The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review request - Devil's Tail by Jay Sankey (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Anyone have this? Just curious as to your thoughts. Does this have any useful material not covered in Greg Wilson's Ring Leader?

Thanks in advance.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Wow, no reviews for this?

Sankey is now offering Devil's Tail with iLink for 22.95. This looks like a pretty good deal for the beginner, and even others looking for a new twist on the presentation.

From what I see from the demo, Devil's Tail looks like a nice combination of (finger)ring and string moves. It doesn't appear to be new methods, but it does look like a good medley.

Similarly, iLink appears to use a gimmick that Jay has presented with other of his effects - applying it to an iPhones cable makes good sense.

I am considering this for the routining, but I would like to hear some reviews on the Devil's Tail routine. Anyone?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Thijs27
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Thijs27
I was thinking exactly the same as John :') I might be interested but I'd like to get a few reviews first
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
There are lots of good variations of ring and rope moves, Sankey has tweaks to several that are quite good and make them flow a bit better. Also there is a mix of moves that use just one ring, or two rings. There are so many moves on the DVD that I used it more like a toolbox, and picked the ones I liked and put them together into a routine. I actually start with the two ring moves, then ditch one of the rings partway through and finish that way.

I think this is one of Jay's better products of the last few years. Strong practical material, and you can assemble the routine that works for you...not just a single gimmicky trick using weird props.

Jay gives you a length of nylon rope that's very flexible, and two duplicate rings. I actually like using my own ring for this kind of routine, instead of borrowing one from a spectator. Then things flow much faster, and no one is thinking you're going to damage their ring.

At the current price it's a good deal for all the info.
magicGigi
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of magicGigi
I really liked this. I don't do ANY rope magic, so some of this was new to me. It feels a bit like a rehash of Leaving Home, just with a thicker string and a rink, not a key. But Leaving Home is so organic and I like both. It was worth it to me!
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of bosami
I own this and am very happy with it. Jay does a stellar job of teaching the moves and this brings the rope / string effect into the present day. I for one - never got into rope magic before this. Jay has made it much more organic and natural. The string/rope could very well be worn as a bracelet or necklace. He does not provide a routine, but rather outlines the possibilities. Instead, the time is largely spent on teaching the moves to numerous effects. I give it a 5 star rating.
...forever curious
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I really like this, but I had to replace the rope because it was too short and for my taste too thick to use as a necklace. I also replaced the ring with a steel ring with wing design because it generates more interest than just a simple ring band. I find that the combination of this and Greg Wilson's Ring Leader creates a whole range of routines from short to long, or I can show the same people something different every time they ask to see it. I also really liked Jay's discussion about how a black rope that hangs from your neck or is wrapped around your wrist is so much better than pulling a giant magic prop looking white rope and a pair of giant scissors. I think that if you do the "magic prop" rope thing, you need to have a really good routine, like Dave Williamson's "tape worm" routine. I don't know if it was intentional with Dave (I assume it was as he really puts a lot of thought into his work), but the "tapeworm" premise does something that in my opinion, is critical, and that is to give plausible meaning to a "magic prop".

Anyway, as far as Devil's Tail goes, I really love Jay's teaching. In typical Jay style, he tries to cover as many angles and possibilities as possible.

KJ

p.s. one more comment: I use a magnet device like the Raven where I can easily get the ring in and out as needed, all with just one finger movement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review request - Devil's Tail by Jay Sankey (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL