followed up on Roy Kueppers, and he's been very communicative, but alas not quite what I'm looking for, I would prefer something which is natural looking and perhaps not so commercial. The Chinese coins were in bright colours....

Any others???
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Nightcrawler
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Nightcrawler
@WKM: Yes, Roy is very cummunicative and friendly as long as he is expecting your order. As soon as you paid, he doesn't answer anymore.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
3962 Posts

Yea Todd get's About 200 E-Mail's A day!He is a one man show! So --- He's always WAY behind on his E-Mail's! The Best way To get a hold of him Of is to call him! If you don't have His Number It's : 303-776-7962 ! Myself I would Get A Solid C.S.B. There is so much More you can do with it !
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1107 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
1325 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
Johnson makes a nice set. http://www.johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop......ts_id=26

I would second Johnson's.
Oh wait, I already "first-ed" them way back in the second reply to this thread.

So do I have this straight, the OP's desire all along is to find a CSB that behaves exactly the way every standard set does?
If your knowledge and experience with this gaff is so limited, are you really ready to drop the change that a Lassen gaff will cost you?
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
127 Posts

Profile of WKM
Videoman, your first reply was making an incorrect assumption, that I wanted a Chinese coin without a hole. Or did I read that wrong..... Oh wait....

"If I understand you correctly, you would like something other than a Chinese coin with a hole?"

So you were in fact recommending something that you had assumed that I didn't want?? Why would you do that? No matter. My question was somewhat specific and is now answered, thank you all.

Your most recent reply also comes across as somewhat derogatory. It is none if your business if I am ready to "drop the change" that a Lassen set would cost and while I appreciate that this particular gaff may be somewhat new in its specific material makeup to me, hence my question, I have practised and performed coin sleights for over 20 years using shells, C/S and a wide variety of other gaffs. I would therefore appreciate your assumptive, derogatory, and self serving comments posted elsewhere, and not I'm my general direction. Thanks.
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1107 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, WKM wrote:
So you were in fact recommending something that you had assumed that I didn't want?? Why would you do that?

Because in your original description of what you wanted, you said:

Quote:
Ideally I'd like a set that can be shown without the shall being seen from the underside.

And...

Quote:
I mean that I would like to be able to show it from the underside without the shell being visible.

I'm *STILL* not sure what exactly you meant by that, but given that when nested a CSB set is generally only shown from the non-chinese side (in the johnson case, as a 1/2 dollar), displaying the "underside" would mean showing the Chinese coin, and you can't freely/cleanly do that if the Chinese coin (shell) has a hole in it because the copper side of the insert will be visible through the hole. In that regard, Videoman's suggestion that you were looking for a set without a hole -- a type that you usually have to get from a custom maker like Lassen -- was perfectly reasonable. His suggestion of Johnson also came with a caveat:

Quote:
Johnson makes a pretty nice set but you can't show the underside when nested.

Since you said *IDEALLY* you wanted to be able to show it from the underside (whatever that meant), so it wasn't a hard requirement.
He was simply pointing out a nice set (Johnson), but trying to ensure that you understood that it didn't meet your "IDEAL" preference.

No disrespect intended, but 20 years of practicing or performing aside, your initial request and confusing attempts at clarification presented you to us as someone "with limited knowledge of this gaff".

I'm glad you believe you got your question answered, but as I said above, I'm still not quite sure what it was.
It's one thing to know that yes, Hein's "Catch Up" uses a CSB set, but quite another to know what this meant:

Quote:
So in short, I want to be able to nest them, shell down, without it being obvious that there is a shell there......
The spectator would see a coin, not a gimmick.....

What does "shell down" mean?

You also stated:

Quote:

But that CANNOT be done with a CSB set. Depending on how it's made, only one of silver or copper can be shown cleanly when nested. Continuing with the Johnson set as an example, if you nest with the copper side showing you're going to have a big old ring of silver around it that looks awfully fishy.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3586 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Hallelujah!

David St. Hubbins
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
3962 Posts

Amen ! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Copper/Silver/Brass coins (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2015 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.189063 seconds, requiring 78 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [8] [0] [1] [0] [4] [8] [5] [4]